Mpg
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Mpg in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Help, I had the plugs on my 01 seville changed and now my mpg went from 28 to 19. Is ...
    rjba5450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac seville

Mpg

Help, I had the plugs on my 01 seville changed and now my mpg went from 28 to 19. Is there something in the computer that needs to be reset or could they be the wrong plugs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Mpg

Depends on who and how and what did the plugs. If they were done at a GM dealer you should be OK in that department; anywhere else, and without your direct input, anyone's guess. There's quite a list that will contribute to suddenly decreased gas mileage., but none of the possible problems would have anything to do with the PCM (computer - Powertrain Control Module, in the air cleaner box.)

Read the entire "sticky thread" at the top of the main Seville page titled "How to pull codes". Learn the procedure for entering your car's built-in Diagnostic Trouble Code scanner/reader system. Pull your codes, noting whether each is Current or History, and then go back to the thread and open the link with "obd2" (OnBoard Diagnostics protocol -II) in the URL. Click on the links in the main index box to get the meanings of any P,B,C, or U codes.

Then, c'mon back...............

BTW, Your car takes AC Delco Platinum plug #41-987, pregapped to .050", torqued to 13 ft/lb.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Nothing to reset after a plug change.

trainwreck68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS

Make sure whoever did it did not cross up 2 of the plug wires. On a V8 engine, espacially a higher hosepower engine, such as the Northstar you may not notice too much in the way of power loss and the engine may still run fairly smooth but it will effect gas milage. I had this problem on my 95 Caprice.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

What plus wires? there is no plug wires to mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck68 View Post
    Make sure whoever did it did not cross up 2 of the plug wires. On a V8 engine, espacially a higher hosepower engine, such as the Northstar you may not notice too much in the way of power loss and the engine may still run fairly smooth but it will effect gas milage. I had this problem on my 95 Caprice.

Oh, I'm sorry, my 1995 Seville has plugs and plug wires. I didn't know they made internal combustion engines that had plugs and no wires to get the spark to them.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The latest and greatest ignition systems use either "Coil-on-plug" or "Coil-near-plug" installations: each individual spark plug has its own coil, so the only "coil wires" are the individual 12V trigger leads from the Powertrain Control Module. The ignition "timing" is electronic, not mechanical, is not adjustable under most circumstances, and is triggered by Hall effect sensors which generate pulses by sensing tooth movement on a reluctor wheel or magnetic trigger wheel. Very similar to a multi-port fuel injection trigger system.

Look at my post #2 - that's a 2000+ ignition coil cassette for the front bank of cylinders: 4 coils, each connected to its plug by an insulated boot with spring conductor in the center. The black connector is one of two Ignition Control Modules (one for each bank) which is triggered by pulses from the PCM and CranKshaft Position sensors (CKP) and piston position (TDC) is referenced by a CaMshaft Position sensor (CMP).

Your 1995 uses a system called "waste spark ignition". Google it to find out how it works and why proper spark plug/coil wire connection is critical, as in your Caprice.

AH HA, that explains it.

Thanks.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Don't eliminate the possiblity that whoever did the plugs screwed up something else (vacuum leak maybe?) that could be causing the mileage problem.

rjba5450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac seville

Smile Re: Mpg

Thanks for all your responses. Found out the wrong plugs were installed. 41-601 instead of 41-987. Believe it or not, they are going to change them out today for free. I was amazed to say the least. Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.