From Russia with Love...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, From Russia with Love... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone! My name is Dan and i am a lucky owner of a 1999 STS with only 43000 miles ...
    D_M
    D_M is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

From Russia with Love...

Hello everyone! My name is Dan and i am a lucky owner of a 1999 STS with only 43000 miles on the board. Frankly speaking i was always thinking of myself an not a fan of big american sedans but after a couple of weeks of driving this caddy i absolutely changed my mind. That feel of smooth driving, that silence of comfort inside, that suprised look of people trying to understand how the hell that huge black unknown to them car so easily had left them behind........very few cars make someone feel the way caddy does

The only bad thing about not even the car but about the country i live - is crazy gasoline prices that are unstoppable in their rising skills and taxes that not so long ago our government introduced for powerful vehicles over 250 HP, for example in moscow an annual tax is 1500$ and from 2010 it will be doubled. But i`m writing here not to cry about how difficult the life of ex-communists is))))) but to ask you gentlemen some technical questions:

1. What type of engine oil should i use - mineral, halfsynthetic or fully synthenic? I have no opportunity to talk to a previuos owener but an empty can of Texaco Energy SAE 5W-30 tells me of half-synthetic.

2. What oil should i use for "hydraulic actuator of driving wheel" (hope u understand ) ? .....some say dexron 2, some dexron 3, some say only special oil but what exactly

3. And the same about the oil for ATF - not a glue!

So guys, lookin forward for your answers
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

Re: From Russia with Love...

I'm not sure on how to answer your question but welcome to the forum!!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Welcome and Good Morning !!!!! I am a retired U.S. Submariner so am well acquainted with some of your country's work......... I also use a number of Sovtek and Svetlana (St.Petersburg) vacuum tubes in my stereophonic amplifiers................

So.........If you can obtain and use a semi-synthetic 10W-30 motor oil that is perfectly adequate for your engine. Maintain the level at halfway up the dipstick indicator band as the FULL or MAX mark is actually 1/2 quart (0.4L) overfilled and will lead to a false impression of oil consumption. (Your engine is specified for 10W-30 oil, but if you frequently encounter temperatures below 0 C then 5W-30 is permitted - BUT you should not run for extended high speed periods (above 120 km/h) in warm weather while using 5W-30.)

"Power steering" fluid is a light mineral hydraulic oil, not ATF or DEXRON-III transmission fluids. It may be difficult to obtain, but it is specifically named "Power Steering Fluid". Perhaps a German friend or company can be of help.

The transmission uses DEXRON-III fluid or an equivalent branded fluid which states "meets GM or DEXRON-III specifications". You must check the transmission fluid level with the engine running, in P, warm: The transmission is a dry sump unit and there will be NO fluid visible or on the dipstick with the engine not running.

Again, Welcome Aboard and we look forward to your correspondence. Good luck with your new car !!!! Many of the replies you will receive come from time zones GMT -4, -5, and -6.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not much I can add to Subs comprehensive advice except that you may not find Dexron III. GM has updated that to DexronVI, but it is backwards compatible so you can feel free to use it if you can find it.

D_M

Thank you Submariner and Ranger very much!!! I am not really into stereophonic amplifiers but i know what does "svetlana" mean - it is a russian female name

As i have a special winter car and i dont drive cadillac in that time - so i can use both semi-synthetic options. But if i use 5W-30 - i`d better not drive fast for a long time in hot weather. Ok.

About "Power Steering Fluid" is clear too though it will be hard to find. But what happens if i use Dexron 3?

About transmission fluid is easy too - to find Dexron 3 is the same as to find McDonalds - everywhere in moscow

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

If you cannot find the proper fluids for your Cadillac in Russia you may be able to buy them on the internet and have them shipped to you.

We have a member from Germany here who needed a new speaker for his Seville, he bought it, shipped it to me, and I shipped it to Germany for him for the cost of the postage.

German33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Eldorado ETC 96 " LPG Edition"

Привет Земляк!
    Добро пожаловать в Форум.
    Ты можеш найти тут очень много полезной информатии.
    Я тут сам всегда, тут много полезных советов и помогут всегда.
    Я сам прожеваю в Германии меня зовут Евгений.
    Катаюсь последних пару лет на 96 Эльдорадо на Газу (кликни на зелёные квадратики под моим именем, зацени мою каляску :-) )
    Я короче в Английском не очень то и селён, поэтому мне можешь по русски писать.
    Может смогу тебе как нибудь помоч.

желаю удачи

The '99 has flat tappet lifters as opposed the the roller followers in the 2000+ engines. Do not use 5W30 in the '99. Stick with 10W30.

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

Quote Originally Posted by German33 View Post
    Привет Земляк!
    Добро пожаловать в Форум.
    Ты можеш найти тут очень много полезной информатии.
    Я тут сам всегда, тут много полезных советов и помогут всегда.
    Я сам прожеваю в Германии меня зовут Евгений.
    Катаюсь последних пару лет на 96 Эльдорадо на Газу (кликни на зелёные квадратики под моим именем, зацени мою каляску :-) )
    Я короче в Английском не очень то и селён, поэтому мне можешь по русски писать.
    Может смогу тебе как нибудь помоч.

желаю удачи
    I'm not sure what you said, but I noticed you have an LPG caddy....LPG as in liquid propane?

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Huh, how far we went from 20 years ago! I must admit is still strange to see a Cadillac with Russian nameplates. So far the only country in the world you frequently see American cars (from the ‘50s) next to some Lada/Moskvitch and such is Cuba. I mean I have seen lost of German/European cars heck there is even a Lotus Omega/Carlton club in Russia but still is the first picture I see with a Cadillac on a normal street in Russia and looks normal (years ago these pictures will be part of those strange curiosity e-mails you use to receive from friends). In Canada I have seen few years ago some Lada Niva, I always amused myself with the idea the owner of that car driving south in states, such a strange image.
    But yeah keep them coming, welcome! I know there is also a CF member from Ukraine, the world is changing definitely, is a good thing!
    Just realized Svetlana use to be my VLSI teacher in University.

I have a picture of a '56 Plymouth on a highway in Viet Nam. I think it is next to an APC (Armored Personnel Carrier). A strange sight indeed.

D_M

Quote Originally Posted by German33 View Post
    Привет Земляк!........
    Здарова!!!! Просто офигел как увидел русскую речь - сначала подумал что глаза уже сами английский шрифт переводят, без мозга)))))
    Карета у тебя просто супер - в москве вообще такой садди-купэ ни одной не видел... а на газе так это вообще нереальный аппарат!!!!
    Мне вообще эту машину подарили за хорошие заслуги и я ее сразу решил продавать, типа бензина много жрет и седаны особо не вставляют, больше купэ ....а потом решил на ней покататься, прочувствовать - и понравилось, да так что и продавать уже неохота А так как у меня свой сервис небольшой - решил естественно все поменять - позвонил офицалам - они все говорят лей синтетику в двигло, а в коробку и гидрик - декстрон 3 .... Вот я и решил проверить все это дело у прародителей-америкосов на форуме. Оказалось, что не зря...

D_M

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    .....I see with a Cadillac on a normal street in Russia and looks normal
    I may proudly say that "normal street" in russia looks much better than this because what u see is an inside territory on a metal factory

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Hah! I was thinking that must be inside some factory (years ago I have been in some similar places - looks familiar). The black and white curb paint scheme looks more like a management team decision rather than the City. Is in fact is the typical look of the mid to late ‘70s industrial Soviet buildings.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Cadillac, an icon of USA, in Russia... hey man, world is changing. Any way, welcome to the forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.