Key Fob
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Key Fob in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Everyone, I've noticed lately, that my remote has NO distance. I've installed a new batter (I've tried two), and ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG

Key Fob

Hello Everyone,

I've noticed lately, that my remote has NO distance. I've installed a new batter (I've tried two), and I have to be within 30 feet of the car or it will NOT unlock/lock it. My other vehicles key fobs unlock 50 yards away or more. Anyone know if I can "turn it up," or possible what else may be wrong?

Thanks....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Key Fob

Might not be anything wrong. My '97 had a very short range. Even less than yours. Found out it was the nature of the beast. All '97's where like that, but it didn't bother me as long as it opened before I got to the car. Why the concern about range?

Because it adds security for my wife and kids. Also because it has worked up to 50 yards in the past, and now won't operate the door locks for more than 20 feet.

Didn't realize it just started. Not sure what to tell you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Didn't realize it just started. Not sure what to tell you there.
    Thanks anyways. Maybe there's a dysfunction with the fob itself. I just thought that there was possibly an adjustment on either the fob or the car.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I believe the receiver for the fob is on the electronics bay behind the carpet liner at the front panel of the trunk. About a year or so back there was a thread about altering the receiver antenna size (length) in order to increase range. (If you range has recently decreased, this may not be germane.) Look down in Technical; Audio, Security.

I also recall a thread several years ago in which someone swore you could increase the range by holding it to your chin.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Believe it or not, with this titanium ladder in my neck vertebrae, that very trick (fob under the chin) allows me to lock/unlock either the truck or STS from over 100 feet away.................(wanna spend 9.5 hours laid out on an operating table to get there, hmmmmmm ?????)(The damage was due to years of HS and college football. The neurosurgery team almost removed my head, took out 4 complete discs between 5 vertebrae and fused everything together. If you look real hard you can see the threads on the sheet metal screws which hold it all together.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I also recall a thread several years ago in which someone swore you could increase the range by holding it to your chin.
    That didn't work. But I did get a small static shock.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Range on my 99 has always sucked. It is aspect dependent - the range varies depending on the angle from which you approach the car. My remote start fob works easily from 75' to 100' but the OEM is ~25' on a good day and some days worse. I find I have to hold the unlock button longer than I expect too. Try holding the button down for a full 1-2 seconds, sometimes if I just jab it while walking up to the car it does not unlock and gives the impression of shorter range as I am standing at the driver's door tapping the fob on the window Also, the battery ground attachment on my #1 fob started to break off; my buddy resoldered it and it works much better. See if your range is the same with both remotes.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    Also, the battery ground attachment on my #1 fob started to break off; my buddy resoldered it and it works much better. See if your range is the same with both remotes.
    I'll see about my battery ground attachment. Hope I can tell what it looks like. On the other fob, I haven't had the guts to pay the $75 for the dealer to program it. I thought I could do it, but found out from them that THEY must do it.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad View Post
    I'll see about my battery ground attachment. Hope I can tell what it looks like. On the other fob, I haven't had the guts to pay the $75 for the dealer to program it. I thought I could do it, but found out from them that THEY must do it.
    Reprogramming requires a Tech II. The battery ground attachment is the point on the circuit board inside the fob where the curved section that holds the outer circumference of the battery attaches to the circuit board. If its flexing a lot it could be going bad. Mine worked intermittently and then not at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.