replacing bose system - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, replacing bose system in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by vartok ok, what did you connect the power to? It sounds like you've had more experience than ...
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: replacing bose system

Quote Originally Posted by vartok View Post
    ok, what did you connect the power to?
    It sounds like you've had more experience than me, anyway, connect the power line from the old unit to the power line on your new unit, all the wires on your new unit will be tagged, you could also ask the clerk at the
    audio store.

vartok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92 Seville STS

so did you like cut the end off the factoy plug? or just splice into the wire?

Quote Originally Posted by vartok View Post
    so did you like cut the end off the factoy plug? or just splice into the wire?
    I have no idea what a factory plug is, it sounds like you are still trying to adapt the new system to the old, pretend you bought a brand new car without a sound system, start from scratch and put in a brand system.

mitchjagger is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)

I agree with Creeker. Pretend there is no stereo in the car and start over. Like I said before YOU WILL HAVE TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL UNIT WIRED UP SOMEWHERE IN THE CAR. If you dont the car is going to get wanky. All that needs to stay wired to the stock unit is: power, ground, databus wires, and a speaker if you want the door chimes. This is a big project, especialy if you have never wired a car stereo before. I would check in the audio/video forums for more info, but if this sounds like to much bring it in to a qualified ASE installer with all the stuff already purchased I am guessing labor will be around 500.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjagger View Post
    I agree with Creeker. Pretend there is no stereo in the car and start over. Like I said before YOU WILL HAVE TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL UNIT WIRED UP SOMEWHERE IN THE CAR. If you dont the car is going to get wanky. All that needs to stay wired to the stock unit is: power, ground, databus wires, and a speaker if you want the door chimes. This is a big project, especialy if you have never wired a car stereo before. I would check in the audio/video forums for more info, but if this sounds like to much bring it in to a qualified ASE installer with all the stuff already purchased I am guessing labor will be around 500.
    I still claim all I did was remove old system on my 92 eldo. and installed
    new after market with no special care or protection of existing system,
    in 92 the wiring and bells and whistles were not as sophistocated as a 2002, I have also guided at least two other members of this forum with early 90's caddies on this and they worked out fine, maybe when I did mine I didn't realize I was leaving the "original unit wired up in the car",
    what I actually removed were the speakers and a/m-f/m-disc. player, and left everything else intact.

mitchjagger is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS 97 Deville(Previous)

I could be wrong, but I figure that the headunits, bose or not, is still attached to the vin of the car. If not, that it makes it that much easier. I am just speaking by experience of all the cadillacs that I installed a unit in, none were as old as a 92 though.

Check with the guys in the audio/video forums to confirm one or the other.

Papi_MaC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 01 DTS/ 95 ETC (For Sale)/SOLD 90 92 95 DeVille

I upgraded the HU in my 1995 Concours before I sold it, after a few hours of head scratching, I came up with a plan to test each line coming in and out of the HU and bose amp. I traced all the speakers and spliced some together to fit the 4 channel configuration of the new HU. It worked great and after dropping all the necessary cables/wires for a sub woofer system in the trunk I was very happy with the results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.