Front end noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Front end noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I'm still not sure what it is since I haven't had it checked out but when I got to ...
    jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

Front end noise

Well I'm still not sure what it is since I haven't had it checked out but when I got to work I pushed on my car from the side and no noise. I went to the front bumper and stepped on it and heard the noise. It also happens when driving.

Like I said in my other post a long time ago, its a creaking noise but I guess a better way to describe it is that it sounds like something that should be turning as I'm moving is "popping". My guess is my strut?

I just did a little video from my phone and got a sound recording. This noise is actually coming from the passenger side...this whole time I thought it was my driver's side.

Now in keep in mind a mechanic from a shop I went to said it was my LCA bushings on both sides...I can only hear this noise on the passenger side so I'm 99% sure he was bs'n me

Here is audio of the noise:
    http://www.box.net/shared/6iothguehu

Youtube video w/ audio of where it's coming from:
    [youtube]FBY8xOKe-NI[/youtube]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Front end noise

nobody?

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

is that when you are bouncing the car up and down? If the shop said it was the LCA bushings, I would try to get some lube spray into those bushings and see if it goes away, temporarily.

i have a squeak that I think is on my rear passenger side, but i can't duplicate it from outside the car standing still. i only where it when driving.

InstantClassicSLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

I have the same exact noise! I just started hearing it today. I replaced the shocks 2,000 miles ago and suddenly, got this noise. I hear it when i bounce the car in the front end middle left or right. Car drives great though. So would we agree its the bushings? Or maybe just some lube might fix it?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I usually find noise like this to be the strut rod bushings. Your mechanic called them control arm bushings. Both names describe it. The bushings are the forward most bushings on the control arm that pass through the frame, squeezed on both sides by large washers.they should not be cracked, flattened, or deteriorated. Usually if you have a buddy bounce the car a little as you have and put your hand on the strut rod or control arm itself, you can "feel" the noise as it happens. Typical replacement part. Not a difficult job.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I usually find noise like this to be the strut rod bushings. Your mechanic called them control arm bushings. Both names describe it. The bushings are the forward most bushings on the control arm that pass through the frame, squeezed on both sides by large washers.they should not be cracked, flattened, or deteriorated. Usually if you have a buddy bounce the car a little as you have and put your hand on the strut rod or control arm itself, you can "feel" the noise as it happens. Typical replacement part. Not a difficult job.
    What is the estimated repair cost in parts and time?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I think a set of moog bushings will run you $25 and it should take about 1 hr total. OF course, that is if you have the design I described. I recently learned there was another design where the bushing was pressed into the strut rod and bolted to the frame. If you feel uncomfortable, both types should be easy enough that your mechanics repair bill shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Thanks...see the thing is that he only looked at the driver side and said "oh yeah, your LCA Bushings are collapsed on both sides". I only hear this noise from the passenger side though. This is a mechanic from an actual shop. The mechanic who I usually go to since he charges me cheap is my g/f's step-dad and he works out of his garage at the house and trust him over any mechanic because I know he won't try to bs me for money, I just haven't had a chance to get to him and check it out.

Thanks for the info. Is this dangerous? I have been driving with it since I bought the car.

I wasn't getting any hits on this thread so I had made another one in the Suspension section and good two different answers:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-creaking.html

Whats weird is, the car has been sitting for the last day or so, and, the noise is gone when I push on the front end. So maybe it has to do with heat?

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Maybe it does - my 2000 STS has a similar noise, but only after sitting for about an hour after driving. If it sits until it's completely cool, it doesn't squeak.

quebec#1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts Cadillac 2000 sts balck on black

Quote Originally Posted by ejguillot View Post
    Maybe it does - my 2000 STS has a similar noise, but only after sitting for about an hour after driving. If it sits until it's completely cool, it doesn't squeak.
    Same here !

Cpt. Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Have you solved this noise? I have something similar and I am a little concerned. I have a few issues I am working through right now, I feel like the car wanders a little bit on the road and that it's not reallly holding great, I don't know if this is suspension or steering and whether it's even related to the "noise" or not. I was thinking bushings or tie rods or something but I haven't had a chance to have it looked at.

I am having a long start problem these days too, and will being going through some of the recommneded troubleshooting actions that I have found on this site today. Seems like I am troubleshooting this car a lot more these days...

Yeah mine wanders a bit and shakes when above 55mph and when I take my foot off the accelerator around 60mph the steering wheel will shake. I do need an alignment though. I was hoping to look into the cause of this and fix some other issues but my alt just went out and the fact that is water cooled is going to be a PITA.

Cpt. Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Without deliberate attempt at hijacking your thread, I should mention the following in regards to my noise, while it seems similar to yours and my other issues. Though my alignment doesn't seem bad (except a little wandering), I do get a slight hum right around 50mph, it's pretty faint (my carpool buddy didn't even seem to know what I was talking about until I pointed it out several times). I have a 75 mile one way commute so most of my driving is at highway speeds and so I worry about something breaking at 75mph, the "noise" I am hearing going over speed bumps etc bothers me for this reason.

Additionally, my fuel economy is down (around 21MPG) on the highway, which isn't very good, used to be 25-26MPG not too long ago. I had an ignition coil go out on me and when I noticed the long start problem, I checked the secondary resistance on the others and they were below the tollerance (but just a little), so I replaced the rest as well. I have recently done the plugs and wires (last month or so), but none of this is helping the slow start (seems to be getting worse as of this morning). I bought a fuel filter today and will install soon (I've had the car 70k miles and never replaced the filter), I guess for the long start I will try the wait 3 seconds before starting method to see if that helps and well as replace the fuel filter. If it persists, I will probably need to go to autozone to borrow their fuel pressure guage and test the fuel pressure at the Fuel pressure regulator.

I'm not sure about what would be causing the bad MPG, I guess alignment or fuel problems could do that, vacuum leak perhaps, EGR valve (I think that's what it's called).

Fuel pump would suck, did I see that right that on a '97 Eldorado I would have to drop the tank?

Need to do brakes, oil change, fuel filter ASAP (perhaps tonight if time permits). I like the car alot (oh, driver side window doesn't work now either) but with 164K miles on it, I am wondering if I should keep her going or start thinking about replacing. I feel like she's got a lot of life in her, but as soon as I fix something, 2 more things seem to break these days.

It rained pretty good in Nor Cal today...I noticed my front end was not making any noise while driving...when I got home I tested it by pushing down on the passenger side of the bumper and it made no noise

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.