Name that part!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Name that part! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I discovered this today while poking around underneath... What is it called? The FSM labels it as "Insulator', 'retainer', and ...
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Name that part!

I discovered this today while poking around underneath... What is it called? The FSM labels it as "Insulator', 'retainer', and 'nut". The other end of the bar is welded to the control arm as one piece.

How does this affect how the car handles and what happens if I leave it like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Name that part!

My 2002 doesn't have it.........goes between the frame/cradle and the front suspension control arm? Some sort of drag link or equivalent. The deteriorated bushings/insulators probably allow the lower control arm to twist fore and aft on its two bushings during acceleration or braking.

Fix them both.

Yes, the bar goes between the lower control arm and the cradle. So I take it that the twisting motion will eventually wear out the control arm bushing...... Crap...

Could it be a 'Strut Rod Bushing'? This looks awfully similar: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_714566791___

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Strut bushings should be the ones on top of the struts uner the strut caps - not the ones you have pictured.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I'll be that's the bushing in question - the same as in the first pictures. "Strut rod bushing" sounds about right, because the upper strut mounts and bushings look different.........

Nothing in your car's FSM on this critter ?? I swear it looks like an old GM drag link, used to take fore and aft stress off a control arm.

Anything in RockAuto ??? (Yep, take a look at your car, suspension, strut mount and strut rod bushing - two different sets of bushings...........)

I believe the bushing on top of each strut is called a 'jounce bumper'. I think one has gone bad on the drivers side actually.... Strut rod bushing didnt sound right to me either but the ones I found look just too similar and the pictured washers or 'retainers' are not part of the upper strut mounting assembly anyway. If it were up to me, I'd call it a 'control arm rod bushing'... I looked all through my FSM and couldnt find any more info on it. The suspension section in the book is rather short.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

what happens if I leave it like this?
    Leave it like what? I'm not seeing a problem.

Tomorrow I'll take a pic of the perfect drivers side bushing and you'll see what I mean Its almost as if exposure to oil degraded the bushing.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It does appear wet and oil will do the to rubber, but it looks like a bitch to change the inner one. As long as they are intact and insulating the metal to metal contact, I'd leave them alone.

Thats what that bushing is supposed to look like. Pardon the foam in the background... I was trying to isolate a 'mystery rattle' coming from under the cradle a few months back. I've got foam, silicone, and zipties all over this thing from trying to find that rattle.. turned out to be a loose front splash sheild...

Anyways... It does appear to be metal to metal but I cant tell how bad it is yet since the car's weight is still on it. It looks like I'll have to disconnect the ball joint and control arm bushings just to get it out. Hopefully I can make something to wedge in there to buy me some time...

trainwreck68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS

It looks like what used to be called a King Pin (it imobilized the lower control arm to keep it from shifting front to back) and obviously that would be the king pin bushings. I know they used these on some older cars, not nessarily Caddys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.