'94 Seville SLS High HydroCarbon output - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '94 Seville SLS High HydroCarbon output in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so much for trying to make a nice pretty chart for you....lemme know if you cant follow that and I'll ...
    Jake35 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville SLS

Re: '94 Seville SLS High HydroCarbon output

so much for trying to make a nice pretty chart for you....lemme know if you cant follow that and I'll try to re-do or explain

After talking to the mechanic about a possible vacuum leak, he's still leaning towards a bad cat. Not heeding the advice of the mechanic, I've tried to identify vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner (disengaging the tps sensor first..dont ask) but Im afraid I couldnt tell between a vacuum hose or any other hose so may be missing something...otherwise, not able to find a leak. Wouldnt a bad cat get some kind of error code if it went bad?
    One symptom/issue not mentioned before; if I fill the tank more than 1/2 full, a strong fuel smell permeates the cabin...eventually going away. Problem with the evap? And would that cause the HC's to be high at idle?
    Another "issue" is intermittent hesitation at various accelerations, like a cylinder cuts in and out whenever it wants to. Even though I ohm'd the coils and all seem to be in range, after lifting the hood and staring at things like a deer caught in headlights, I notice a rapid clicking sound coming from the 6/7 coil. Idle's smooth...not necessarily "cadillac smooth" but smooth enough for the girls I go out with.
    I've had a p030 and a p070 code, but cleared them and they havn't come back yet. The p030 came back once after some above average driving, cleared it again and it hasnt come back since. Could either of these codes (I know what they are) have anything to do with high HC's at idle?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

One symptom/issue not mentioned before; if I fill the tank more than 1/2 full, a strong fuel smell permeates the cabin...eventually going away. Problem with the evap?
    These cars have been known to rot out the fuel filler pipe. That could cause the gas smell as well as an EVAP problem as the tank would no longer be air tight.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Jake35 View Post
    ... Wouldnt a bad cat get some kind of error code if it went bad?...
    Not on a 94. The 94 is OBD-I and only has two O2 sensors (one on each exhaust manifold). 96 is when they started putting a Post-cat O2 sensor to monitor the cat-converter efficiency.

he might be right that the cat converter is loosing efficiency. But if it is, it's just because it's getting old and not because of the explanation he offered.

Hey Ranger...

Saw you involved in another post on another site called Caddyinfo.com. The conversation went something like this:

"The rest of the EGR must be cleaned out, too."

"REST of the EGR? All that needs to be cleaned is the pintle valve."

"This is a 1994, with the EGR passages under the intake manifold through trenches in the heads. Over about 100,000 miles they fill up and clog. In the 1995 and up Northstars the EGR passages are metal hoses external to the heads but they still need to be cleaned out once in a long while."

"Oh! The "mouse holes". I thought you where talking about the valve, but Angela's is a '96"

So I cleaned my EGR's pintle valve, but knew nothing about mouse holes. Is that something I should have cleaned out to reduce the H/C output? And if so, how does one clean out the mouse holes?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

You see those black rivers of carbon in these pics. Those are the EGR passages on a 94 engine. The "Mouse holes" are in between the EGR valve and these "rivers." It might be a pain in the butt to clean them out. It took me almost 2 whole cans of carb cleaner and some pipe brushes to do it.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Thanks Krashed. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Finally got the car smogged and passed with flying colors. After avoiding a new cat converter the whole time, it turns out the old one was just dust inside the case. After the mechanic took it off, he came over, tipped the cat converter on its end and "ash" just came out. Installed a new cat, took it to get it smogged and the hydrocarbon output went from 112ppm (max 100 allowed to pass California smog test) to 5ppm. Roughly $320 out the door. Now its time to replace the front hub/bearings. Lets see how cheap I can do this....

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I'm glad this thread is over...

'94 would be a "ASM" or dyno test, codes don't matter as long as the stuff out the pipe is clean.
    If it fails for HC and CO both it is usually a weak cat, especially when the numbers are that close.
    Most things that would cause it to fail a dyno test will be noticeable driving like a misfire. When people get failed emissions tests it is amazing to watch how many parts they just throw at the thing trying to get it to pass.
    Vacuum leaks won't usually create an HC problem, it will drive the engine lean. HC is unburned gasoline which only shows up when you don't have enough oxygen to burn the Hydrocarbons.

Oh and EGR is for NOx, or oxides of Nitrogen. It has little to do with anything else unless it sticks open then it can cause some gas reading problems but most of these have pintle position sensors and would set a code for EGR position error.

Glad to hear you got it through, what kind of cat did you put on it?

SSG
    SSG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

In the 21 years that I worked on emissions in a Caddy/Olds dealship I've found that when cars 'JUST FAIL' by a little on both H/C & C/O it was the CAT. I know it's not what you want to hear but that's probably what you'll find at the end of all your other solutions.

pfkaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

If it is any help, I am on my third cat converter, $150 to 250 fix at any mufler shop. I ahd similar issues.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Jake35 View Post
    Now its time to replace the front hub/bearings. Lets see how cheap I can do this....

Post what you find. I'm going to have to do it after New Year's but I have a lot more on the front end also. Struts, maybe ball joints and some bushings, and a bad rotor.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

pfk, you need to buy your converters somewhere else.
    The installer is required by law to warranty that catalyst to work for 5 years.
    See EPA regulations.
    They are installing the wrong one, or a cheap one.

pfkaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

That explaines a few things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.