castrol edge vs mobil 1 extanded performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, castrol edge vs mobil 1 extanded performance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; any ideas people on which is better or which would u rather have in your car ???...
    topboss718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac seville sts

castrol edge vs mobil 1 extanded performance

any ideas people on which is better or which would u rather have in your car ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

Re: castrol edge vs mobil 1 extanded performance

In my opinion oil is oil, go to your local auto parts store and find an oil in your viscosity range, in whatever brand you feel comferatable with. slap a WIX or NAPA GOLD oil filter on and your good to go! (NAPA GOLD = WIX)

Personally I use NAPA 10w-30 and a NAPA GOLD filter I dont mess with synthetics or any of that because thats not what the car had in it from the factory.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your engine is spec'd for a name brand 5W-30 oil, either dino, blend or synthetic, whatever floats your boat. Your owner's manual says you can also use 10W-30 but in NY, with colder weather coming, I would stay with the 5W-30 oils.

The 2000+ engines use roller cam followers with static hydraulic lash adjusters instead of the older direct-acting hydraulic followers, so additives and "extended mileage" packages are not needed.

cadillacowners is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

I've got an 01 STS with 93k miles and use regular Castrol 5w-30 oil and a WIX filter. No problems and runs great but she does need a quart every 1500 miles or so.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Dont fall for "extended anything". Thats all marketing hype! Quality oil, correct viscosity, quality filter and change every 5,000 miles or 6 months.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

He's got an '01. With highway miles he may get a lot more than that. I do.

topboss718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac seville sts

i have a 2001 cadillac seville sts with 128000 miles on it and if i had to choice i would go with the castrol i looked at the back of the bottle and it surpassed more oils then the mobile 1 had surpassed, it also surpassed all the same oils mobil 1 passed and more. i choose castrol 5-w30 edge oil for my car so far its great but its too soon to tell didnt put 100 miles on it after the oil change. when i reed my users manuel it said to use synthetic and no additives, i use to put castrol 5-w30 with a stabilizer regular oil didnt like it too much

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 2002 manual (pp 6-11 to 6-16) says to use 'starburst" automotive oils in the recommended viscosity range, preferably 5W-30. The only reference to synthetic oils is a paragraph which recommends a 5W-30 or 0W-30 if temperatures drop to -20 degrees F in order to promote cold oil flow.

Otherwise you can use dino, blends, or synthetics, whatever floats your boat. None of the 3 types will void a new car or extended warranty. Additives are not recommended.

Superiority claims on oil bottles or in advertisements are just that: claims. The conditions under which "my oil is better" are so limited that the average daily driver or trucker could never tell the difference what lube oil was in the engine.

Oil stabilizers are great for engines that are laid up for long periods, such as resto rods or trailer queens, cars that see primarily summer/fair weather use, and extended layup such as deployment storage or winter garaging. Stabilizers can be bought just about anywhere, but the best place (least expensive) is a West Marine or large boat store - marine gasoline engines need, and use, a lot of stabilizers due to the nature of the beast: Run like hell all weekend and then sit for a month or so. I do not use stabilizer in the STS. I do use it in my Olds 455's.

kckranz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder

.......all that mentioned above, plus I consider Wal-Mart's Supertech a "name brand"

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by kckranz View Post
    .......all that mentioned above, plus I consider Wal-Mart's Supertech a "name brand"
    I can concur here. Both my Caddy's have lived on 5w-30 SuperTech from Wal-Mart for the last few years with no problems. The D has 204,000 miles, the E has 108,000. I also use it in the '93 Caprice with 155,000 miles, but I've only had the bubble wagon for two years so it's too early to confirm how it works in a SBC... lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.