Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1999 STS driver-side mirror loose

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  eldorado_97 
#1 ·
I may have posted this request in the wrong forum here, so I thought I'd post it here. Please understand this is my first time posting and I'm not quite sure of the terrain. My question is as follows:

Hi all! This is my first post here. I belong to a number of other car forums, but never felt the need to join just one more - until now. I got off work today and found my driver-side mirror loose, as if someone tried to pry it off. Can anyone explain how to reattach it? I'm assuming that I'll have to remove the inner door panel(s)/trim to get to the back side of it, but I'm clueless as to how without tearing something up. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on a repair manual and figure it out myself, but I'd really appreciate it if someone who has had experience removing and reinstalling these mirrors could help me out as it may be awhile before the manual comes. The mirror isn't falling off, but it is loose enough to notice.

#2 ·
You are correct in that you'll have to remove the panel. My daughter had a '99, but I can't remember if I ever had to remove that panel or not so I don't know the idiosyncrasies of it. Each one has a little different quirk.

Be sure to get a FSM by Helm Inc., not Chiltons or Haynes.

#3 ·
Man, lots of these loose mirrors lately! I was able to tighten mine back up by only removing the little 'tweeter' speaker that is on the door moulding adjacent to the mirror. From that hole, you can get a box end wrench in there and tighten the bolts, there are two. the lower one was very hard but the upper one was easy. I did mine about 4 years ago now and it's been holding fast ever since. The nuts were in the 10mm - 12mm range, I believe. And the little tweeter popped of with a plastic picnic knife so I would not scratch anything.

G
#12 ·
Appreciate the tip. You were on the money..
Have a 99 SLS. Took off the tweeter speakers with a plastic knife.
Was able to finger tighten both bolts, which in fact were pretty loose.
Used blunt edge long neck pliers to give them a little twist and it worked fine.
All's well that ends well.
Thanks again,
Alan

#4 ·
The mirror is retained by four nuts and you will need to remove the door panel to access.

The door panels are simple to remove. Pry out the little piece of plastic behind the inside release lever and remove the screw (#3 phillips).

Lift the leather flap that extends into the inside hand pull and remove two screws (#3 phillips).

Remove the one visible screw near the lower left corner of the panel.

Using a trim removal tool (inexpensive and widely available) loosen the panel be inserting the tool between the panel and door, find a place of resistance and prying outward. Countinue around the panel until all of the "christmas tree" fasteners are released.

Once all fasteners are removed/released lift the door panel up to release along the bottom of the window.

You'll see a cable running to the inside door handle. There's a little locking mechanism for the cable end that releases by pivoting a plastic tab out of the way. Then disconnect a couple electrical connectors and the panel is free.

#8 ·
The odd thing about it, though, is that I hadn't noticed it on the way to work, only afterwards. It seems to be held onto the pillar by something in the center, not any bolts (I can pull it away about a quarter-inch - both top and bottom). I ordered a manual on dvd from jonlisa97; so hopefully, I can get to it here in a day or two.

#9 ·
Well, update......I received the dvd manual, and it works great. The only problem I'm having is trying to remove the inside handle trim cover, of which the manual is somewhat vague on how to remove it. It appears that it must be pried out, as if it snaps into place - not sure. I'm using a flat, metal trim remover that has plenty of leverage, but I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on it for fear of breaking it. It bends slightly near the center, but doesn't budge near the outer ends. Am I correct in assuming it must be pried out, or is there some other way?

#11 ·
^^^Sorry, there are no speakers in the door other than the larger ones at the bottom. Anyway, I finally got the door panel off and was able to tighten the three nuts that hold the mirror in place (all three were so loose, they had no more thread to hold onto). All's good now! Thanks all for trying to help, that's what makes these forums a great place for people to help each other!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.