Coolant level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Coolant level in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My '98 Eldo finally goes to the mechanic this morning. He got a tester from NAPA and will check the ...
    Mitch3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Eldorado

Coolant level

My '98 Eldo finally goes to the mechanic this morning. He got a tester from NAPA and will check the coolant. Also running a leak test and few other things. I'm hoping for the best but trying not to think of the worst (HG). Here's something strange... I checked the coolant first thing in the a.m. before starting the engine and the level was right up there. After running the car around town, I let it cool down a bit and checked the level again. It was down to the bottom of the surge tank. There was still some pressure in the tank when I removed the cap. Is it normal for the tank to be full when it is totally cold ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Coolant level

The coolant level, cold, is halfway up the tank. Warm or hot, (be careful) there should be considerable pressure in the tank/system - depending in which cap you have, 16 or 18 pounds. The pressure builds from the coolant expansion as the engine heats and is one of the factors which raise the boiling point of 50/50 coolant to 265 degrees. The airspace in the tank is necessary to prevent expanding coolant from blowing out of the cap relief.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch3 View Post
    My '98 Eldo finally goes to the mechanic this morning. He got a tester from NAPA and will check the coolant. Also running a leak test and few other things. I'm hoping for the best but trying not to think of the worst (HG). Here's something strange... I checked the coolant first thing in the a.m. before starting the engine and the level was right up there. After running the car around town, I let it cool down a bit and checked the level again. It was down to the bottom of the surge tank. There was still some pressure in the tank when I removed the cap. Is it normal for the tank to be full when it is totally cold ???
    Mitch, can you define "Right up there" and "Full"?

So what you are saying is when it's warm (or hot) the level should be higher than when it's totally cold. Mine is much lower hot than it is totally cold. Can't wait for all of the test results to come back!

Yes, coolant, like anything else, expands when heated, thus the level rises a 1/2" or so. Goping down when hot is not a good sign. I assume it does not come back up?

Ranger...by Right up there and full, I mean it is up to the metal crossbar inside the tank.

Not familiar with that, but I suspect that is the half point and if so, that is right where it should be.

Ranger. You asked if the level comes back up. As long as the engine is warm the level is down. When the engine gets COLD again the level goes back to normal range. I've checked it several mornings before starting the engine and it is always up where it should be.

Holy shit Batman, that is the exact opposite of what SHOULD happen. I can't even begine to guess at how to explain that one.

Yup!! That's what I thought. I'll let you know how the tests come out. The only time it overheats is when I'm on the way to Saratoga to gamble. Maybe it doesn't want me to lose money. LOL

Only way the level would go down, hot, is if there's a pint-sized bubble in a hose wall - as in: balloon. BUT, as soon as you cracked the tank cap to relieve the system pressure (dangerous operation!!!) the pressure would allow the "balloon" to collapse. Hmmmmmm..........

Has anyone replaced the heater core and/or any coolant hoses in the past ?? Where I'm gong is that there may be a considerable air bubble in the system somewhere, and as the coolant heats that bubble compresses, thereby lowering the coolant level and simultaneously preventing water flow past the bubble. Stranger things have happened...............

I had a new radiator installed almost three years ago. Only other thing I've done with the cooling system is a coolant change. Let's see what the tests show then if it's a really bad situation I'll just buy a Kia Spectra or something.

Albany............IF it needs a top overhaul, get it up to Jake.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch3 View Post
    Let's see what the tests show then if it's a really bad situation I'll just buy a Kia Spectra or something.
    No Kia talk in this forum

Well the HG test proved negative so that's a good thing. Leak test found a small leak in the radiator which got worse as the coolant heated up. Leak is where the plastic meets the metal on the radiator. My man wants $600 as I guess it needs a new radiator. I told him I wanted everything checked before I spend another $600 on the Beast. My other option is to let it leak and carry a gallon of Dexcool in the trunk. Of course that means no long trips. I trust my mechanic but I still have a lot of concerns about this car even though I do love it. I've got to decide whether or not I want to keep it or get something more practical. Maybe not a KIA Spectra, probably a Ford Focus.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.