Broken hood release cable
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Broken hood release cable in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to open the hood on my 92 STS and the cable snapped. I caught hell trying to get the ...
    2000ForrestGrnCatty is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS

Broken hood release cable

Went to open the hood on my 92 STS and the cable snapped. I caught hell trying to get the hood open, had to take the grille off and finally got it to release. Now I have to replace it. Is this a hard job to do myself or should I leave it to a mechanic??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Broken hood release cable

Can somebody help me out??

Carvone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 03 ESCALADE

Looks pretty easy, the cable is $43 from a dealer so aftermarket should be $25 or so. This is for an eldo but it should be close to the same.

Hood Primary Latch Release Cable Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the radiator support sight shield. Refer to Radiator Support Sight Shield Replacement (See: Radiator Support\Service and Repair\Radiator Support Sight Shield Replacement) .
    Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
    Remove the engine compartment fuse and relay center cover.

Important: Tie a string around the cable before you remove the cable from the vehicle in order to ensure proper routing and ease installation.

Remove the release cable from the primary latch.
    Remove the clips from the cable.
    Route the cable along the body rail toward the rear of the vehicle.
    Remove the left sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (See: Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side) in Instrument Panel Gages and Console.

Remove the hood release latch fasteners.
    Push the cable and the grommet into the passenger compartment.
    Release the string from the old cable assembly.
    Remove the release cable and release latch (2) from the vehicle.
    Installation Procedure

Tie the string to the new cable assembly.
    Install the cable assembly to the cowl.
    Carefully pull the new cable into position.
    Route the cable along the body rail to the front of the vehicle.
    Install the grommet to the cowl panel. Turn the grommet to the right in order to ease installation.
    Install the release cable to the primary latch.

Position the release cable latch (2) to the lower instrument panel. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
    Install the fasteners to the latch release handle (2). Tighten the fasteners to 6 N.m (53 lb in).
    Install the left sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side (See: Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Replacement\Instrument Panel Insulator Panel Replacement - Left Side) in Instrument Panel Gages and Console.
    Install the engine compartment fuse and relay center cover.
    Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
    Install the radiator support sight shield. Refer to Radiator Support Sight Shield Replacement (See: Radiator Support\Service and Repair\Radiator Support Sight Shield Replacement) .

Thx Carvone for the write-up. This looks like a pretty involving job.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

The procedure may make it look more complicated than it really is. I've replaaced hood release cables before and its mostly a job of patience to thread it through the 33 different passages from the firewall to the hood latch. I replaced the cable on my CDV in about an hour.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.