1995 Cadillac Eldorado Heater Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Ranger
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Heater Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everyone, Much like a lot of other people here, I have a problem with the heater on my 1995 ...
    Nightshadow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White STS 3.6L V6 & 1995 V8 Red Eldorado ETC

1995 Cadillac Eldorado Heater Problem

Hey everyone,

Much like a lot of other people here, I have a problem with the heater on my 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC.

I press the "econ" or "defog" buttons and nothing happens, no sound, no blowing or anything. During the summer my A/C worked just fine but during the fall I didnt use either A/C or Heater. Recently as its been snowing, I tried turning on my heater and the above problems occur. I did not have a chance to try the A/C to see if that still works (as I now see suggested in my threads).

I spoke to a mechanic friend over the phone and he said it was most likely the "resistor"?

However, now my car is in the shop with a different mechanic and they just called me to inform me that it appears the problem is not just the Blower Motor but the AC Heater Programmer as well. (With a hefty price tag of $1400).

My questions are as follows:

1. I get the feeling that because they are not able to actually pinpoint the problem, their solution as mechanics is to simply replace what should be working. The mechanic did mention "you never know, might just be a piece that needs a bit of soldering but we arent able to get into the box, etc, etc". Should I go ahead and order these parts?

2. If I do purchase the parts, would you recommend buying them online from someone else USED? Places like Ebay for example.

3. I found a website called gmpartsdirect .com , which lists the part for $770 bucks, a huge price difference. Anyone ever hear of them?

4. Are there any other possible solutions that you guys can think of that wont cost me so much? I think the grand total comes out to $2200.00 for parts and labor and thats just insane. The car itself cost me $3,800.00.

Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Re: 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Heater Problem

I think you're getting scammed.
    Get a second, third and fourth opinion.

hardley-etc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo

what else is not working
    try the AC next
    i would check the fuse first
    do you know where the fuses are located
    there should be 3 fuse locations under the hood
    i think it should be the same design as a 94 eldo

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The ACM (aka programmer) is pretty reliable. The blower motors are not. Enough so that they where redesigned. If you order online use http://www.rockauto .com or http://www.gmotors.com. Gmotors is a Cadillac dealer, ships fast and you can talk to a real live person if you need to. gmpartsdirect on the other hand is just the opposite. Prices are the same (AFTER shipping). gmpartsdirect will list lower prices than anyone to get you to buy, then they make up the difference on the shipping.

Hi Ranger,

You dont know how much I appreciate the help. Is there a way to donate to this forum? I come on here all the time to look into things for my caddy.

Anyway, so would you guys recommend just buying the blower motor first and seeing if that does the trick? The programmer seemed to be working just fine in the summer with the A?C, then again I dont know much about these things.

Hardly-Etc - My fuses are located in the trunk, rear left. I have not yet gone through all of them... as I stated this problem kinda hit me once the car was already in the shop for something else... so I dont really have access to my car at the moment.

Perhaps I should just replace parts one at a time from cheapest to most expensive? I found the blower motor for as low as $20 in some places and $98 bucks on Ebay... from reliable sellers. Auto-Zone sells it for $199.00.

I really wish I knew more about cars, someone on here mentioned getting behind the glove box to check cables and wires, would I have to remove the dash to do this? I really have no clue what I am doing / looking at so thanks for all the help guys!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You dont know how much I appreciate the help. Is there a way to donate to this forum? I come on here all the time to look into things for my caddy.
    Go to the top left and click on "Buy Sal A Drink". From there you can become a supporting member for a month at a time or a year and it will give you the various options.

Anyway, so would you guys recommend just buying the blower motor first and seeing if that does the trick? The programmer seemed to be working just fine in the summer with the A?C, then again I dont know much about these things.
    Hard to say, but as I said, the blower is the most common failure.
    Perhaps I should just replace parts one at a time from cheapest to most expensive? I found the blower motor for as low as $20 in some places and $98 bucks on Ebay... from reliable sellers. Auto-Zone sells it for $199.00.
    Don't buy used and don't buy anything from AZ that you don't want to replace again in the near future.
    I really wish I knew more about cars, someone on here mentioned getting behind the glove box to check cables and wires, would I have to remove the dash to do this?
    No need to remove the dash. Just the lower insulator panel and/or the glove box.
    I really wish I knew more about cars
    This is how you learn.
    mkilmer402 and mkilmer402 like this.

Sweet, I PayPal'd him a little donation. If it wasnt for this site, theres a million things about my car that Id still be in the dark about.

Ill keep you guys posted on this situation as I might have more questions later on! Thanks Ranger!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.