WTF is up with this Eldo? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, WTF is up with this Eldo? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger Why are you concerned? The diaphragm is easy. Just put a hose on the nipple and ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: WTF is up with this Eldo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why are you concerned? The diaphragm is easy. Just put a hose on the nipple and suck.
    Duh, I remember that now, thanks.

Valve's dead. There goes another $85...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

If it is a positive or negative backpressure EGR valve the engine likely has to be running in order to do that test.
    It could certainly be faulty though.

Stuck a length of vacuum line on it and both sucked and blew on it, no response from the valve other than a light hiss; didn't hold air.

Anyone have the vacuum diagram colors for the HVAC? I need to know what colored line operates the diaphragm for hot/cold door. I replaced all the vacuum lines and the door still doesn't work and blows 200 deg air into the cabin. My guess is the diaphragm in the door actuator is bad

EGRs are a bit more complicated than that.
    Of course now they are all electrical but...

Positive or negative backpressure valves require some general engine operating conditions in order to function.
    Such as exhaust system pressure. They have small valves inside that make them not work if there is no pressure in the exhaust (speaking in general).
    I'm not saying it is good or bad, I am just saying there can be conditions to testing the valve that you might not be aware of.
    They do go bad and it certainly could be. Be sure to write down the part number off the old one and note if it says P or N on it so you get the right one when you go to buy a replacement.
    Also remember on the 4.5/4.9 the EGR passages are prone to carbon plugging which will make the valve ineffective even if it is "working".

The temperature door is not run off of engine vacuum. The mode doors are.
    If you have auto climate control the temperature door is run by an electric actuator in the HVAC programmer. It is usually located behind the glove box.
    The clip may have broken and the arm might be off or the programmer could be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    EGRs are a bit more complicated than that.
    Of course now they are all electrical but...
    Got up to speed with this article: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec97/egr.htm Will try to investigate on cleaning the system more thoroughly.

The temperature door is not run off of engine vacuum. The mode doors are.
    If you have auto climate control the temperature door is run by an electric actuator in the HVAC programmer. It is usually located behind the glove box.
    The clip may have broken and the arm might be off or the programmer could be bad.
    Is the clip an easy access, or am I looking to tear the entire dash apart to get to it. If it is a bad programmer (which it might be because the problem is intermittent), I will probably just remove the arm and wedge to door shut. My cooling system has now sprung a leak in the hard line from the base of the block to the firewall, causing the coolant to leak all out and overheat the engine...

I really HATE this car...

It has been a while since I worked on one of those but if I remember right once the glove box is out access isn't too bad.
    The programmer is easy to replace, it is kind of plug and play.
    The only issue is the nut they use on the vacuum lines, it is hard to get out of there.
    (if I remember this setup right)
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. They do get old and break after a while.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. They do get old and break after a while.
    What gets old, the car parts or the problems?

Yes to both...

Found a leak in the little tube leading to the heater core....

Other issue now... the car has been over heating again and I think I narrowed it down to a combination of sticking thermostat, plugged radiator, and leaking tubey thingy...
    anyway, while revving the motor for the flush (in neutral), the motor created a loud CLICK when coming down to idle numerous times; it looked like the distributor made the noise.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.