1999 Eldorado for sale good deal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1999 Eldorado for sale good deal? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I have a neighbor with a dark green 1999 Eldorado with 90k miles. It needs about 1500-2000 dollars worth ...
    da324 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 Eldorado for sale good deal?

Hi,
    I have a neighbor with a dark green 1999 Eldorado with 90k miles. It needs about 1500-2000 dollars worth of work. He wants 1500 for it. I've known him forever and our mechanic that we both used gave us the 1500-2000 repair quote. The body is in excellent shape. The interior has some wear on the drivers side, but the rest is in really good condition. It could use two front tires, but they are okay for a while. One more thing. Whoever put on the new back shocks didn't put the right kind on which makes the ETC light stay on. They work fine, but they are not hooked to the ETC. Is this a good deal? I really like the car and I've ridden in it many times. I just thought I would come here to get some opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Re: 1999 Eldorado for sale good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by da324 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a neighbor with a dark green 1999 Eldorado with 90k miles. It needs about 1500-2000 dollars worth of work. He wants 1500 for it. I've known him forever and our mechanic that we both used gave us the 1500-2000 repair quote. The body is in excellent shape. The interior has some wear on the drivers side, but the rest is in really good condition. It could use two front tires, but they are okay for a while. One more thing. Whoever put on the new back shocks didn't put the right kind on which makes the ETC light stay on. They work fine, but they are not hooked to the ETC. Is this a good deal? I really like the car and I've ridden in it many times. I just thought I would come here to get some opinions/suggestions. Thanks!
    "Work" is not a very descriptive explanation of what it needs. You need to find out what the car needs specifically unless the "mechanic" will guarantee the quote of "1500-2000". I assure you if the car needs the heads done it's likely to be a whole helluva lot more than that.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

An 11 year old car with 90,000. Still a lot of OEM and junkyard parts around. With 2,000 - 3,000 in needed repairs/maintenance you're at the top end of a creampuff pricing. How good are you with a wrench and GM Factory Service Manual ???

Go through a lot of threads here and in Northstar performance to find out how to find out what's IN the car, what GM service has been done, and what sort of maintenance problems you can expect. Forewarned is forearmed: Read extensively on head gasket problems in Northstars.

If you can clean the thing up and get it back to top mechanical condition there's no more sporty, elegant car around than a Polo Green Eldorado.

Hi,
    The work that's needed is AC related and the price he gave me was 2000 at the top end, but he thought 1500 would probably fix it. He will give me an exact quote before the work. There are no issues with the head gaskets. I'm good with a wrench, but I know nothing about AC problems and don't want to figure it out at this point. The seller is old and the 90k miles for a 1999 is accurate. I've had the same mechanic for years and he's always been way cheaper than any dealer and always guarantees his work. He also lives right around the corner from me. I'm figuring that I can have the ride back in perfect order for right at 4k total out of pocket. That seems to be a pretty good deal to me. I had a buddy buy a 96 STS a few years back for 6k in excellent condition, so, deals are out there. This one just fell in my lap and I wanted reassurances that it was a good deal. As I said before, other than the repairs it needs, everything else looks great. I can tell it has been well taken care of. Thanks!

Hi,
    There are no issues with the head gaskets.
    Yet...

Coolant changes WITH Dex should have been done in 2003 and 2007 and will be due again in 2011. If it was changed over to green coolant that falls to every 2 years.

If this hasn't been done I'd run far far away unless the price drops to 500.00 given the needed A/C work -or- there's record of the heads having been done already (a goldmine of a car if so). Average Joe maintenance isn't enough on these, they need meticulous maintenance for a long service life.

It's been done as have all the regular service intervals.. Also, my mechanic is far from the average Joe; I discovered him because a dealership service department couldn't find my problem. He not only found it, but fixed it for half what the dealership wanted. Thanks!

It's been done as have all the regular service intervals.. Also, my mechanic is far from the average Joe; I discovered him because a dealership service department couldn't find my problem. He not only found it, but fixed it for half what the dealership wanted. Thanks!
    I actually did not mean the mechanic, I meant the previous owner's maintenance.

The local dealership maintained it up until a few years ago. After that it has been maintained by the mechanic I spoke of. Thanks!

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Crapshoot. If you can fix the AC problem and the HGs don't fail you're golden. If the HGs go you'd better plan on another $3500 - $4000 investment. At that point you're upside down and it comes down to how much you like the car.

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

My bets on a post from the OP in a few months complaining about overheating and a "sweet" smell are on the table!
    $1500-2000 to fix an AC system? You better be getting brand new EVERYTHING involving it for that price.
    And I'd run, not walk, to a brand new mechanic as yours is trying to put one over on you. I don't think even the stealerships charge that much to completely overhaul an AC system.
    Woooooo.
    Good luck, dude.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Honestly it sounds like a pretty good deal to me considering the a/c system is not a necessity. The dash light from the shocks can be fixed by simply adding resistors to the electronic hookups that used to plug into the OEM shocks (very cheap fix). If you've know the guy selling and trust his word then its a heck of a buy. I would check it out and if all checks out go for it! Also what exactly needs to be replaced with the a/c? Is it the compressor? $1500 for a/c work seems a lil high. A polo green Eldo sounds very sexy!

Strange, 1500.00 sounds in line with what I've heard for a full A/C system overhaul on these cars before. I assume the mechanic is taking a stab in the dark at this point and assuming that the compressor failed and spewed debris through the entire system. I know a few here have mentioned 1400 in the past for sure on complete system overhauls. Like Necrosan said though, you better be getting BRAND NEW EVERYTHING for that price, and anymore than 1500 and I walk. Period.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.