99 Seville STS rear ended, what to lookout for?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99 Seville STS rear ended, what to lookout for? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 99 Seville STS with 35000 miles on it that was rear ended beginning of November. The Geico ...
    mmidyette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Gold with Black Int.

99 Seville STS rear ended, what to lookout for?

I have a 99 Seville STS with 35000 miles on it that was rear ended beginning of November. The Geico (Insurer of the guy that hit me) repair facility is nearing completion of almost $4000.00 in repairs, and I am looking for advice on what i should look out for with this type of hit when I pickup my car, frame adjustment, specific places to easily check, questions to ask, Etc.

Site 200911131134_084Small.jpg

Home Rear Open PICT8384Small.jpg

Rear Door overview PICT8393Small.jpg

Thanks for any Info,

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: 99 Seville STS rear ended, what to lookout for?

$4K on a 99? I'm surprised they didn't just total it out. I would check:

The gap you pointed out in the pictures
    Remove the trunk carpet and check the trunk floor for buckles/bows
    Rear light operation & bulbs
    ELC (level ride) operation - sit on the rear bumper and make sure the compressor fires and suspension inflates
    Interior trunk and fuel door remote release operation
    Trunk gasket installation - check for water leaks
    They should do a 4-wheel alignment
    Take a short test drive and pull codes - look for anything new, particularly U codes that could indicate a wiring problem

osu411yamaha is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Your first mistake was allowing them to fix the car at their repair facility. The sole reason they try to talk you into doing that is, because its cheaper for them. The only way they can make a process like this cheaper is by taking shortcuts. I would definitely make them pay to have it inspected by another facility of your choice before accepting the vehicle.

@osu411yamaha,

The place that they use is one that i would have considered using myself, so hopefully they do a good job.

@chubbyranger,

From their Estimate shown below, they show:
    27# RPR SETUP & MEASURE 2.0
    28# RPR PULL & ALIGN 4.0

That should cover alignment?
    Geico's site shows photos with cover off.

Geico723706506_P_4Small.jpg

Geico723706506_P_5Small.jpg

From their quote:

1 REAR BUMPER
    2** REPL RECOND BUMPER COVER 1 380.00 2.1 3.2
    3 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 1.3
    4 REPL ABSORBER 1 127.44
    5 REAR LAMPS
    6 R&I LT TAIL LAMP ASSY STS INCL.
    N 7* REPL QUAL RECY PARTS RT TAIL LAMP 1 168.75* INCL.*
    ASSY STS +25%
    8 TRUNK LID
    N 9* REPL QUAL RECY PARTS TRUNK LID 1 312.50* 0.8 3.6
    ASSY +25%
    10 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 1.4
    11 R&I EMBLEM 0.2
    12 R&I NAMEPLATE 0.2
    13 REPL NAMEPLATE "32 V NORTHSTAR" 1 38.49 0.3
    14 REPL NAMEPLATE "STS" 1 8.59 0.3
    15 REAR BODY & FLOOR
    16 REPL PANEL BELOW LID 1 489.41 6.0 1.3
    17 OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL -0.4
    18 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 0.2
    19 ADD FOR INSIDE 0.7
    20 QUARTER PANEL
    21* RPR RT QUARTER PANEL 3.5* 2.2
    22 OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL -0.4
    23 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 0.4
    24 BLND LT QUARTER PANEL 1.1
    25 ROOF
    26 BLND ROOF PANEL W/O SUNROOF 1.5
    28# RPR PULL & ALIGN 4.0
    29 REAR DOOR
    30 BLND RT OUTER PANEL 1.2
    31* R&I RT SIDE MOLDING 0.3*
    32 R&I RT HANDLE, OUTSIDE 0.4
    33 R&I RT R&I TRIM PANEL 0.5
    34 R&I RT VENT GLASS W/FRAME GM 0.6
    35# CLEAN & RETAPE 1 0.3
    36 OTHER CHARGES
    37# E.P.C. 1 3.00

Thanks again,
    Mark

raysteen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

I was rear ended in my Deville in July. I was stopped and will guess the Masda SUV was doing more than 5 miles/hr when she hit me. Unfortunately I have Geico Insurance and it turns out the car the girl was driving had expired insurance. I insisted it be repaired at my Cadillac dealer over Geico's insistance iI take it elsewhere. The impact bar behind the bumper cover was damaged and had to be replaced. Also, the next day I noticed the AC blower was much noisier than before. I took the car in for another warranty problem (instrument panel) and mentioned the blower noise. The replaced the blowe motor saying the blower wheel was out of balance. Not positive, but would bet money the impact had some relationship to this. When hit the sholder belt winded me and think I blanked out for a minute....when I got back in the car noticed the ash tray in the floor. I had a bruse on my right leg and probably must have kicked it. The mounting was broken off. When at the dealer, they said they would replace it under warranty even though I told them what happened. Turns out the part is still back ordered since July/

