97 seville sls cd player Model ###
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 97 seville sls cd player Model ### in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; got the model # for the above from the dealer, 9376-066, i was told it was the only one that ...
    glyanez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sevile 97 SLS

97 seville sls cd player Model ###

got the model # for the above from the dealer, 9376-066, i was told it was the only one that would fit m 97 sls seville.

can only seem to find 98-01s on ebay. $ 300 for the part with core exchange is the price i got from the dealer. I take it for a new one? or Refurbished?
    Thats not too bad, but i would like to try and find one used first.

Any pointers? JunkYards?

g

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 97 seville sls cd player Model ###

If you are referring to the CD changer the number you are looking for is 16199553. That is the 12 Disk CD changer mounted in the trunk (regardless if the car is equipped with BOSE or base system).
    Now if you are referring to the HU (also known as “the stereo”) in that case depends:
    If your car is equipped with BOSE sound system then there are 3 different part numbers (DSP/Non-DSP/RDS/non-RDS/Export/Domestic) but the part number you should look for is 16249916 this is the best you can get (all except RDS). You can score one from e-bay for as little as $20 (worst case scenario $45 – that’s a rip off). Here is a picture:

If your car is not equipped with BOSE, in that case the number you are looking for is 16249806 (only one number available). Here is a picture:

Notice the subtle difference between the two? Ok I will help you on this. First one has the BOSE logo (in white letters) on the lower left corner of the screen, has a RDM button, a DSP ON-OFF button and a Level+/- button. The Base HU has none of the mentioned above.
    Although the HUs are almost identical (outside), including the same connector in the back, there are 10000 miles different inside, and the pinout on the connector is very, very different. What I am trying to tell you is NO, YOU CAN NOT INTERCHANGE, not even the dealer can do-it. The base sound system is a all in one unit while the BOSE module has one extra module (in the trunk) called RIM witch is in fact the sound system (the HU is just a interface for the RIM). Also the speakers are different, BOSE has individual amplifiers on the back of each speaker plus some extra relays and a totally different wire layout. Again, YOU CAN NOT interchange them. Well I did it in my car, but I change all the wires all the speakers and such, was a huge project (no dealer or stereo shop will do-it).
    Now the bad news, there was NO in dash CD in the ‘96-‘97 cars, I know you might have seen some pictures with this unit:

But this unit (part number 16266926) is available ONLY after ’98 (up to ’01, ‘02-’03 looking similar but is a bit different). Notice the BOSE logo (only for the BOSE cars) and the other logo “Theftlock” (on the bottom right side corner of the screen). Well this is a theft prevention feature that locks the HU on a particular car. As a result you can not take a ’98 and newer HU from one car and install it on another unless you have the dealer to reprogram the unit (about $50 and you need to show a legal proof of purchase). No need to do the dealer thing if you purchase a brand new unit never ever installed (blank). Prices a bit higher (around $60 for a decent unit, up to $180 rip off price).
    So UNLESS you have a BOSE equipped ‘96-’97 car you can not retrofit an in dash CD unit (from the ‘98-’01 models). Now if you do have a BOSE car you can successfully install this in dash CD newer unit, yes the ‘96-’97 cars are ready to accept a theftlock unit providing is programmed by the dealer or is brand new (no dealer programming required). Please note not all dealers will accept to program a newer in dash CD unit on a ‘96-’97 car. They will tell you what they see in the manual: “it does not work”. You have to find the right dealer and explain they suppose to build on the Tech II tool a ‘98-’01 car not what they see (a ‘97 SLS).
    If you have base sound system, well you can actually install a ‘98-’01 unit (as the one you mentioned) but will provide you NO EXTRA feature other than the Theftlock thing (witch is just an extra expense to you in order to have the unit reprogrammed). So it will work but at extra cost for nothing. The part number for the theftlock equipped (‘98-’01) base units is 16236296. It looks exactly like the base ‘96-’97 unit but has the theftlock logo on the bottom left side of the screen (yeah in the space where the BOSE logo will normally be in a BOSE unit). So to answer to your question, the HU you mentioned would work with your car if your car has base sound system and you are willing to pay the extra cost for the theftlock dealer thing.
    Now Deville was always the strange one in regards with the sound system, as a result sometime after 2000, there were some Deville with base sound system and in-dash CD, but no tape.

Let me specify, I have NO experience with this unit, I assume (an educated guess) that will work with any ’96 and newer Sevill/Eldorado/Deville equipped with base sound system. If you have base sound system and you really want in-dash CD player you can risk $50 to purchase one of these units and another $50 to have the theftlock thing removed.

As they say proof is in the pudding, here is my dashboard. I have a ’99 in dash CD BOSE unit.

My car use to have base sound system.

CAUTION! DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy a Catera HU (no matter year and option) will NOT work in Seville/Deville/Eldorado. They look IDENTICAL but that’s just outside, look for the part numbers I mentioned ONLY.

glyanez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sevile 97 SLS

N Caddy, that was a mouthful. Thank you.
    I guess my first concern was that the 98 base cd player model, would fit.Looks like it does.

