Door Seal Problem - '99 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Door Seal Problem - '99 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The door seal attached to the front edge of the driver-side rear door is constantly coming loose--from the bottom of ...
    SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Door Seal Problem - '99 STS

The door seal attached to the front edge of the driver-side rear door is constantly coming loose--from the bottom of the window down. All mechanical fasterners are installed and the seal is nicely subtle and appears in perfect condition.

Is this a common problem? Perhaps similar to moving the twilight sentinel adjustment far right and popping out the dash light dimmer on occasion as you enter? Or has the seal been stretched and in need of replacement?

The seal seems extremely loose at the abrupt angle where it crosses the door body side moulding (old term but I don't know another). Is there perhaps supposed to be some sort of adhesive? Perhaps something so simple as rubber cement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Door Seal Problem - '99 STS

I slap mine back on once a week, and the rear door seals over the fenderwell curve aren't worth squat, either. Dust heaven.

One day I'm gonna trip off the line (as in: circuit breaker trip) and then clean the seal surface with alcohol and haul out the liquid rubber body sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    I slap mine back on once a week, and the rear door seals over the fenderwell curve aren't worth squat, either. Dust heaven.

One day I'm gonna trip off the line (as in: circuit breaker trip) and then clean the seal surface with alcohol and haul out the liquid rubber body sealer.
    Thank you.

Perhaps the price you pay for an exceptionally quiet car. Such seals are lacking from a similarly equipped but louder and newer Buick parked in the garage. Spent half an hour this afternoon giving all seals their twice-yearly coat of "303 Aerospace" as my fresh reduced from first-of-season Roma tomatoes lasagna sauce simmered with home grown garlic and spices...

My tires and wheels were particularly well detailed when I took it to Sears for rotation of Micheline Hydro Edge and I must admit a bit of pleasure when I signed as service manger said, "You mean the Cadillac that just came out?" The damned thing doesn't say "Cadillac" anywhere but servicemen (like me) use the word for its true meaning...

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

When I first got my Seville mine did the exact same thing. It bugged the crap out of me so I took some black paste like substance (I'm not sure what it's called; it's a GM product) and glued it back on the door. It's been stuck on for a year and it hasn't come off one bit.

I've noticed the new DTS's do the same things as well. I guess GM doesn't glue them on very well from the factory.

mikekilpatrick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville STS

Had the same issue on my 2002 sts, glue it on with a rubber adhesive, butul rubber might be a good way

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I have an old tube of "High Tac" super sealant from Permatex for that purpose. It is much like a yellow ruber cement. Not sure if the still make it though as it is old. I've had it forever.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Same issue - as well as rear side of front doors. I used flexible silicone RTV. Worked for while (2 years), then came off. So I used auto trim glue next, which is used to glue emblems on vehicles. Available at any autoparts store and probably even Wal-Mart. Seems to to the trick.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Butyl rubber liquid body sealant. DON"T get it on anything you don't want to stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post

I've been tripping off the line for some time now with employee problems and death issues where every person around me seems to be a liar, cheat or thief and that stupid seal that I too replace once a week is a problem that I just don't need to have...

Cleaned the channel nicely with denatured alcohol and brushed in a generous amount of Goop* "miracle" contact adhesive, let dry and pressed on. Did not though apply to the door edge as I do not want a permanent bond nor was I willing to remove the wax from the door edge itself. Seals were loose when I purchased and the edges received same attention that made the rest of the paint feel as nice as a car in a showroom.

Week and one wash later and I haven't had to press it back into position.

No solution for that dust collecting seal at the back of the rear doors except I try to run a damp microfiber towel through it at least once a month.

Not sure that I'd call "Goop" a true micracle product, but it has been invaluable in getting my '99 STS into near new condition. Even worked for the dash pad separating at the bottom edge just above the hazard light switch. While similar in nature to true rubber cement it seems immune to separation due to high temperature. Anything that can hold the windshield pillar trim together for more than a year certainly has merit!

What exactly is the stuff you call "Goop"? I plan on taking my dash on apart soon and this solution sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    What exactly is the stuff you call "Goop"? I plan on taking my dash on apart soon and this solution sounds great.
    Trade name "Goop". In a tube with "GOOP" written in orange vertical lettering on a blue body with other text in white. Purchased at K-Mart of all places.

www.amazinggoop.com

Smells similar to plastic model glue but with consistency like rubber cement.

For the dash pad repair I brushed on both sides, let dry and then added additional before clamping with clothes pins and lots of rubber bands.

Thanks! I'll have to get some and get that dash fixed before it gets any worse.

Well I can say that Goop has to be one of the best products out there for repairing things. It did wonders with my dash, and it looks like new again. Still waiting for the front part to dry but overall very please with how the back came out. Only a slight rise in one part, but it can't be perfect.

I also broke off one of the clips on my A-pillar and Goop solved that as well. I have a feeling that Goop is going to repair quite a few things on my Seville from now on.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.