Weird transmission problem! Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Weird transmission problem! Help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, hopefully someone out there has experienced the same problem I am right now and can help me out. Vehicle ...
    90BeigeElDorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Eldorado 4.5 PFI

Exclamation Weird transmission problem! Help!

Ok, hopefully someone out there has experienced the same problem I am right now and can help me out. Vehicle is a 90 Eldo with 102K miles. I have searched through all of the past threads relating to the tranny's in our cars but nothing similar to my problem. Here's what is going on. The tranny will not shift into any gear at times. I am a service manager so I have checked all of the basics. Shift linkage is moving freely and selector is moving through all gear ranges. Transmission fluid is full and looks good. Indicator on dash works the way it should. On to the weird part. When I put the tranny in neutral and try to push the car, it stops after maybe a foot like the e-brake is on, forward or backward. I do this because after I get done rocking the car back and forth the car will usually shift into drive or reverse. Sometimes after it shifts into gear it will shift into all gears, sometimes not, forcing me to rock the car once again to shift it into gear. Once into gear, transmission shifts perfectly with absolutley no issues. All gears changes are positive. No slipping, etc. So, I know the tranny should be fine internally, but something is definately not right with the shift linkage. I am thinking that maybe the linkage inside the tranny at the valve body is having issues, or maybe a cv axle is binding? No check engine light, no warning messages, etc. Remember, car will not roll forward or backward anymore than a foot when in neutral. Anyone ever have a similar problem and if so could you please share what you found/did to correct it? Thanks to all for any advice/solutions you may have. When I get the car to the shop tomorrow I am going to start by dropping the pan and looking at the shift linkage at the valve body. Hopefully it is something simple like a bad "Z" link(if that's what it is called) at the valve body that selects forward/reverse speeds or maybe a binding axle shaft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Weird transmission problem! Help!

Sounds like the locking mechanism for when it's in Park is broken or sticky or something.

I'm no expert with automatic transmissions though. The most Ive done with transmissions other than filters and shift solenoids was tearing them down to recycle aluminum.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

There is a related recall for your 90 eldo (my 90 seville too)

http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...ado/index.html

Check out the first one in the list.

Thanks for the link Sevillan. I wish that was the problem. I had the wife shift from gear to gear from inside the car while I observed the shift selector on top of the tranny and it moves freely through all selections. I also adjusted the shift linkage using the procedure outlined on alldata and that did not help. I can sit in the car, put the shifter in Drive, then rock the car with my left leg outside of the car and it will eventually "grab" and I'll have all forward gears. I did notice however that when I do the same and shift into reverse, it will grab, roll back about a foot, then disengage and stop like the parking brake was applied. If I repeat this procedure a few times reverse will finally grab and hold. Like I said, weird problem.

Sounds pretty dangerous. What if it engages fully while you're still outside the car? I hope you are a ninja!

LOL. When I do this, I am sitting IN the car, using my left leg to rock the car back and forth while my right foot is resting on the brake pedal. As soon as it grabs, I apply the brake. I am sure that some people may be dumb enough to try that while outside of the car, just not me.

haha gotcha... thats not what I pictured! X_x

To the top.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't know much about transmissions, but this does not sounds like a trans problem to me. If it where the parking pawl like Krashed suggested, I would expect the stop to be abrupt, not like applying the E-brake. The trans being fluid drive and the fluid being under no pressure would seem to me should be like being in neutral. I would be looking somewhere else on the drive train. Brakes maybe, since that is what it feels like.

Thanks for the reply. It is definately not the brakes. Transmission does not engage unless I physically rock the car. I looked at it this morning before work and I am pretty sure the park rod is f****d. From what I have found so far, the trans pretty much has to come out to fix it. What a dips**t design.

Ok, not trying to rescue this thread, but I know now that the park rod is definately the problem. My questions are these. Have any of you Caddy experts out there had to do this repair(I am sure that some of you have) and if so is there an easy way to do it? Once in gear, the tranny is perfect, and if I must pull it to fix a $13 part that the engineers should of designed to be accessable then I am going to either rebuild it or replace it with a low mileage unit from a local yard I do business with. Thank you in advance for any advice/solutions.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

As far as i know, you have a LOT of digging to do in order to get at the park rod. The transmission might have to come out, unless you're a masochist. The whole access cover on the drivers side has to come off, and then you just start digging until you reach it. I think the best option would be to rebuild it or get another transmission. If you're like me (no money, a good amount of free time, and a clean place to work on stuff) it might be a good project. But otherwise I would just send it in or replace the whole unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.