I need more power - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, I need more power in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Corvette and Camaro drivetrains bear absolutely NO resemblance to a 4.6L Northstar FWD setup. For the 2000+ Northstars you can ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: I need more power

Corvette and Camaro drivetrains bear absolutely NO resemblance to a 4.6L Northstar FWD setup.

For the 2000+ Northstars you can spend around $1400 on a CORSA cat-back system and pick up about 20 hp at redline, and that's it. No headers, cats, other exhaust tricks. No intake manifolds: the OEM is a high flow, tuned runner setup as is. It just doesn't say Edelbrock. The throttlebody and MAF bores are already larger than the 279 cubic inch engine can handle. Wide open no restrictions, the engine can pump about 480 cfm. Larger capacities give you mixture codes and a pronounced midrange stumble with a low rpm suckout at WOT from a standstill.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The front bank exhaust pipe has to go under the engine and is squeezed flat somewhat to fit. That's the bottle neck and no way around it so anything after that will be of minimal help only. I think I've heard that if you go with larger pipes you'll get some increase, but not a lot.

kjhansen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac SLS

Get an '86-'87 Buick Turbo Regal/Grand National. You can get 400hp in street trim out of the little V6 easily (600hp in street trim if you're willing to spend the money) and you'll be working on it a lot... So if you like power and like working on a car, it's the perfect choice. Of course it'll ride like a truck and be louder than %#*!, but it'll be fast (when it's running right and not broken)--and it's just a six!
    Keith
    The voice of experience

lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    EDIT at 1057: You have a 1996. CORSA does not make an exhaust for your car. You might contact Wester's Garage to find out if they have developed a mild tune for your ECM ($350 ??) - it can't be done to later models, though.
    I believe that was only until 1995. 1996 and 1997 have nothing to my understanding. They are Z-rated though. So get to 140 and you can pretty much leave the other guy behind while you hit 155.

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

Quote Originally Posted by kjhansen View Post
    Get an '86-'87 Buick Turbo Regal/Grand National. You can get 400hp in street trim out of the little V6 easily (600hp in street trim if you're willing to spend the money) and you'll be working on it a lot... So if you like power and like working on a car, it's the perfect choice. Of course it'll ride like a truck and be louder than %#*!, but it'll be fast (when it's running right and not broken)--and it's just a six!
    Keith
    The voice of experience
    For a price! lol

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by stsgus View Post

ps-- keep an eye out for blown head gasket! It happened to me 2, yes 2 times! 2 different engines.
    Whats really sick, is after all that I still love my car......
    Same thing happened to me - that same crappy HG failure on 2 different engines, and I also still love my ETC, with 10,000 miles since the Norm's repair on the second engine (should have done that the first time).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.