Just bought a Seville, troubleshooting advice?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Just bought a Seville, troubleshooting advice? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys! Just became the owner of a '94 Seville SLS with the N* last week. I paid $500 for ...
    skibum8199 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville SLS

Just bought a Seville, troubleshooting advice?

Hi guys! Just became the owner of a '94 Seville SLS with the N* last week. I paid $500 for it from a guy who got it from a police impound auction (LOL). All he had to do was replace the starter to get it running.

It runs well, shifts well, and has way more power than I'm used to. The cabriolet top is intact and aside from a few dents and scratches the paint is in decent shape. No radio, but I'm working on that. It needs exhaust work and I'm trying to diagnose some problems.

So now the bad. It leaks oil, and after searching through here quite a bit and learning the awesome news about the oil pan, I went ahead and took out all the bolts (except that 15mm one, no wobble extension), cleaned em, and thread sealed. Unfortunately, I don't think that fixed the problem, though it may just have reduced the leaking. I've only driven it about 30 miles since the oil change and pan work and I'll see how much oil is under it tomorrow morning.

So I pulled the codes yesterday while changing the oil:
    P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem
    P052 (E052) .................................................. ..... PCM Memory Reset
    P109 (E109) ....... Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power
    I052 .................................................. ..... Keep Alive Memory Error
    A048 .................................................. .... Low Refrigerant Pressure
    S036 ...................... Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open
    S038 ................... Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open
    S044 .................................................. ... Lift or Dive Signal Fault

All History, not Current.

So! After new hood struts, air filter, low beam bulbs, oil, oil filter, washer fluid, and a semi-thorough cleaning of the oil pan and surrounding area, I reset the codes. Drove some, and it still drives! I got back and pulled the codes again, and here's what I'm getting still:

P039-H, A048-H, and S038-H

I think I just need to top off the refrigerant for the A/C, but what do the other two mean? Faulty wiring in the suspension somewhere? That P039 kinda worries me.

Also, when I filled up with gas, the needle was buries on empty. It very very slowly crept up to near-full after about 5 minutes, but would randomly drop to empty again. Any idea what would cause fuel gauge fluctuations?

Also, the parking brake doesn't disengage when I shift to drive or reverse. Is there any way to manually release the brake? If not, how might I fix this?

Just want to say thanks to all you Caddy freaks! This site has been great help so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: Just bought a Seville, troubleshooting advice?

Fuel level: the sender is likely screwed. R&R the sender or replace the whole unit.
    Parking brake:the release diagraphm is likey shot.
    too much to be more help but will try to add more tomorrow.

Thanks, Chub! I suppose I should be on the prowl for a service manual now as well.

RDHambrice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ELC

Hello SkiBum
    Good luck with your project. This is a good place for reliable help. You should have a manual brake release trigger under left side of dash just above the brake. Hang with it.
    RDH

Much better in the morning. Try eBay for a Factory Service Manual - don't bother with Haynes or Chiltons, they're useless for Cadiilacs. The suspension codes may be a compressor malfunction, the level ride should cycle for a few seconds at each start. Try opening the trunk and sitting on the rear trunk lip to see if the system reacts normally. As for the TCC code I'd just watch that for now as replacng the TCC requires R&R of the transmission.

And if your P-brake is not releasing the vacuum diaphragm may be shot which usually causes a vacuum leak and plays hell with the HVAC. If its not working I'd probably pull the hose and plug it for now.

Thanks so far, guys! I attached a few pictures of the new toy.

I may just go with the electronic FSM and put my rarely-used printer to good use.
    Attached Images

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by skibum8199 View Post
    I may just go with the electronic FSM and put my rarely-used printer to good use.
    Some prefer a paper manual but, it is quite a bargain at $15.

Antiqueairways is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The manual brake release info is in the owners manual. Basically, just reach up beside the top of the pedal and you'll feel a plastic handle, just pull down. If the codes are all History, ignor them, they will eventually go away after a certain number of cycles providing the issue does not reoccur. Good luck

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Clear the codes and see which come back. Low battery voltage sets random codes and that may have happened if the car sat long.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.................if you're a computer-savvy surfer, subscribe your car for a year or more to www.alldatadiy.com . The entire GM Service Manual plus DTC's, TSB's, Recalls, labor times, some parts prices, torque values, specs, diagnostic trees, more info than you'll ever be able to read.

Thanks very much, guys! Great suggestions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.