2001 STS with one hell of a ignition switch that my key wont turn
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 STS with one hell of a ignition switch that my key wont turn in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I would first like say thanks to everyone for the WEALTH of information on contained within these forums...it really makes ...
    dcogent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 seville

2001 STS with one hell of a ignition switch that my key wont turn

I would first like say thanks to everyone for the WEALTH of information on contained within these forums...it really makes being a lifetime cadillac owner worth it, and saves a single father of two lots of money!!

With that said I have a troubling, stressfull problem.... On Sunday (11/08/09) I made the decision to save myself some of those afformentioned dollars by replacing my plenum boot. Thanks to the users in this forum who share the info they obtain thru the trial and error processes of car maintainance, this was a relatively smooth process. I unplugged the battery (safety precautions) and proceeded to work and was In and out within 1.5 hrs....Naturally I was feeling good, and satisfied being it was my first major piece of work I had done on my car aside from fixing a flat.

Long story short, wrapped everthing up put the tools back in place and was ready to get my car back on the road. When I went to stat the car, the ignition switch would not turn at all
    I tried everything. For two hours I was turning the wheel back and forth, jarring the stick, shaking the car, even jacked it up while jostiling the ke in the ignition....there was nothing that worked

So basically I decided that my ignintion switch had given out, as I have had problems trying to turn the key before, and decided that replacing it would be my best option....Again the users and moderators here with thier wealth of knoweledge and expertise have come in extremely helpfull as I was able to access the steps to remove and replace the faulty lock and tumbler mech.

BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM:
    Per the instructions provided in the switch needs to be turned to the ON position in order for the park lock cable to be removed....I cant turn the key at all....so I am stuck in a rut!! Is there a solution, can someone please help...I have been at this for two days and I am desperate for a remedy!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

BTW....Went to the dealer and had them cut a new key....I think this genius cut it from the same my key which he admitted was well worn down instead of using a master....Needless to say neither work in the ignition or the trunk lock, just the door.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Re: 2001 STS with one hell of a ignition switch that my key wont turn

When you pulled your plenum, did you move the shifter cable where it loops around the intake air tube between the throttle body and the filter? Does the transmission show that it is in park on the dash? The cable attaches to the top of the transmission just below the master cylinder and goes thru a switch that determines which gear the transmission will be in (it is an electronically controlled shifter). Pull the shifter cable off of the attachment arm on the transmission (its a ball and socket connection) and pull that lever all the way forward (that should be the park position), then try to start the car. If its out of adjustment, theres a procedure for getting it readjusted, but I don't have it at work.

Also make sure the electrical connector is attached to the switch on the top of the transmission, or you won't be able to start it either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.