Project: Cell phone mount, MP3 audio to stereo, USB power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Project: Cell phone mount, MP3 audio to stereo, USB power in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For those of you who love to customize your Cadillac, you'll enjoy this project. I wanted get rid of my ...
    ocgltd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Project: Cell phone mount, MP3 audio to stereo, USB power

For those of you who love to customize your Cadillac, you'll enjoy this project. I wanted get rid of my CD Changer and install an Aux in to the factory radio. Since I didn't just want an input cable dangling from the dash, I went all out! This project accomplished the following:

1. Remove the CD Changer and restore console bin
    2. Add an Aux input to the radio (replacing CD Changer input) for MP3 input
    3. Add a 3.5mm audio in jack to the dash
    4. Add an in-dash 5v USB jack for charging my mp3/cell phone
    5. Add a permanent phone holder which didn't interfere with airbags or visibility

If you'd like to see the step by step with photos:
    www.ocg.ca/cadillac and click the third project link.
    power007 and power007 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Project: Cell phone mount, MP3 audio to stereo, USB power

that's really nice. I like it a lot.

Cleaner1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC Kathy (deceased), 1996 Eldorado ETC Sylvia

That looks pretty cool, but I'm sure there are more than just 7 steps. do you think you can post more detailed instructions?

Yes, more than seven steps....but that's all the photos I took so I had to summarize. The project required around 7 hours of effort, spread over 10 days. Lots of letting glue dry, buying an odd connector, etc...

If you need any tips or have questions post them and I can provide the missing details. Things to be aware of...after 9 years the A-pillar mount clips get old and break away from wood (under cloth)...so buy a plastic weld to re-attach them.

eXile is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS Z Rated

Do mine now.

Looks great I'd have alot of fun with that if it were my car.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

You don’t need to remove your CD changer for an auxiliary input. I have posted all you need to do here:

In the picture above the

In the schematics above I used the Power Antenna signal and send it to the AUX switch in the AUX input connector. In the latest AUX boxes I made I used the HU power wire and ran the GND through the AUX switch.
    Is not really complicated you keep your CD changer and gain an auxiliary input.

Here is how to do-it if you don't have BOSE.

I thought about just interrupting the L/R feed too, but I also wanted my console back (I'm not a CD guy anymore - everything is MP3 for me)...

Nice idea though! I read the two links, and just out of curiosity - why are you using the power antenna output to throw the relay? (Why not just interrupt the L/R...not sure I follow how power antenna signal helps...

The reason is simple; the power antenna signal is ON as long as the HU is ON. You need the AUX relays energized (as in AUX signal in) only as long as the HU is ON.
    But I noticed a small side effect, when you open the door the HU the antenna signal is switched to 0 a fraction of second before the HU shuts down (the capacitor in the filter keeps the HU on) and the AUX input relays are pretty fast so in some occasions you can hear a small chirp when the HU is shutting down with the AUX in connected (is switching from AUX to HU). This can be corrected by adding a capacitor to the relay circuit (to delay the relays). But then the capacitor has a big surge when the AUX switch in the AUX connector is closed (so is hard on the contact), you need to add a resistor to limit the charging current and a diode to allow the current from the capacitor to bypass the resistor when discharging. But then why bothering when all these are to save a 9mA current the relay coils are sucking when the HU is off and the RAP ON. So too much thinking sometimes is not good.
    With the AUX input you can listen to any audio device (mp3 based or not) while you still have the 12 or 6 disk CD changer available. I would never EVER give up my CD changer except for the defunct NeoChanger. That was the ONLY aftermarket direct replacement CD changer with MP3 capability. Unfortunately is gone for years now and is nearly impossible to find one used (functional or not). And then is the blue and silver case witch looks in the trunk well … like an aftermarket cheap radio (blue displays) in a Honda Civic. Also even the NeoChanger had some limitations, you can not put more than ~128 songs on a disk (the HU can’t support so many songs as on a CDA format disk you never have even 30 tracks).

donjuan0084 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Do these instruction apply to a 2000 DTS with the Bose system? Are the micro relays and PCB necessary if i simply splice the aux jack as show in the picture?

Thanks

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

That's the first time I've seen an A-Pillar mount for the iPhone/iPod/etc. Were there any other locations that you considered? I have my new head unit with USB front panel, and am considering the best mounting locations, and what kind of mod I have to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan0084 View Post
    Do these instruction apply to a 2000 DTS with the Bose system? Are the micro relays and PCB necessary if i simply splice the aux jack as show in the picture?

