upgrades
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, upgrades in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Aight, so I am thinking, over the next couple of years, of adding upgrades to my 94 eldo. Listed below ...
    pthorne24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Eldorado

upgrades

Aight, so I am thinking, over the next couple of years, of adding upgrades to my 94 eldo. Listed below are the things I want to change. What I would like is reviews on what products would work best.

-Exhaust System or just the exhaust
    -Rims
    -Air Intake

What I am going for is a clean, nice sounding car. I want to stick with Cadillac Rims, but want updated chrome ones. What year or kind would look good? Also, what are good air intake and exhaust products that would have the same quality standards as the Cadillac itself? If you want to see what the car looks like now, just search 1994 Eldorado, and it will be under my username, pthorne24. Thanks for all the help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: upgrades

Leave the factory intake alone. It is as good as you will find and anything else offers no benefits.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Good luck on the air intake, from what I understand it's not worth it (i.e. Caddy did a good job with placement as it sits).

The exhaust is made by Corbin and the rims???? discretion of the owner I guess.

All in all I find the car a disappointment, you can't upgrade ANYTHING without a code lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree or spending a bloody fortune. You can't trick the motor, you can't change the stereo, you can't upgrade the suspension...

The car performs well, but...

Anyway, rant over, .02 spent...Good Luck on the car.

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

As said above nothing can be done with the intake, the factory system is already more then the car needs at WOT.

Rims - go to www.wheelcolision.com > catalog (top right hand side) > scroll down and go to cadillac > pick a model and you can browse the wheels available, also you can click on the thumbnails to see a larger picture.

Exaust - I think Corsa makes a catback system for your car if not you will have to have one custom bent either way its very pricey and the HP gains are minimal.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    All in all I find the car a disappointment, you can't upgrade ANYTHING without a code lighting up the dash like a Christmas tree or spending a bloody fortune. You can't trick the motor, you can't change the stereo, you can't upgrade the suspension...

The car performs well, but...
    True. We all should have bought underperforming, unoptimized crapboxes so we could shell out big $ for aftermarket stuff and spend our nights and weekends trying to make it be as good as a Cadillac.

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

The Eldo/Seville is nice from the factory, but... there are other Cadillacs that do have a more established aftermarket. There's the CTS, CTS-V, and Escalades, for example.

well, i dont want it to seem like i am upset with the quality of the car. I absolutely love the car. So far there is nothing wrong with it. I dont want to trick out anything. I have a Toyota Celica for that. And to be honest with you I dont like driving it anymore after getting the Eldo. This car is amazing. I feel the rims would add a bit more of a cosmetic appeal than the ones that are on it. As far as the air intake I figured that the current one would be fine. Would it be bad to get a K&N filter to fit it? I dont want to set off any codes. I will look into the Corsa Exhausts. Thanks for the input!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

CORSA does not make a cat-back for your car, but they do sell individual mufflers and tips. Your exhaust's main problem is the "crossunder" pipe which runs from the front manifold to the collector Y just ahead of the cat flange, BUT there's no room to enlarge that pipe, so you're stuck with a cat-back. The OEM cat is already a high-flow unit, so some good shop can mandrel bend/weld up a 3" exhaust pipe to a smooth 2 1/2" Y through a decent set of mufflers. Leave either the OEM or another resonator muffler in there or you'll drone yourself out of the car. A good, smooth system will net you 5 - 12 hp at redline. Look at www.corsaperfromance.com.

Another exhaust bugaboo is that there's just no room to even custom weld a set of headers, not that the steel manifolds are bad, just that it would be a way to pick up a couple of hp at redline. (Here's what the rear of a CORSA looks like in my STS. Try for that flow line............)

Forget the K&N filter - it will give you nothing and the possibility of oil contamination on the MAF resistors is ever-present; rather, go to a WIX pleated paper filter - it has quite a bit more filter media than some others, has less flow restriction (the intake system already flows more air than the 280 c.i. engine can handle.....) and costs $6.99 instead of $30+.

When you look at new wheels, remember to keep the same outside tire diameter as the originals in order to prevent speedo and transmission management errors as well as throw off the fuel computer (if your 94 has the function). Do some comparisons of tire sizing in the calculator pages of www.tirerack.com

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    True. We all should have bought underperforming, unoptimized crapboxes so we could shell out big $ for aftermarket stuff and spend our nights and weekends trying to make it be as good as a Cadillac.
    I'm not really complaining about the car in itself (alright maybe I am ) just the fact you can't do anything else with it. Some of us like to spend our nights and weekends optimizing our "crapboxes". If it takes some $15k to put a turbo and whatnot on the car to pull another 100 ponies out of it...well my friend THAT is big money in aftermarket stuff. 300 stock hp is brisk, but the Mercedes in the same class that came with an optional 425 is down right fun.

I like the car, personally, the lines and the appeal (that's why I bought it); I'm just disappointed in the limited (read: nonexistent) aftermarket for the car.

SUB I get it, Corsa is what I thought, Corbin is what I typed...my bad; thanks for the correction...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Some of us like to spend our nights and weekends optimizing our "crapboxes".
    I think his point is, GM already did that for you. I see that as a good thing. I think that is the reason that there is no aftermarket, other than the Tornado and other such voodoo and snake oil.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I think his point is, GM already did that for you. I see that as a good thing. I think that is the reason that there is no aftermarket, other than the Tornado and other such voodoo and snake oil.
    and the fact that the majority of the demographic that purcahse these cars are not crapbox optimizers but old farts who just want to drive them.

Both of you make valid points that I had already considered...but the point is IF you wanted to upgrade, you can't upgrade. That's all.

The lack of aftermarket boils down to what chubby said about old farts. The car is now starting to appeal to the younger crowd (large in part to its depreciation and becoming affordable), however, with the car past its prime in the market (i.e. no longer available) no aftermarket can, has, or will, exist

Thanks for the help. You hit the nail on the head as far as what I was looking for. I figured it would be easier to ask you guys than spend hours searching online for something that appears to be a very limited market. Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.