As to Geico, I had $500 deductable and uninsured moterest, $250 deductible. They drug their feet on approving the impact bar and the two day repair took ten days. Yep, I was paying for the rentsl car. I paid $500 for the deductable, $150 fdor the rental car and since have purchased the ash tray assm. for $50 on ebay and replaced than myself. Turns out the dirver of the car that hit me is insured thru her mothers policy (Geico) so the was insurared.....uninsured motorest insurance doesn't apply, but the vehicle she was driving was not insured, so "SOL.'

Geico seems to be spending BIG dollors on advertising for new customers but sure don't know how to take care of the ones that have been with them for many years with never a claim before.

Hmmm...I posted a followup earlier today with Geico pics, but it has not shown up, so this may repeat.

osu411yamaha,

The shop that they used was one that I may have chosen anyway, as my local shops seem to come and go.

chubbyranger,

Their estimate (Below) shows:

28# RPR PULL & ALIGN 4.0

I'm hoping that that covers alignment and fixing the gap. But, I'll now know to ask when I go to check to car.

Photos with bumper cover removed:

Geico723706506_P_4Small.jpg
    Geico723706506_P_5Small.jpg

raysteen,

Yeah, after the first couple of days of using geico's phone (non)support, I wrote a complaint on their site that perhaps they should hire people with opposable thumbs capable of actually picking up a phone once in awhile. I got an email response stating that someone would contact me regarding my complaint...Still waiting.

1 REAR BUMPER
    2** REPL RECOND BUMPER COVER 1 380.00 2.1 3.2
    3 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 1.3
    4 REPL ABSORBER 1 127.44
    5 REAR LAMPS
    6 R&I LT TAIL LAMP ASSY STS INCL.
    N 7* REPL QUAL RECY PARTS RT TAIL LAMP 1 168.75* INCL.*
    ASSY STS +25%
    8 TRUNK LID
    N 9* REPL QUAL RECY PARTS TRUNK LID 1 312.50* 0.8 3.6
    ASSY +25%
    10 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 1.4
    11 R&I EMBLEM 0.2
    12 R&I NAMEPLATE 0.2
    13 REPL NAMEPLATE "32 V NORTHSTAR" 1 38.49 0.3
    14 REPL NAMEPLATE "STS" 1 8.59 0.3
    15 REAR BODY & FLOOR
    16 REPL PANEL BELOW LID 1 489.41 6.0 1.3
    17 OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL -0.4
    18 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 0.2
    19 ADD FOR INSIDE 0.7
    20 QUARTER PANEL
    21* RPR RT QUARTER PANEL 3.5* 2.2
    22 OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL -0.4
    23 ADD FOR CLEAR COAT 0.4
    24 BLND LT QUARTER PANEL 1.1
    25 ROOF
    26 BLND ROOF PANEL W/O SUNROOF 1.5
    28# RPR PULL & ALIGN 4.0
    29 REAR DOOR
    30 BLND RT OUTER PANEL 1.2
    31* R&I RT SIDE MOLDING 0.3*
    32 R&I RT HANDLE, OUTSIDE 0.4
    33 R&I RT R&I TRIM PANEL 0.5
    34 R&I RT VENT GLASS W/FRAME GM 0.6
    35# CLEAN & RETAPE 1 0.3
    36 OTHER CHARGES
    37# E.P.C. 1 3.00

Thanks to all,
    Mark

mitchjagger is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)

Glad I dont have geico. If I ever get hit, I will fight to the death for my caddy. Always get a second opinion, my dads Denali burnt to the ground because of bad wiring going thought the heat shield or something and they tried to rip him off. He got a second opinion and the car was replaced with one a year newer, more features, and he only had to pay 300 bucks.

Sometimes the insurance company is not your choice. From what I have heard, I would have rather been hit by a progressive customer instead of a Geico customer

Mark

Went to the "body shop" this morning to look at my car, bumper cover looked like it had a tape line around the top near where it meets the metal. Its the "flash from the mold" from when the bumper is formed. Shouldn't that sort of stuff be sanded smooth before painting? Any shop people here with observations?

