Cruise Control not working: 85 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Cruise Control not working: 85 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just purchased an 85 Eldorado and will take delivery soon. The cruise light is on (when I turn on the ...
    caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cruise Control not working: 85 Eldorado

Just purchased an 85 Eldorado and will take delivery soon. The cruise light is on (when I turn on the switch), but the cruise does not work. What should I check first? I do know the engine is original but was rebuilt, so could something just not be connected? Can you tell me what to check so that I don't purchase anything not needed - at least too soon? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Cruise Control not working: 85 Eldorado

Make sure that the servo is connected to the throttle. I think it is done with a chain. Also make sure there is not too much slack in it if it IS connected.

caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks, Ranger!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If the green lite is on but the system wont set its most likely either vacuum or linkage issues. Open hood, lean over driver fender and look for the rod that attaches to the throttle linkage beside the throttle cable. Follow that rod back to the large rubber diaphram close to the distributor. Depress the diaphram ( engine in park, parking brake set ) and verify engine accellerates. If so, then look very carefully at the 3 vacuum hoses that plug into this diaphram, you will most likely find one split or collapsed. Then verify the wiring connector is plugged into this diaphram. If all that inspection shows nothing then verify the switch on the brake pedal with the large vacuum hose plugged into it is adjusted correctly. Its adjusted by pushing it in towards the pedal till the plunger bottoms, then pull up hard on the pedal with your hand until you hear a series of faint clicks. The clicks are the switch adjusting to the pedal. 90% of the time as the old engine is removed, the metal cruise control rod snap-on end (plastic) is broken and left off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.