Surge Tank?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Surge Tank? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, I found coolant on the garage floor, and can't see it leaking from the water pump area. Looks like ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Surge Tank?

Well, I found coolant on the garage floor, and can't see it leaking from the water pump area. Looks like the area just below the surge tank is wet, and the leak to the floor is in that same area. Can a cracked surge tank be repaired with epoxy or JB Weld, or will I have to replace the tank?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Surge Tank?

Neither fix actually "sticks" to the polypropylene tank - it just applies a BandAid.

Your best bet is to gut out the expense - try Luke at Lindsay Parts, over there >>>>>> or RockAuto.

Do some snooping and figure if it may be the connector hose from the tank lower area to the cooling system.

Thanks, Sub. I'm on my way to the garage now to drain the tank and see what's going on. Rock Auto wants $65 for one but don't have them in stock. Local dealer has one on the shelf...$135! I'll check with Luke tomorrow...they are closed.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Try www.gmotors.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com. Both Cadillac dealers who sell online.

.............during business hours............but PartsDirect (Flow Cadillac in NC) has a catalog link with prices.

Well, I can't seem to find a leak at all. There is a small bit of coolant under the car again, and some wetness below the tank. But I have felt all around it and can't find any wetness on the tank (I didn't drain it). Will one of the coolant system pressure testers they loan out at Autozone work on the Northstar system? I guess I need to get it under pressure to find the leak.

pimpdaddycaddy91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It's probably leaking out the overflow tube that comes out of the top of the surge tank by the cap and just runs down to the bottom of the car. If it is it could be a number of things including your headgasket. A bad headgasket/stripped bolts will leak exhaust into the coolant causing excessive pressure and popping the spring loaded 15psi cap and leaking out your overflow tube. But start with small things first and a prayer. Replace the surge tank cap and the thermostat, they are cheap and could be causing this. Also check the other small tube on the front of the surge tank and make sure it is not clogged. You can do this by removing it from the surge tank and starting the engine, if coolant flows through its good, if no coolant flows through it may be clogged and thats your culprit.

There isn't any overflow tube at the top of the surge tank. Must be a change they made in 2000. It is a leak, because when I park it in the garage and lift the hood, I can see the coolant level and it isn't anywhere near the top of the tank. Then I find coolant on the floor. Also, the cap on my 2000 is rated at 18psi, not 15psi.

Oh well...just got home from Autozone. As I suspected, their kit doesn't include the adapter to attach to the surge tank.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Charles, one day on my way to work I got the dreaded check coolant level on my '97. Only a 1/2 mile from home so I turned around and topped it off. Found no leak. Next day I have it idling as I'm checking it out. Finally as the pressure builds I see some seepage at the base of the purge line nipple. The hairline crack was so fine that you could not see it with the naked eye. I scuffed it up real good and JB Welded it and it held.............. for a couple of years. My neighbor bought it and I showed him the repair. Some time after he had it, the repair failed. So it's only good for a few years if you do a real good job. Replace the tank.

Good call. I'll see if I can find the leak by idling it tomorrow after work. Thanks Larry!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.