Is battery Bad??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Is battery Bad?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    29Roadster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Eldorado STC

Is battery Bad??

About 6 months ago when I tried to start the car, all I got was a clicking sound, but I was able to jump start it and get on my why. When I got home I pulled the battery cables and found a small amount of corrosion so I cleaned the cables and it worked fine until yesterday. I had driven the car around town all day, but later in the evening when I tried to start the engine all I got was clicking again.

Could the battery be worn and require replacement, I believe itís about 2 years old (AC Delco) or could the problem be somewhere else? Hopefully not he starter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Re: Is battery Bad??

Nope its your battery. Take it to autozone and have them test it to confirm.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

You may want to let us know what kind of car you have and how old it is. We can not read minds.

With that being said, your charging system may be on its way out depending on how old your alternator is. Check the easy things first, including all connections to and from the alt, the fuse block and the battery.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Assuming that this is a Cadillac, there is a battery voltage reading in the DIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    You may want to let us know what kind of car you have and how old it is. We can not read minds.

With that being said, your charging system may be on its way out depending on how old your alternator is. Check the easy things first, including all connections to and from the alt, the fuse block and the battery.

Whoops.
    It's a 1994 Eldorado STC w/68,000 miles.

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

Toggle the info button to get volts displayed. Then turn the key to "on" but do not start. Get that reading. Next, start the car and get reading after it's running (turn off A/C to be fair to the test). If the first reading is under 12 volts, the battery could be dying. If the second reading is under 13 volts, it could be an alternator. When you cleaned the battery terminals, some model's positive lugs are in 2 segments - did you clean between them?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm not sure how well that thing works, but if you can, get a reading while cranking as well. If not, watch the headlights while cranking. If the voltage drops real low or the headlights go real dim, the battery is shot.

Problem solved with a $2 part.

Once I disconnected the battery cables I discovered the bolt (don't know the official name) that holds down the negative cable had stripped threads.

That's the least expensive repair I've ever made on this car.

Thanks All,

Rick

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.