I need more power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, I need more power in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I'm new around here and I was wondering on how to get more power in my Cadillac STS. Also ...
    GRS001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts 1996

I need more power

Hi I'm new around here and I was wondering on how to get more power in my Cadillac STS. Also how much it would cost for those mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: I need more power

Your best bet is to buy another car. There is limited aftermarket support for performance mods and most everything you'll find is snake oil BS crap. GM got about all you can get from this motor from the factory. You can drop $1800 on a Corsa exhaust and maybe get 5 HP. Go find something powered by a Chevy 350 and mod to your heart's content. N* is not a motor to play with unless you have deep deep pockets and infinite time.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Basically: There is NO aftermarket support for the FWD Northstar Seville/Deville/Eldorado package.

Look at www.corsaperformance.com for a cat-back for your model, then look it up in www.autopartswarehouse.com. That's IT for mods. There are a few DIY tricks in here, you just need to search. A so-called "CAI" is a waste because the car already has a perfectly adequate cold air system straight from the factory. As chubbyranger posted, there ain't much out there.

Go up to the top of the page, in the black bar, and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive and then begin wading through Northstar Performance down below.

EDIT at 1057: You have a 1996. CORSA does not make an exhaust for your car. You might contact Wester's Garage to find out if they have developed a mild tune for your ECM ($350 ??) - it can't be done to later models, though.

eldoradoin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado/Slate

A K&N air filter might give you 1/2 hp.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It's more likely to COST you HP.

Antonino Paino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 elderado etc,1960 chry 300-f,1992 buick rm

thats is so true Ranger, I bought the k&n air filter, it now resides in my garage. lost torque, dont waste your money 96 eldo etc.

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

I really wish there was more aftermarket for the caddy's like ours, but then again it's plenty fast enough to get me in trouble, looks great, comfortable as he!!, and I save money by not being able to do many engine mods lol

Cleaner1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC Kathy (deceased), 1996 Eldorado ETC Sylvia

I dunno...I like working on cars and modding them and stuff, but it's kinda nice knowing that you are driving around in perfection.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You're not riding around in perfection: far from it. You're riding around in a car that has zero to slim aftermarket parts appeal. A company, any company, that did a development on some widget for a FWD Northstar would go broke on the R&D alone, not to mention building the thing for the very few who would even buy the new widget.

stsgus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 STS

perfection of crummy engineering! Total money pit!

GM was my favorite until I bought this caddi in 02. You would think with how expensive caddis are, the parts would be superior in strenth and design. While things look cool,and pretty, they designed them to fall apart too early and made it as difficult as possible for a human to work on.
    Very dissapointed with Cadillac and GM.

98sts

ps-- keep an eye out for blown head gasket! It happened to me 2, yes 2 times! 2 different engines.
    Whats really sick, is after all that I still love my car......

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Mine isn't particularly well built but it hasn't cost me any more money in the past year and a half than I would have expected it to. Mine already had motor work done to it before I bought it, but the car really hasn't been so bad. Seville's are a mixed bag for the most part. Some don't really suffer too many issues and some are full of problems from the start.

Then again, I paid 1/5th of the original $51,992 sticker.

Cleaner1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC Kathy (deceased), 1996 Eldorado ETC Sylvia

My Eldo is perfect:P

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner1974 View Post
    My Eldo is perfect:P
    My STS is extremely close as well! lol

joezaier56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You take the good with the bad with these northstar models, I sold a 94 Eldo 2 years ago with over 184k on it & no HG issues!!! So some last and some dont, you roll the dice and see how it does, one things for certain, problems or not sure is enough of them on the road & the Cadillac brand still going strong as Hell!

joezaier56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Seems odd to me that so many on here say you can't get any more power with an aftermarket performane exhaust and/or intake when I clearly remember reading once in something like MotorTrend or Road n Track that when Corvette and Camaros where running with the same engine platforms, the reason why the Corvette made more HP was purely because of the exhaust set up!?!? So if I read that wrong or misunderstood could someone set me straight on exactly how that applies or doesn't, I'd seriously appreciate it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.