Need Help: No start.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Need Help: No start. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Please point me in the right direction. '94 SLS. Car won't start. I've checked the codes and none were stored. ...
    firstimecaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville; 95 FWB

Need Help: No start.

Please point me in the right direction. '94 SLS. Car won't start. I've checked the codes and none were stored. DIC reads 12.0 volts. When I turn the key nothing happens. All of the indicators in the IPC lights up as they are supposed to. Tried to jumpstart, this did not help.

Not sure if the key/lock cylinder has anything to do with it, because last week the key was stuck in the cylinder and refused to move preventing me from switching off. I was forced to kill the engine by pulling the fuel fuse. I lubed the keyway and coaxed the key back with the help of some needle nosed pliers. Since then, I have been thinking about replacing the lock cylinder. But now I am wondering if this is my problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

Re: Need Help: No start.

I have no idea, and I don't know how much a new cylinder is, but with your little problem the other day, that's the first thing I would replace.

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

I recently got a quote from a locksmith who works on Cadillacs that a new ignition tumbler with labor is between $400 and $500. The steering wheel needs to be removed along with the turn signal assembly to get at the tumbler. How has the current tumbler been acting? You didn't get any "theft deterrent" messages? Have you tried starting the car in neutral?

I had previously bypassed the VATS and had no problems until recently with the key deal. Since having to force the key back. To start the car, after inserting the key I had the push in towards the steering column and then turn to start.

With the present problem it seems as if the key is not turning all the way between the RUN and START positions.

greg-sls is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS

It sounds like something has jammed or is broken in the ignition tumbler preventing the contact points to the SER (starter enable relay).

I will start by replacing the lock cylinder.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.