A/C Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, A/C Help!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I Have a 97 sts witch i just bought and the ac only blows out of the floor and will ...
    ryan_day4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 STS

Unhappy A/C Help!!!

I Have a 97 sts witch i just bought and the ac only blows out of the floor and will not change. also with is bank 1 and bank 2 on the engine i need to replace an 02 sensor on bank 2 and it sensor 1.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: A/C Help!!!

Probably need to replace the mode actuator. You should have a DTC for it.

What is a DTC? and where is the mode actuator in at? and Thanks for your time

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Diagnostic Trouble Code. Your car has a system built in which logs faults in different systems and mechanical parts and then allows you to use the DIC (Driver Information Center) - the dash panel - to recover and log the trouble codes. You do not need an aftermarket scanner. The car already has it.

Go to the top of the main page and look at the top of the Seville Forum. The sticky thread "How to pull codes" will direct you how to read your own fault codes. You want to scroll down the the URL with "obd2" in the address. (OBD = OnBoard Diagnostics).

In your car I believe the HVAC mode controls are in behind the glove box and the passenger side carpeted kick panel on the console.

In the diagram the rear exhaust manifold is designated Bank 1, so the front manifold (Bank 2) has the sensor in about the same location. In some Northstars there is also an after-cat O2 sensor designated Bank 1 Sensor 2. Click on the diagram to make it larger...........

Thanks for all the help!! So the mode actuator is what is keeping the ac from switching of the floor well it comes out of the floor and defrost vents on the dash?

You'll have to look in your owner's manual for exactly what each mode really is, but the windshield logo is defrost: moist air goes to the windshield and the A/C compressor runs to dehumidify; the windshield/floor logo is some of each; the floor logo is most to the floor, some to the windshield and side windows; the vent/floor logo is just that, and; the vent logo is almost all dash vents.

That (those ?) doors in your car are down in front of the glove box and in the airbox down low in front of the console, toward the passenger side.

The heat control moves a door which sits in the main airstream and diverts some or all incoming air to the heater core box. The air mix determines temperature, not heater core coolant flow.

Recirculation allows cabin air back into the intake duct and seals off most of the incoming outside air.

In everything but defrost I believe you have the option to run the A/C compressor or not. (That may be 2000 and later)

SOOOOOOOO......there's a lot of floppin' and swappin' going on down in there.

ok so mine is stuck to the floor only no matter where i change to controls to. What could be causing this? I would love to be able to have air other than on the floor!!! Not driven the car to much anyway got it for a seal on ebay $800 bucks and it was worth it!! The guy who sold it didnt really take to good of care of it. It looks great inside and out but had to change the FPR, Break line, and got the sunroof out and the track is bad. But it runs like a top now has 107000 miles on it and it sure is strong! I'm just fixing everything back. Still super happy I bought it I love working on cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_day4 View Post
    ok so mine is stuck to the floor only no matter where i change to controls to. What could be causing this? I would love to be able to have air other than on the floor!!! Not driven the car to much anyway got it for a seal on ebay $800 bucks and it was worth it!! The guy who sold it didnt really take to good of care of it. It looks great inside and out but had to change the FPR, Break line, and got the sunroof out and the track is bad. But it runs like a top now has 107000 miles on it and it sure is strong! I'm just fixing everything back. Still super happy I bought it I love working on cars.
    Could be the control or an actuator. The actuator is the more likely of the two.

Ranger thanks for the info where is that at in the car so I can replace it

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

Any chance this could be a vacuum issue? 97s are notorious for having rotted vacuum lines to the reservoir (I also have a 97).

The mode actuators and doors are in the firewall/dash area in front of the glove box and down on the passenger side of the HVAC stack in the front console area. Pull the inside carpeted kick panel and roll the floor carpet back.

Quote Originally Posted by greg-sls View Post
    Any chance this could be a vacuum issue? 97s are notorious for having rotted vacuum lines to the reservoir (I also have a 97).
    No, I would not expect it to be a vacuum issue. A loss of vacuum would default to the defrost mode.

Ok so it was not get vac. inside the car at the black hose so.. Traced it out under the hood it Ts and on goes to a thing i dont know what is and and thing is connected to the Canister Purge Solenoid and the Canister Purge Solenoid is connected to the intake so i started at the intake the line going to the Canister Purge Solenoid is getting vac. but the big line going over to the thing that i dont know what its called is not getting vac. and the line that goes to my ac controlles hooks to that so does that mean the Canister Purge Solenoid is bad?

The thing that you cannot identify is probably the vacuum reservoir. It holds vacuum to operate the system when you go WOT and vacuum drops to zero. Concentrate on it.

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

Ryan, I kind of suspected this as 97s have a problem with a small segment of vacuum line to the reservoir. Get under the passenger's side in front of the wheel well just under the battery area. You will see a black plastic bullet shaped canister with a vacuum hose coming out. It's about a foot long and goes into a plastic straw-like nipple on the other side. This line gets rotted from battery acid drippings and road debris. Remove and replace the line and mode system might return to normal. Even if this is not the entire problem, that segment of line should be replaced every 3 to 4 years. Any automotive store can sell you a new piece. I usually put a bit of plumber's grease on each nipple so the new line slides on easily.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.