Can anyone recommend a remote starter for the STS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Can anyone recommend a remote starter for the STS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm looking for an inexpensive DIY remote car starter with keyless entry for my '97 STS. I understand that some ...
    iconokrass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS

Can anyone recommend a remote starter for the STS?

I'm looking for an inexpensive DIY remote car starter with keyless entry for my '97 STS. I understand that some starter systems won't work with some in-built security systems, but I don't know what that means in terms of the STS with whatever came with it.

Ideas?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ian-STS99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Re: Can anyone recommend a remote starter for the STS?

Stay away from remote starters for the Seville. Not worth the cost, and will cause more problems than you get with it as standard.

Mess with the security features of the car and your asking for trouble.

osu411yamaha is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-STS99 View Post
    Stay away from remote starters for the Seville. Not worth the cost, and will cause more problems than you get with it as standard.

Mess with the security features of the car and your asking for trouble.
    Nonsense. I have had a remote starter on my 2000 STS for a year with no problems. Maybe your theory was correct years ago, but today they make updatable bypasses for all cars. Even the even higher security/anti-theft 2010 cars. i have a Clifford brand and am extremely happy.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

The red flag in the OP is "inexpensive DIY" kit. For Seville that is a recipe for disaster, at least for 98+. Mine was professionally installed and still intermittently trips B3055 codes and the Security light. There are other horror stories posted here of installs, including professional, gone bad. You might be able to use the $99 special on a pickup or Chevy Corsica but I would stay far away from a Cadillac.

Well, that was both instructive and depressing.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    The red flag in the OP is "inexpensive DIY" kit. For Seville that is a recipe for disaster, at least for 98+. Mine was professionally installed and still intermittently trips B3055 codes and the Security light. There are other horror stories posted here of installs, including professional, gone bad. You might be able to use the $99 special on a pickup or Chevy Corsica but I would stay far away from a Cadillac.
    Technically you could use a DIY remote starter on this car. It all lies in the bypass you use. I installed my remote start myself. I made sure I used the best bypass. It goes through the cars data system and therefore I did not have to hook up a lot of the wires. Through data on these cars you can control the door locks, trunk, door trigger inputs, parking lights, brake shutdown, factory alarm disarm, heated seats, defroster, and more. In the old days all of these things had to be separately wired. Now they can all be controlled with one wire to the data system. So basically I only had to hook the data wire up and the wires to the ignition and starter. On many even newer models the installer only has to hook up positive, negative, and the data wire. The newer bypasses on newer cars can even start them through data.

osu411yamaha: What model of Clifford did you use? And do you know what the difference would be between your 2000 and my 1997 in terms of the data systems? In other words, do you know whether the '97 is set up the same way so my installation would be similar to yours?

First I should ask is do you have a basic understanding of DC circuitry. If you don't then I highly recommend paying a shop to do it for you. If you do proceed to to this site. the12volt.com It is a forum similar to this, but specializes in the area at hand. I dont believe the data system is the same from a quick look on the net. You will most likely have to hook up the majority of your wires for your vehicle, but I do promise that it is entirely possible to get it working on your vehicle. I have installed multiple remote starts and have never ran into or heard of a vehicle that is impossible to do.

Also, this is a company that manufactures DIY remote starts. Click on vehicle wiring diagrams and then find your vehicle. It does seem you will need to hook up the majority of the wires. The good thing is it says your car uses the VATS system. I installed one on a Bonneville that used the same anti-theft system and it was relatively simple. The negative is it looks like you will need to hook up about 20 wires if you want to use only one remote. That is if you want the DIY remote start remote to also unlock your car, open trunk, etc... If you don't care about using 2 remotes you can eliminate close to half of those wires.

osu411yamaha: Unfortunately, that link appears to go to a junk link spot (or I can't find anything that looks legitimate on that page). In any case, though, I do feel better about wiring it myself. If the car doesn't blow up when I press the button, I'll post my results back here.

Thanks for your help!

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

If you follow the instructions and use the proper bypass (if one is necessary) I can promise you will have no problems.

newetc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldo

i have a 96 eldo and i have a complete alarm and remote starter by prestige aps2k4saw and never had a problem. I'm not sure if the sts is different in any way. I have had the system for years, never a problem. I think cost was around 200 bucks but i installed it with a professional. I always want to learn more. Good luck. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.