2000 SLS Brakes Sticking. Any ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2000 SLS Brakes Sticking. Any ideas? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last week I was driving to work and I smelled brakes. Pulled in and noticed the LF brakes smoking! I ...
    Brandon Meats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS, 2003 Deville Base

2000 SLS Brakes Sticking. Any ideas?

Last week I was driving to work and I smelled brakes. Pulled in and noticed the LF brakes smoking! I know sometimes the hoses will pinch and not allow the brakes to release, so I changed the hose. Car drove fine for a few days, then it started doing it again. I saw the boot around the piston was torn, so I though maybe the caliper was hanging up. I proceeded to install both new front brake calipers and hoses (the rear brakes are just peachy). There was extensive damage done to the LF pads and rotors (which I just replaced about 3 months ago) so I resurfaced the rotors on a brake lathe and bought new pads, again. While I was in there I replaced the CV axle due to a torn boot and replaced the LF wheel bearing because I could hear a hum from it on the highway. The ABS light was on so I thought maybe the sensor in it was bad. Just finished up the job this morning and took the car out for a quick spin. It still seems like the brakes are sticking slightly because my MPG INST is showing about a 35%-50% reduction in mileage! I shift the car into neutral and it coasts, but the speed drops steadily. While in gear, the engine seems like it's working harder to keep momentum. I only drove about 2 miles and parked the car. I'm not gonna risk compromising all the work I just did.

The ABS light has been on since about the first of the year. I assumed it was the humming wheel bearing. I took it to the local dealer (O'Malley Cadillac) and paid $100 for them to tell me the ABS module was bad and a new one was $1000 + labor. The brakes were working fine so I opted out. They told me that the ABS module "lost communication" with the car and they couldn't even read the ABS codes. I recently purchased an ABS module from another forum member who is parting out a 2000 STS (I have a 2000 SLS so I'm assuming it should be the same module) I haven't put it in yet just due to the fact it looks like it's gonna be a chore (I do intend on replacing it though). Could the module be acting up and not allowing the brakes to release? Could there be a problem with the master cyclinder? Am I looking at it from the wrong angle?

Just curious if any of you other Caddy enthusiasts out there have come across or had a similar problem that you or had repaired. Any help, advice, or insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: 2000 SLS Brakes Sticking. Any ideas?

Yeah - I think you;re on the right track - I think only the module and the master cylinder are left to replace

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Somewhere in the mix with the EBCM and ABS system is a proportioning valve - a widget that sends different hydraulic pressures to the front and rear brakes to prevent rear brake "overbraking". Don't leave that out of your troubleshooting.

Brandon Meats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS, 2003 Deville Base

I forgot to mention that ONLY the left front brake is acting up. I just replaced everything in the front brakes on both sides due to the fact I'm overly anal, and that my theory is that when one goes, the other isn't too far behind. A buddy of mine told me to try and get it to act up, then crack the line fitting on the module for the LF brake. He said if it releases the wheel, then the module is probably bad. I'd to it at the master cyclinder, but usually that's a front /rear split, so in theory both front brakes would be acting up. Two lines from the master to the ABS, then one line out to each wheel. I've got the module 'cause I was told it was bad. I might as well just change it. Anything weird I need to know about changing that? I'm sure that's gonna be a bi*ch to bleed. When the guy pulled it out of the car he just cut the lines and the wire harness. That way the lines are pinched and no dirt can get in. I sprayed some PB on them and they all cracked loose. Hopefully this module is good and then I can take it to the shop I used to work at and see if the computer will then communicate with it once it's in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.