1990 Eldorado heater n/w - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1990 Eldorado heater n/w in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Maybe with the heater off a little, probably by the defroster ducts because you would not have the blower on. ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: 1990 Eldorado heater n/w

Maybe with the heater off a little, probably by the defroster ducts because you would not have the blower on. It would just be convective. With the heater (blower) on, you'd be blowing that moisture off the heater core and into the car so all the windows would start to fog. You'd probably smell coolant and the windows would have a slight oil film to them.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

Just like you said the windows fogged up on the drive home from work! Looks like I will be replacing the heater core, it never leaked visible fluid into the cabin but I could actually taste the coolant!! I will have to bypass it once again until I can replace the core. Thank you for the diagnostic tips!

vegasdano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

Sevillian- thanks again for the photo- how do you access this area? Is it behind the glove box?

Okay so I replaced the heater core today (not fun) and I can feel heat coming out of the top vents when I use the windshield defroster. I drive about 20 miles one way home from work and I had it on 90 the whole time, while it is definately warmer it does not seem to be getting really hot. Does it take awhile for the heater to reach full operation after a core replacement or should I start looking at something else? Thank you!

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by vegasdano View Post
    Sevillian- thanks again for the photo- how do you access this area? Is it behind the glove box?
    Yes its behind the glove box. The view is from the passenger seat looking down inside. Remove 4 screws(i think) and pull out the insert that holds all your stuff.

The arm on top of the unit in green should move left and right as you adjust the temperature on the climate control. The engine must be running for it to operate.

It's possible that you still have some air in the system. Give it a day or two to work it's way out and see if it gets better.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

While possible, there shouldn't have been much air in the system from jsut a heater core replacement (that is, as long as you didn't drain the whole system). The heater core really doesn't hold much volume as far as coolant. After 40 miles, you'd think the little air induced from the replacement would have been purged.

If there is no bubbling in the reservoir tank, all air is most likely purged.

I just replaced the heater core in my '90 Eldo a month ago and after initial startup, the heat got incredibly hot after idling in the driveway for 10 minutes.

I notice that you still haven't replied with info on what the coolant temp is when you aren't getting sufficient heat. I'd look here next. check to make sure the radiator is full by removing the cap (when cool of course). When you feel like you are getting maximum heat and it's all warmed up, press "engine data" on the DIC and report back with what temp it displays.

Good point. Any air in the system should make it's way to the radiator cap and stay there until it gets purged to the tank.

You haven't messed with the T fitting under the hood, have you?

Thanks for the help you guys! I did note the coolant temp last night on the drive home, the highest it got to was 223 degrees. I should also mention that it keeps switching to ECON from AUTO automatically and displaying AC COMPRESSOR OFF/ LOW REFRIDGERANT. I thought the AC compressor had nothing to do with the heat operation, it seems to blow cooler air when it switches to ECON mode. As for as the T connector I only rerouted the two core hoses to their correct places after I replaced the heater core.

Correct, A/C compressor has nothing to do with heat. However, the compressor runs even when heating when in AUTO and above about 35 degrees. ECON is basically an A/C bypass. It's AUTO without the A/C.

Since someone bypassed the heater, you might check the T fitting. It should have a restrictor in the leg to the heater core. If someone replaced it with a generic T, then you won't get much heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Correct, A/C compressor has nothing to do with heat. However, the compressor runs even when heating when in AUTO and above about 35 degrees. ECON is basically an A/C bypass. It's AUTO without the A/C.

Since someone bypassed the heater, you might check the T fitting. It should have a restrictor in the leg to the heater core. If someone replaced it with a generic T, then you won't get much heat.

What is the best way to tell if the T connector is aftermarket?

The only way to know is to pull the hose to the heater core and look into that leg of the T and see if there is a restrictor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The only way to know is to pull the hose to the heater core and look into that leg of the T and see if there is a restrictor.
    Thank you; I checked and there is no restrictor. I already have a factory approved T connector on the way, I will report my results.

I just wanted to report that my heater is working great now, it looks like the T connector did the trick! Thanks again for all the help!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.