99sts water pump R&R/ABS&TRACTION ON??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99sts water pump R&R/ABS&TRACTION ON?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well first of all, thanks to all that posted info on R&R of water pump. My bearing seal had a ...
    luckychum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 sts seville

Smile 99sts water pump R&R/ABS&TRACTION ON??

Well first of all, thanks to all that posted info on R&R of water pump. My bearing seal had a leak due to a worn wobbley internal bearing and a questional belt tentioner. I replaced both, the belt tentioner was a snap, but the water pump cartriage was a bear. I went to Autozone and purchased a Duralast water pump and the OEM socket tool to perform the R&R. I figured my 200 LB 1/2 in torge wrench would do the job,,,,NOT!!! The ratchet broke causing the tool to slip off damaging the area where the tool seated. I purchased 1/2 in breaker bar with no ratchet to fail, but the tool kept sliding off the damaged area ( metal no longer 90 degree now 45 degree slip & slide) Thought about replaceing the intire crossover housing got a price quote from local dealer, around $300+ for parts and gaskets. Read some threads and posts on R&R of crossover. Found out there is alot more involved, in removing items to get to crossover, also my gaskets are not leaking so why mess with it if I can figure out how to get the damaged pump out. Read through more threads and one mentioned inpact gun. Rode a borrowed bicycle to Autozone and bought electric inpact gun, the plan was try the gun and if it failed ride the bike to the dealer for crossover and what ever gaskets I would need to re-install removed parts. Whalaaaa the inpact gun kicked the stuck damaged water pump out as easy as buttering bread. Installed o-rings and pump, new belt and tentioner, then reinstalled housing cover, hoses, clamps and air intake componets. Added new anti freeze, no leaks, but engine wont turn over. OOPS, I left the battery hooked up so I could listen to the radio, ran the battery down, got a jump the car started no water leaks. Warning lites shows ABS and Traction Control also DIC shows service suspension and steering systems. I figure when I jacked up the car to look under it, to try to see where the leak was originally coming from, it triggered the messages. I drove the car to a nearby carwash bay and opened the hood to wash the lower engine compartment of dried coolant which smelled. I observd the upper radiator hose was now collasped under vaccumm. I slowly opened the cap on the expansion tank which released the vaccumm and lowered the tanks level some. The temp guage remained in the normal position indicating all was well, but I suspected the infamous BANGO BOLT was plugged and not flowwing to the expansion tank. Well it blocked solid, when I removed the hose not a drop of fluid. I put a pan under and removed the bolt the coolant filled the pan and I had to use an 1/8 in drill to clear the through passage. Re-installed all parts added coolant problem solved. Now back to secondary issue, still getting ABS & Traction Control lites along with service suspension and steering. Read some threads some suggest: low battery voltage, Ignition switch, bearing sensors, poor grounds, ECTBM?, or pump issues, and one post said it happens when your brake fluid is low. There does seem to be a new electric pump noise coming from the rear engine compartment and can be heard in the cab as well. Any advice on whats going on will be greatly appreciated. I definetly got some coolant on the ABS block positioned below the water pump, not sure what its called, but it has high pressure lines coming from it so my guess is ABS. The car drives OK so I will investigate tomarrow after work. I guess I shoud look at the bright side now maybe I will be able to use my new toy AKA IMPACT GUN.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: 99sts water pump R&R/ABS&TRACTION ON??

Pull codes using the onboard code reader. See the sticky at the top of the main forum page. If you get C1242 and/or C1243 you should try cleaning the BPMV ground. BPMV = brake pressure modulator valve a.k.a. the thing you spilled antifreeze on. You should also thoroughly clean the BPMV electrical connector that you showered with coolant as that is most likley the cause of your MILs. And go easy with the impact wrench.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

I'll put my bet on the electrical connectors on the EBTCM/BPMV (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module/Brake Pressure Modulator Valve) got coolant in them from the water pump change.

Pull them off and douche them out good with either alcohol or electrical contact cleaner, inspect both the connector and receptacles, allow them to dry thoroughly then reinstall. There are recent pictures posted on this forum of these connectors having a meltdown after coolant system maintenance on a 97 Deville.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...urn-wires.html

luckychum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 sts seville

Thanks Chubby Ranger and OO Deville, I cleaned ground and all connections on the BPMV used can of starting fluid and compressed air to blow dry. Re-connected plug in harnessess started car all warning signals no longer present, BOOYAAAA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.