Automatic Antenna won't retract
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Automatic Antenna won't retract in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The automatic antenna on my Seville as of today has stopped going down when I turn off the radio. I ...
    ZeroOctane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 4.9L Seville - Navi w/ backup cam, 40 Series Exhaust

Automatic Antenna won't retract

The automatic antenna on my Seville as of today has stopped going down when I turn off the radio. I can hear the motor of the antenna running but it doesn't go down. I'm guessing the rope/cord inside the antenna mast has snapped or become disconnected. Also, I cannot push the antenna down when the radio is off, it feels like the cord is still in there holding it up, which leads me to thinking that it broke off where it connects to the motor and not where it connects to the antenna. Is there any way to take it apart and fix it? I have two antenna units in storage but I'd rather fix this one if possible.

EDIT: I found a post by Ranger that sounds pretty good, I'll give it a shot this weekend, but if you have a recommendation please do post. Much thanks

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1741941-post6.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Automatic Antenna won't retract

I would not even bother until you have a repair kit in hand. I'd bet money that the cables has snapped. When you get the kit, follow the directions to the tee. They are right out of the FSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I would not even bother until you have a repair kit in hand. I'd bet money that the cables has snapped. When you get the kit, follow the directions to the tee. They are right out of the FSM.
    What exact repair kit are you referring to?

wow, $50. I paid $40 for the whole unit from a yard. I'm sure this could be a do it yourself job, some super glue to hold the two broken ends together.

The mast is slightly bent, but it's been that way ever since I got it and it hasn't been an issue. And I have put oil on the mast regularly.

So i can just unscrew the very top piece?

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroOctane View Post
    wow, $50. I paid $40 for the whole unit from a yard. I'm sure this could be a do it yourself job, some super glue to hold the two broken ends together.

The mast is slightly bent, but it's been that way ever since I got it and it hasn't been an issue. And I have put oil on the mast regularly.

So i can just unscrew the very top piece?
    The people in this forum only make suggestions and try to help, you can do whatever you want.

You unscrew the little knob at the top. Super glue won't work. It needs a new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    The people in this forum only make suggestions and try to help, you can do whatever you want.
    whats the purpose of your post creeker? are you mistaking my alternate idea as criticism of ranger? if you're going to infer I don't care for ranger's advice, then you should take the time to read through my past posts and you'll see that numerous times I have shown my appreciation for ranger's help. so your post is really quite unnecessary and unhelpful.

I think I'm gonna just put in another antenna unit. No point in spending more money on a mere cable when I have two perfectly fine units sitting around. I'll hang onto the unit with the broken cable though.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroOctane View Post
    whats the purpose of your post creeker? are you mistaking my alternate idea as criticism of ranger? if you're going to infer I don't care for ranger's advice, then you should take the time to read through my past posts and you'll see that numerous times I have shown my appreciation for ranger's help. so your post is really quite unnecessary and unhelpful.

I think I'm gonna just put in another antenna unit. No point in spending more money on a mere cable when I have two perfectly fine units sitting around. I'll hang onto the unit with the broken cable though.
    My bad, sorry, wasn't thinking straight.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Since you have spares maybe you don't have a drive to spend few hours repairing the original one but just in case read this.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Since you have spares maybe you don't have a drive to spend few hours repairing the original one but just in case read this.
    That's an awesome tutorial. I do have the drive to do it, I enjoy fixing things, but with 5 college classes and other more important issue's on the cadillac, the antenna mast isn't primary. I have a feeling though that on one a slow day this summer I'll be coming back to that tutorial you made. Big props to you for that hard work.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

You can also splice the broken ends back together by heating them with a torch. It only got me a couple of months before it broke again. Oh, and right after the nylon gets to the melting point it bursts into flames so you kind of want to account for that in the workspace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.