1985 Eldorado -- New Owner Has Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1985 Eldorado -- New Owner Has Questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am working on a few projects with my newly acquired '85 Biarritz. I am hoping you all might be ...
    caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

1985 Eldorado -- New Owner Has Questions

I am working on a few projects with my newly acquired '85 Biarritz. I am hoping you all might be able to share some insight and advice. Thanks in advance! CaddyMark
    1) Both sun visors are droopy. Is there a way to tighten them so they stay up?
    2) I need to replace information center light bulbs. How should I go about this? A shop? Could I do it? I have the bulbs.
    3) I need to find the rear bumper replacement piece that fits under the license plate. eBay sells the entire replacement (which is in three pieces), but I need only the middle piece (smallest piece). Any ideas on where to find?
    4) If Climate Control works fine and blows ice cold AC but no heat, what could be the causes?
    5) My hood shocks do not hold up the hood. Where can I find these?
    6) Previous owner used synthetic oil (I think Mobil 1). Any recommendations on oil? Thank for your help.... new Eldo 85 owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1985 Eldorado -- New Owner Has Questions

4) If Climate Control works fine and blows ice cold AC but no heat, what could be the causes?
    T connector on the heater hose with no restrictor (if the 4.1 had one).
    5) My hood shocks do not hold up the hood. Where can I find these?
    Walmart, Menards, Kmart
    6) Previous owner used synthetic oil (I think Mobil 1). Any recommendations on oil? Thank for your help.... new Eldo 85 owner.
    Conventional 10W30, but synthetic will do fine if that's your choice.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Regarding the heater operation. Locate the heater valve in the heater hose under hood. You will see a small vacuum hose connected to it. You will also see the metal arm coming off the rear of this valve. At 60 degrees displayed this valve gets vacuum to it causing the valve to shut and this arm moves. Any setting above 60 you should see the arm move the other direction opening this valve and the heater hose should be hot on both sides of the valve. All this of course with the engine running fully up to temp. If all that works, then remove the glove box liner and locate the threaded metal rod attached to the climate control box. Start the car and set the temp to 90 degrees. You should see the rod move slowly and smoothly out towards you opening the door over the heater core. Then set the display to 60 degrees and again you will see this rod slowly move back towards the firewall. If it stops, jerks or doesnt move fully in both directions then probably the climate control box is faulty. All this is assuming the car has a thermostat and its a 195 F unit. Post back with what you have seen. I use ROTELLA 20/50 diesel oil in my 84. Have done so on 4 Cads I've owned of this era. There is no "T" in the heater hose on your car.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The info center bulbs require removing the plastic wood cover over the speedo, lowering the steering column, reaching in behind to unsnap the speedo cable then remove the screws holding the speedo in. Then gently pull towards you to reach up and disconnect the wire harness, then remove the speed sensor wiring behind the speedometer. Have 2 beers and with the cluster on the workbench replace ALL the bulbs. A 2 hour job at a minimum and at least one bloodly wrist!! NO REAL PROPER WAY TO TIGHTEN THE VISORS BECAUSE THE ROD SLIDES INTO A PLASTIC SLEEVE.

caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thank you for this information. I appreciate your help! CaddyMark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.