Also, there were several places under trim that were grey(car is gold, see photos above). They said that it was "overspray".

Thanks again.

Some photos to follow up with my above post.

The Geico edge. Photo doesn't show rough edge as well as the real thing:
    GeicoEdgePICT8411.jpg

Should there be a gap between the lower edge of rear window and the weather seal lining the front edge of the trunk?
    TrunkSealGapPICT8441.jpg

What problems will be caused by loose fit up on the black trim on the trunk edge?
    TrunkFitupPICT8433.jpg

Lastly, I hope, how hard is it to get good fitting parts for an older model car?
    PoorFitUp1PICT8419.jpg

Thanks for any and all responses,
    Mark

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

The ALIGN in their quote is body panel related - I would also have a 4-wheel alignment done unless a thorough test drive reveals no problems. For your trunk gap issue it looks like they did not pull the rear quarter out enough. Run a hose over it and check for leaks. The bumper is probably not OEM hance the fitment issue. That's how insurer's save money. The rear window moulding gap does not look correct either - water running off that area should be diverted directly into the rain channel. Again, a hose to evaluate water flow would be a good test.

Thanks chubbyranger for your response. The repair shop still has the car as I did not accept it as it was. I'll see what they come up with next.

Thanks again,
    Mark

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

It seems that body work has been done in a cheap way, not a professional work! Trunk seal, and the trunk edges are not in place! Also from the first photot seems that there is a gap between rear bumper and rear lights, which seems odd.

Also about "Also, there were several places under trim that were grey", are you sure they are using new parts? They may put a used part from a junkyard which was in grey!

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The insurance will not pay new OEM parts for a ‘99 car, heck not even aftermarket, all you get is junkyard parts (literally). The ONLY time you get a new part is if recycled and aftermarket not available and the cost of the part new OEM part will not make the rapair cost high enough to consider the car a write off. Check the repair list notice the “RECY PARTS” in that list? The bumper cover is still the original (looks reparable), but the trunk and trunk lid and bumper shock absorbers are “RECY PARTS”.
    Now here are some issues:

In this picture I noticed the trunk lid was not prep properly before painting (see the chip in the paint witch was painted over). If they overlooked such a big chip that tells me the paint job was cheap, cheap. The paint may look good (is buffed and such) but the paint job is cheap, the expensive part is prep-ing the panel. Also seems to be by the look of the lower lip of the trunk lid brake assembly that they either sprayed over (just put some masking tape over the brake assembly –if that is paint – a.k.a. overspray – unacceptable) or just buffing compound (white like chalk dust – plain sloppy).

In this picture I highlighted the edge of the bumper cover, notice the line is jagged like, well that is bondo and bad cheap prep.
    Please check under all the rubber trims around the trunk, rear glass and make sure there is no paint on rubber. If you see paint on the edges that means the trim was not removed prior to painting, just masked with tape and sprayed over. In that case you should see a demarcation line between the old paint and the new paint. Also ask what panels were painted. The correct answer is: both quarter panels, roof, trunk lid and bumper (also the RR door for blending).
    Check the car in day light for color matching, pay attention to the rear panel and door line. If the roof was not painted ask to show you the line where they ended the paint on the upper quarter panel.
    Remove the trunk liner and check the inner side of the quarter panel, should be painted (look around the edges).
    Look for white-ish or gray paint under the bumper and various concealed corners, that is primer (overspray). It should have been painted over, overspray is NOT acceptable.

Now my rant with the insurance companies (State Farm in particular). I am inured with this company since day one, and two days ago I received the renewal letter from them adding $40 per month as of Jan. 12 2010. I have never made any claim, never been in a car accident (thank Good), have no speeding ticket (or any ticket for that matter, not even a parking ticket). YET they want $40 a month extra (nothing changed in my situation, same address, same marital status, same car same everything). I guess is time to shop around (already e-mailed State Farm informing that I don’t want to have the policy renewed).

Thanks ben.gators and N*Caddy for your responses.

The shop says that car will be ready to look at again on monday. Hopefully the results will be much better.

N*Caddy, I did check many of the gaskets and rubber seals when i was there Tuesday, there was no paint on any of those things (normally non painted parts). There was grey under the door gasket where the rear door closes (not the door itself) near the latch area, and "front" points of the bumper cover, small area shows up in Attachment 54372 above.

Thanks again,
    Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.