Yes, my 97 seville sls is a base model stereo system

I ll start searching for it.

thanks

centaur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Past:94,95,97,98,99 STSs, Now: 2001 STS (W-rated)

Okay guys, I'm still a bit confused here. I purchased a 97 STS for a winter car this year and it has the Bose system with the annoying in-dash cassette only and the 12 disc changer in the trunk. If I want to convert it to the in-dash CD/cassette head unit, am I understanding things right in thinking that I can ONLY use one from a Bose, 4 speaker 98-01 Eldorado?

What about the DSP and RDS optioned radios? Are they compatible in my car (it's Non-RDS, non-DSP) or does that require a different RIM module as well? Awhile ago I snagged a spare 99 Bose CD/cass. radio for an 8 speaker STS, but from what I understand that unit will not work?

Thanks for the help in advance as I want to commence my E-bay/Junkyard hunt for this swap!

You can use any Cadillac model In-Dash CD BOSE unit between 1998 and 2001 EXCEPT Catera.
    The RIM could not care less about the RDS that is a HU function. The DSP is indeed a RIM function and you will only get the DSP functions you currently have with the Tape/Radio BOSE unit.
    So in other words YES you can just go ahead and use the '99 STS unit you have (is the same with the one in Eldorado and Deville), the number of speakers is also a RIM thing. Pretty much is just a plug and play, only that you need to have the dealer clearing the VIN from the '99 unit.
    Most likely the dealer will say is not going to work and if you pursuit them to hook up the TECH II tool they will tell you they can not communicate with the unit "told you is not going to work!"
    You have to explain them they are doing it wrong, all they know is to follow their instructions so they hook up the TECHII tool to a '97 STS and build a '97 STS into the tool trying to remove the VIN from the HU. There was no VIN stored in the '97 unit so they get an error. They should understand that once the '98 and newer unit is in they should try to communicate with the appropriate year. So although they are connected to the data bus of a '97 STS they should set up the tool for a '98 or newer STS/Eldorado/Deville. That will work instantly.
    So if you end up into the dealership inviting you to have a seat into the waiting room and serve you with a coffee walk away, you need the dealership they allow you to talk to the technician.

Great info, thanks! So do all 96-97 Bose cars use the same RIM part #, regardless if they have DSP or not? Since my car doesn't have the DSP option, are the DSP functions in the RIM already? It really doesn't matter if I get DSP, just curious and want to ensure compatibility.

Overall, I suppose I'm in luck and I can finally put that spare unit collecting dust on my shelf to good use!

Quote Originally Posted by centaur View Post
    Great info, thanks! So do all 96-97 Bose cars use the same RIM part #, regardless if they have DSP or not? Since my car doesn't have the DSP option, are the DSP functions in the RIM already? It really doesn't matter if I get DSP, just curious and want to ensure compatibility.

Overall, I suppose I'm in luck and I can finally put that spare unit collecting dust on my shelf to good use!
    When I did mine I changed the RIM with a '99 (actually added the RIM since I had none). '97 did had the DSP and as far as I know there was only one P# for all the '96-'97 RIM. My guess is was that the HU came in two flavors (w & w/o DSP) but the RIM was the same.
    The worst case scenario you will get no DSP functions (or very limited). The RDS works just fine (even with no RIM).
    If no DSP and you really want DSP just find a '98 and newer Eldorado (ONLY) RIM. This one is just a plug-and-play thing no dealer visits required.
    I noticed that my sound system (witch is basically a ’99 Eldorado) has no automatic volume control (since I got no mic in the first place) and there was some extra effects in the list that I am missing (I am comparing with a ’01 Deville). I have:
    NO DSP
    DRIVER SEAT
    TALK
    HALL (or some similar name)
    LIVE (?!?!? not sure though).
    I find the talk effect as useless as a hole in my head as you need to press 1-4 times a button (depending where it is in the menu) in order to activate this (and you kind of need to pay attention to the display) when the big volume knob is so easily accessible (not to mention the steering wheel controls).
    On the other hand today I played with my navigation unit (witch 99.99999% sits in some box as I can not quite figure out how to make it work in my car) and man what a nice sound. I compared the unit with the In-Dash CD BOSE unit from a ’01 Deville. My unit (identical – some 2 DSP functions) sounds much better than in the Deville. Now once I put the NAV unit in the Deville, man o man is like a whole different thing, sounds better than the BOSE in my car. And the controls are so nice, the EQ has settings for BASS, TREBLE and MID, then you get the navigation, the DVD player…I really, really, really want the NAV unit to work in my car.
    Probably the RIM and all the speakers will get changed again (as I can get a volume control from the NAV unit in my car, all I get is a pulsing (variable volume) sound when the NAV unit is on the data bus. With 2 NAV units (or one NAV unit and one BOSE HU) in a ’98 and newer I get full control over the audio settings (volume/EQ/DSP) from either of the units (the same way you can control the volume from the steering wheel and HU normally).

Well, it's unfair to compare the 4 speaker Bose system to the 8 speaker one in the 98+ Seville, let alone the 11 speaker Bose in the Deville! I've yet to hear one of those, they have a sub too don't they? The 98 Seville had 425W, yet I've never seen any advertising for power on the Deville system. 2005+ Sevilles with the top Bose option have 15 speakers! Must be fun to figure out when one goes bad, definitely need a Tech2 there!

Are you talking an aftermarket NAV unit? I don't understand how the NAV unit alone would make any difference with the sound, still the same amp right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.