replacing bose system
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, replacing bose system in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; my wife is finally letting me ditch the bose system in her 92 seville sts (after the 2nd speaker blew) ...
    vartok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92 Seville STS

replacing bose system

my wife is finally letting me ditch the bose system in her 92 seville sts (after the 2nd speaker blew) i just want to check a few things befor i order the headunit and speakers...

i know the stoke bose unit uses an exturnal amp... im wanting to bypass this, so i plan on running all new wire for all 4 speakers... looking online for the wireing harness, the one for the non-bose system looks lik the one for the bose... the bose ones just has rca cables for the amp.... its also like $50 insted of like $8.... since im not wanting to use the amp, could i just get the cheaper one or are the plugs actually different...... im also not wanting to just splice into the factory wireing cus when we sell it, were gonna put the bose back in

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: replacing bose system

Quote Originally Posted by vartok View Post
    my wife is finally letting me ditch the bose system in her 92 seville sts (after the 2nd speaker blew) i just want to check a few things befor i order the headunit and speakers...

i know the stoke bose unit uses an exturnal amp... im wanting to bypass this, so i plan on running all new wire for all 4 speakers... looking online for the wireing harness, the one for the non-bose system looks lik the one for the bose... the bose ones just has rca cables for the amp.... its also like $50 insted of like $8.... since im not wanting to use the amp, could i just get the cheaper one or are the plugs actually different...... im also not wanting to just splice into the factory wireing cus when we sell it, were gonna put the bose back in

I went through this about 5 years ago with my 92 eldo., I replaced everything,dont try to combine bose with after market components,
    it's really not a big job to replace everything,your after market unit should have a built in amp,so forget about the bose altogether,it wouldn't be worth your time to remove new system when you sell the car as an after
    market shouldn't cost all that much, you also will need an antenna lead to run from new unit to rear antenna.

Forgot to say,you dont need a wiring harness as new unit should supply enough wire for the new speakers, you can also buy a new dash adaptor
    plate.

mitchjagger is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)

You will need to keep the stock unit wired in somewhere in the car, the trunk is a popular place to relocate it to. You will need to do this to keep the theftlock from locking down the car and to keep the chimes. dont buy any special harness that is supposed to take car of those issues, they dont work and cause more headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjagger View Post
    You will need to keep the stock unit wired in somewhere in the car, the trunk is a popular place to relocate it to. You will need to do this to keep the theftlock from locking down the car and to keep the chimes. dont buy any special harness that is supposed to take car of those issues, they dont work and cause more headaches.
    When I did mine all I did was disconnect old stuff and put in new stuff,
    maybe in 92 things were not as involved with the theftlock.

Cleaner1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC Kathy (deceased), 1996 Eldorado ETC Sylvia

I never had any problems when I replaced mine...96 eldorado.

i was wanting to get the plug so i didnt have to run a new power, switch power, ground, and ant. cable....

i was wanting to get the plug so i didnt have to run a new power, switch power, ground, and ant. cable....
    Believe me you are reading too much into this, you dont need a new power switch,you dont need a special ground,the antenna lead is just an
    adaptor that plugs into new unit and runs to existing antenna, it's not the
    coax type of wire, I dont know what you mean by a plug, the power switch is the on-off button on the new unit.

ok... this is what i mean...

non-bose
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207018...r.html?tp=3486

bose

sorry if thouse dont work right.... im doing this from my phone....

so my question is, is the wireing on those two the same except for the rca plugs? i cant really tell that well from the pics... btw i can get the non-bose one at a local store for way cheaper... just wanna know if it would work

edit: fixed links

ok... this is what i mean...

non-bose

bose

sorry if thouse dont work right.... im doing this from my phone....

so my question is, is the wireing on those two the same except for the rca plugs? i cant really tell that well from the pics... btw i can get the non-bose one at a local store for way cheaper... just wanna know if it would work

edit: fixed links
    Forget about both of your examples,forget about trying to adapt to the old system, you are putting in a brand new system,your new unit will have all the correct wires on it already.

ok... then what am i hooking the wire that the headunit comes with, up to? i.e. the two power wires and the ground

ok... then what am i hooking the wire that the headunit comes with, up to? i.e. the two power wires and the ground
    I'm going back 5 years from when I did my first 92 eldo.,when you buy your new unit it will have eight wires for the speakers and one wire for the power,do you have a head unit already with two power wires on it?.

every headunit ive installed had the 8 wires for speakers, a ground, and main 12v power and a switch 12v power... and a remote wire for either a sub or a power ant. and i kinna need that one to raise the ant.

every headunit ive installed had the 8 wires for speakers, a ground, and main 12v power and a switch 12v power... and a remote wire for either a sub or a power ant. and i kinna need that one to raise the ant.

Sorry, all I can tell you is what I did, and it worked,I never gave any thought to the power antenna and it worked, every thing worked.

ok, what did you connect the power to?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.