New guy here! 99 Eldo Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New guy here! 99 Eldo Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, been following these forums for awhile now, very impressed, lots of valuable info here! I have searched and ...
    Justen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC

Question New guy here! 99 Eldo Question

Hey guys, been following these forums for awhile now, very impressed, lots of valuable info here! I have searched and found a couple threads related to my question/issue, but nothin concrete. I basically want to know where the mileage is stored on this car. 1999 Eldorado ETC. I dont know if its in the cluster itself or the pcm or something. Im wondering cuz i bought the car with 37800 miles and seemed to good to be true from the beginning however it is in wonderful condition. What made me finally break down and ask is cuz i was following a thread where a guy had his cluster replaced and then started having warning messages and stuff come on, and now i am too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New guy here! 99 Eldo Question

The mileage is stored in the DIC : Instrument panel cluster (Driver Information Center). This unit has the original car's VIN embedded, and in order to be replaced (technically), it must be sent by a GM dealer to a repair facility which either repairs the original unit or replaces it with a fully re-programmed unit. If the unit is not the original or certified copy, it will set codes, the first being a "theft detected - car will not start" sequence.

They're not all the same - this explanation is a generalization.

Use the sticky at the top of the main Seville/Eldorado page to pull your trouble codes from the car's built-in system - right in the driveway.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

The mileage is stored in a microprocessor inside the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). If you think the mileage may have been misrepresented or tampered with a CARFAX report or VIS report from a GM dealer may shed some light on your concerns of the actual mileage being correct.

Bummer! i was hoping it wasnt stored there... The first code i had was a TCS code i forgot to write downt he code before i cleared it but it hasnt came back. Second was service airbag warning, it was SDM B1155 SDM calibration mismatch? Cleared it and air bag light went off and all is well. Hasnt came back...yet. Ive read about false codes so hopefully thats all it was.

The service airbag thingy may be as simple a fix as running both front seats back and forth, up and down, and extending and retracting the seat belts several times. The seat controls and belt tensioner sensors will set an airbag warning on occasion.

Sensors in the seatbelts as well? wow these cars are electronically insane

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

LOL, I had that Airbag light come on randomly went I stopped at a gas station to buy something and went to leave and it was on. A few days later my friend was in the car and moved the seat back and I came back the next day and the light was off. Then I moved the seat forward and it came back on. I adjust the seat back and it went off. Now even adjusting the seat won't set it off anymore.

Very strange indeed! BUT i LOVE my eldo, but damn i like the ass on the sts, i want both lol. One thing i just thought to ask, has anyone noticed if the torque converter seems to unlock when engaging the cruise control? Mine does, as soon as i hit set i feel it and i can see the tach jump up just a smidge. And i know its not the little delay in there when i push the button and let off the throttle i keep my foot on it and feel the cruise grab and the needle jumps up.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Quote Originally Posted by Justen View Post
    Very strange indeed! BUT i LOVE my eldo, but damn i like the ass on the sts, i want both lol. One thing i just thought to ask, has anyone noticed if the torque converter seems to unlock when engaging the cruise control? Mine does, as soon as i hit set i feel it and i can see the tach jump up just a smidge. And i know its not the little delay in there when i push the button and let off the throttle i keep my foot on it and feel the cruise grab and the needle jumps up.
    My 99 STS kind of does something similar. I think the cruise servo grabs a little aggressively when it initially engages and then backs off.

True: TCC is designed to be a power coupler only under light to very low loads. Even driving in moderately hilly country works it out quite a bit as it drops in and out with the changing load. If your cruise control is the slightest bit "aggressive" in engagement, the PCM senses a power increase and drops out TCC until it again senses low, steady-state power delivery.

Also, if the cruise is on (in standby) but not engaged, as after a brake application, and the car is a mph or so under the cruise mph setting, when you hit "resume" the cruise takes over acceleration and TCC will drop out then.

ya i can see hitting resume a mph under the previous set speed, but i notice this when im cruising steadily with my foot on the pedal and press the set button. I keep my foot on the pedal till i feel it grab, and all at the same time i feel it unlock and the needle jump a tiny bit. No biggy tho i just noticed it takes a bit for it to realize and lock back up.

Hmmmmmmm...........There's a diagnostic and a fix for this, but someone else will have to chime in - outta my experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.