92 Seville STS having distributor problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 Seville STS having distributor problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1992 Seville STS with a 4.9L V8 (non-northstar), that was having distributor problems. I took off the ...
    Big Dog Dan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville STS

92 Seville STS having distributor problems

I have a 1992 Seville STS with a 4.9L V8 (non-northstar), that was having distributor problems. I took off the cap of the old cap and the wires were disintegrating, so I changed the distributor. When I put in the new distributor, the car turned right over, caught, and started. I turned off the engine and restarted it, and it started right up. I did this several more times and it turned right on.

I took it for a ride around the block and she was running fine. I took it home and let it sit for an hour. I then hopped back into the car and it started right up. I drove about 2 miles from my house toward my doctor's appointment and the car just died. I pulled to the side of the road and tried to restart it. The car would turn over, but wouldn't catch so it never restarted. Luckily I was on a hill, so I threw it in neutral and backed it into a parking lot. I got a ride home and came back to try it again several hours later, but again it would turn over and not catch. I checked the codes, but there aren't any current ones.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should look next because i'm stumped?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 92 Seville STS having distributor problems

You changed the distributor because the cap and wires where disintegrating?

The battery on my car was dead, so when we jumped the car we checked the wires on top of the cap and we weren't getting any spark out of the distributor. We also got the E032 code which meant that the distributor wasn't getting any pulses. When we took the cap off, we noticed that the connecting wires within the distributor underneath the cap were very brittle and broke to the touch. The wires running to those connectors were fine, but the wires inside the cap were frail.

So we changed the distributor, and it started right up. I drove it around the block and back home. I turned it on and off a few times to ensure that it would start. Then after I drove a mile into my trip, I started to go up a hill and the car just shut off. She will turn over, but she won't catch.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd just go back and double check everything you did. Not too likely that a new distributor would go bad.

I have double and triple checked everything, that's why it boggles the mind. Knowing my luck, it's probably some loose wire somewhere that is causing this whole business. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before.

cctgene is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

Was your replacement distributor new, rebuilt or from a savage yard and did it come with the ignition module or did you reuse the old one?

I got the distributor from the salvage yard. I have 3 different coils(the one the was on the previous distributor, the one on the salvaged one, and one I had from a previous car). I have only tried one of them, so I'm going to try the other 2.

cctgene is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

If you get not results by changing the coil, remove the ignition module and take it to one of the auto stores and have it tested.

Ok, I'll do that today. Thank you.

When I took the coil that was in the car out of the car, I noticed that there was a slight crack on the top of the unit and there was colored stuff around it. Must mean the spark didn't get to where it needed to go. When I threw in the coil that was on my old distributor, it started right up first turn. Hopefully everything is now taken care of. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.