1999 Seville sls alternator replacement?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 Seville sls alternator replacement? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have used the search feature, but nothing yet. I am sure I missed it, but the alt has gone ...
    rnoswal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 seville sls

Question 1999 Seville sls alternator replacement?

I have used the search feature, but nothing yet. I am sure I missed it, but the alt has gone out in the 1999 seville sls. Like others, it is a holy crap moment. I have worked or cars with buried parts tho, so ready to get dirty.

It looks like the radiator has to be pulled as the A/C unit doesn't seem to give enough room to drop it, but maybe it does? It is a water cooled unit, so is it just a matter of removing the hoses after draining and then a reverse for the new one? Or is there a shield that is bolted to the alternator that holds the cooling pipes. I have the car on my lift and have taken off the plastic covers and the serpentine belt so far.

I will give a nod to the gods and pray I can do it in one long day. If there are any tricks out there or a helpful hint, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Re: 1999 Seville sls alternator replacement?

According to the manual, both the radiator and A/C condensor have to be removed. At least the coolant lines to the alternator just disconnect from the unit.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

You can unbolt the condenser from the radiator support and move it forward enough to get the radiator out without bleeding off all your freon. You have to remove the hood latch support to get the radiator out. After that its just 3 bolts on the alternator, 2 spring clips on the water cooling tubes and the serpentine belt and the alternator will come right out. Make sure you get a 99 alternator. They are different from the 2000 alternator because the 99 has a thermister at the battery end of the positive battery cable that is used to monitor the battery temperature while charging. The 2000 does not. They are not interchangeable because they use different voltage regulators inside them, even though some parts manuals say they are.

Jim 99 eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab

I just did this last Weekend on my 99 Eldo, My A/c compressor went out so I decided to do the alternator at the same time. This was a time consuming job every bolt is a bear. You do not have to remove the radiator. #1 raise car support with stands, remove right front wheel, remove all plastic fender inner well and plastic cover in front of A/C pump, Remove all bolts and brackets for A/C pump and push it as far back as you can, You will also have to remove the plastic cover just behind the radiator to get access to the lower bolts, #2 Support the body of the vehicle and put jack under right front of sub frame remove the main bolt holding the sub frame to the body slowly lower the sub from the body this will give you the room you need to get the alt, out through access hole. It may require a friend to pry between the body and sub frame to give you a little more room but it will come right out. Some bolts are a real BITCH to get at and when you do get to them you can only turn them a very little at a time. It helped me to have several wrinches of the same size as the timing of the box end of each one is a little different, Take your time when it pisses you off stop walk away take a brake and go back to it. It is a Hell of a job but you will fell great once you have finished everything. Good luck!

Hey thanks guys. I got it out today, much easier than I thought, I mean it was stupid for Cadillac not to provide a drain screw for the radiator. I had to remove the upper trans coolant line from the radiator, take the fans out, then just moved the rad and the A/C condenser forward and it was easy to get to the alt bolts. One thing though, the plastic clips, or snaps or whatever you call those cheap things that hold the plastic covers....anyplace besides the dealer that might have something similar. Some broke and some just didn't want to unscrew.

I will put the alt back in tomorrow morning and my daughter will be back on the road. There was almost no way I could see the alt coming out through the bottom. Again, it would have been nice if either of the braces were bolted on instead of welded, just not thinking about us backyard machanics GM engineers!

Again, thanks for the advice.

Russ

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Home Depot, Lowes, or you local autopart store will probably have the little plastic clips. I get mine at Lowes in the nut bolt and screw sectionas they seem to have the largest selection. There are on the miscellaneous replacement parts display in the autoparts store along with bolts, clips, window cranks etc..

Again thanks for all the help and suggestions. It has been two days now and seems to be running fine so far. No leaks and a good charge for the battery. Will any code reader you can buy from the parts stores also reset the codes? I have a predator for my 2005 GTO but it is a programmer too so it resets codes but was a bit more expensive than what I see in the parts stores.

Thanks again

Russ

2000CadillacSTS is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by rnoswal View Post
    Again thanks for all the help and suggestions. It has been two days now and seems to be running fine so far. No leaks and a good charge for the battery. Will any code reader you can buy from the parts stores also reset the codes? I have a predator for my 2005 GTO but it is a programmer too so it resets codes but was a bit more expensive than what I see in the parts stores.

Thanks again

Russ
    You don't want to use a code reader on these vehicles. They tend to be inaccurate and not show all the codes. These cars have a built in code reader that displays the codes right on your dash. Read the sticky at the top of the Seville/Eldorado forum about this. It will also tell you how to reset them.

Ohhh...ok...thanks, I will!

Russ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.