Need engine advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Need engine advice in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking for a replacement engine for my 94 seville sls. I am going to race it in 24 ...
    bigds01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville SLS

Need engine advice

I am looking for a replacement engine for my 94 seville sls. I am going to race it in 24 hrs of lemons. Does anyone know the cheapest guy to get one from? I have an engine lift, beer, and bandaids.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Need engine advice

What's the allowable cost of a car for that?

What's wrong with the engine you've got?

No one does them cheap.

Do a search on which engines interchange. It might only be 93-94...maybe 95.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    What's the allowable cost of a car for that?

What's wrong with the engine you've got?

No one does them cheap.

Do a search on which engines interchange. It might only be 93-94...maybe 95.
    500 bucks total value, for the car, not including labor or safety gear. You can also subtract anything you sell of the car off the cost.

Here is the car I bought:

ebay item 170402514401

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

The engine & trans drop out the bottom. A lift makes this job more bearable. There are engines around but no guarantee's that a head gasket won't blow on a replacement unless it's already had the block inserts work done. I couldn't tear a engine down that far with out going ahead and getting everything back to spec. That would be too expensive for me. A decent northstar can be found but you need faith in the word your fellow man to trust its going to be trouble free. Theres a crash car seville on CL hit LR door & quarter. in the MPLS/ST PAUL area under a thousand. I looked and its a 2000yr. $800 in hinkley CL listed in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post
    The engine & trans drop out the bottom. A lift makes this job more bearable. There are engines around but no guarantee's that a head gasket won't blow on a replacement unless it's already had the block inserts work done. I couldn't tear a engine down that far with out going ahead and getting everything back to spec. That would be too expensive for me. A decent northstar can be found but you need faith in the word your fellow man to trust its going to be trouble free. Theres a crash car seville on CL hit LR door & quarter. in the MPLS/ST PAUL area under a thousand. I looked and its a 2000yr. $800 in hinkley CL listed in parts.

You have to help my newbie questions. What engine years fit a 94 seville sls? It should would make life easier if I knew that.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

'93 & '94. Might be able to use a '95 if you use the old manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    '93 & '94. Might be able to use a '95 if you use the old manifold.
    I just discovered it is a Y vin car.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

93-95 engines should fit. If you find a 95, use the intake manifold that came with the 95 (it was redesigned to give a better air/fuel mixture). There is no difference in the wiring harness and all the sensors are the same so it should work.

The differences between a VIN Y and a VIN 9 are the intake cams, the gear ratio in the transmission and the programming in the PCM. The VIN Y has 300 ft lbs of torque and 275hp while the VIN 9 has 275 ft lbs of torque and 300hp.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This is sort of like the same thread idea in your "Going racing........" post.

The VIN 9 has a 3.71 final drive and would be better for short track and sprint work. The VIN Y has a 3.11 and is a good road car but slower out of turns because of the lower engine rpm at equal speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    This is sort of like the same thread idea in your "Going racing........" post.

The VIN 9 has a 3.71 final drive and would be better for short track and sprint work. The VIN Y has a 3.11 and is a good road car but slower out of turns because of the lower engine rpm at equal speeds.

Sorry for the repeat, trying to consolidate all of my questions into the racing thread.

It looks like you will have a lot of questions. I will suggest a few things... Tell us about yourself , how much experience you've got, how many tools, how much on site help, etc. We don't need every detail but it helps us answer you. If you put it in new member area note that here, some of us don't wander too far anymore. LOL

Put in your profile your age, location, etc. Who knows?, maybe there's a board member near you.

Try to keep this organized. I wouldn't put everything in one post but keep them to the point and don't duplicate them. The guys who look at Seville usually look at the N* section.

You haven't told us what's wrong with the engine. I couldn't see the ad on ebay.

On a $500 budget you have to get creative, Craigslist will be your friend.

I looked at the 24 hours rules. Do you have a team set up? I see a minimum of 4 drivers. Lots of work ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    I looked at the 24 hours rules. Do you have a team set up? I see a minimum of 4 drivers. Lots of work ahead of you.

There are 6 of us, the team name is pimpalicious. I am going to strip the car basically bare and sell of everything to pay for some brakes. I am going to go with ceramic pads and new rotors.

I'm not sure ceramic rotors are good for high performance. Check on performance friction, all the ones rockauto.com carries. If the rotors are good save your money. Cooling vents could help and be cheap using dryer vent tube.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.