Thanks
    DON'T splice in any factory wire. You make an adapter cable that connects between the HU and car harness. On this harness you mount the AUX box (including the PCB and the relays). The car vibrates (allot) just soldering wires to the relay pins won't last, probably you will brake few pins just while installing it. The relays are designed to be soldered on a PCB, resistant to vibrations, and once installed in a small (match box size) project box also insulated (refer to the link for pictures of the box).
    The instructions above are good for any '96-'04 BOSE system (Seville/Deville/Eldorado).

Months ago somebody had troubles with the mirror dimming feature. I concluded, based on the description, the issue must be with the reverse wire (preventing the mirror to dim). I still regret I did not mentioned not to cut wires because that’s what happened, the person just cut the wire instead of fixing the short into the circuit. It did “fix” the issue but…
    So again DO NOT SPLICE into the factory harness (don’t disturb the insulation). You need to modify create an adapter harness with the proper connectors. If you mess it up or you change your mind later is all reversible, no harm done to the car harness.

donjuan0084 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

First of all I would like to thank N*Caddy for his help on this whole SITE!, not simply on a few subjects but a wide range of Cadillac issues. I am a student at Texas A&M, Electrical Engineering and find his post, and others very interesting and practical. I am simply trying to attach an aux input to my bose stereo w/o cd changer, and am not quiet sure what you mean by adding a new connection; I understand the concept, but do not see what store I would locate such connections? I have done a wide variety of soldering and digital logic work but find it very intriguing to see how certain components work; btw this will be my first time to try to understand a car stereo from the inside. While I have done tons of amps and stereo installs I would like an understanding of the innermost components, so I could in the future build on this knowledge and understand various HU's and not be limited to just performing this procedure.

Thanks......

Sorry if by words I can't be clear enough, usually they say a picture worth 1000 words so here I go

Top picture is factory setup, car harness connects directly to the HU, bottom picture AUX input setup, the AUX box and harness inserts between HU and car harness.
    Inside the AUX box you have the diagram in post #6.
    If you click on that diagram you will see a picture of a half finished AUX box, I was yet to attach the harness that goes to the AUX connector. You end up with a "T" on the audio wires and the intersection is the AUX box, the relays just switch the audio signal that goes to the RIM/AMP (on the car harness) between HU and AUX input - Super simple concept!
    Since the audio signal between HU and RIM/AMP is constant (line level) and the volume is controlled by the RIM/AMP based on the digital signal communicated from HU on the car data line, you have FULL control over it (along with all the other audio adjustments: balance/fade/EQ/DSP). Basically you trick the RIM/AMP and the HU to believe the audio signal going to the RIM/AMP is from HU but you tap your own.
    I hope I am clear now, but please let me know if you need additional info.

P.S.
    Let me be very clear about it:
    1. This setup is SPECIFFIC to ’96-’04 Seville/Deville/Eldorado w/BOSE
    2. For base sound system (same cars) the approach is TOTALLY different (see my other posts)
    3. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT CUT/SPLICE INTO THE CAR HARNESS!

shadowt45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello Fleetwood and N*Caddy...... I have a question one of u 2 may b able to answer. I have a 2000 Deville Base. I have added an iSimple (yes I hate aftermarket crap as well, its just my tape deck went out and I DO NOT want an after market radio I like the stock look) using the factory cd changer harness. I Have REALLY REALLY bad engine whine now when I choose the disk changer on the head unit as this is what the iSimple is hooked up too. I was wondering if either one of u 2 may have the radio harness pinout or wiring diagram. I got a hold of a spare cd changer wire harness at the junk yard and was wondering about just tapping into the wires on the back of the radio to see if that would eliminate the engine whine. Tried to figure it out myself but the wire colors don't match up from the cd changer harness to the radio harness... Let me know if perhaps u could email me some wiring diagrams or steer me in the right direction. Thanks again....
    my email is watchtowerservices@gmail.com

The pinout is somewhere on the forum - I've seen it here. If you can't locate it I will scan a page from my service manual for you....but read below first

However, that's not really solving the problem. You have noise crossing over to the audio wires. Suggestions:

1. Check grounds
    2. Check shielding of l/r wires
    3. If neither above works, add an optoisolator ($15 item from Radio Shack)

Using the changer wires assumes you have a changer which will respond to commands on the entertainment bus, or your radio won't change inputs

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.