Blew up my motor at 160,000 :)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Blew up my motor at 160,000 :) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I finally did it blewup the motor on my 2000 STS. Having it rebuilt as we speak. New Struts, motor, ...
    crthorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Blew up my motor at 160,000 :)

I finally did it blewup the motor on my 2000 STS. Having it rebuilt as we speak. New Struts, motor, radiator system, new transmission and catalytic converter my car is going to be brand new I am so excited to have a 2000 sts back to new. I cannot wait to get it back on Monday and see what it was like to have the full power of the car. I am so Excited and the best part is my shop is giving me a hugh discount since I am doing this all at once. I will send pics of the car when she is done and send in all the dyno tests if they let me have them. if you live in Phoenix by metro mall check out the CaddiShop on 28 and Cactus this is what I think of this shop

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Shea_G is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Re: Blew up my motor at 160,000 :)

Thats a positive way of looking at it, what the total cost? I always wondered if my engine went, how hard it would be to put in a LS2 or something similar.

I am thinking it is going to cost me 6,000 not too sure until I get the bill.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

What happened? What do you mean by "Blew it up"? Throw a rod?

It ws a head gasket and lower crank case that blew out.

iowasevillests is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab

So where you pushing it hard all the time or was this just a normal driving car with the occassional WOT run?

Oh, OK. I would not consider a gasket failure as "blowing the motor up". To me that involves flying shrapnel.

eXile is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS Z Rated

I push my 156,000 mile N* hard almost everyday. WOT at least once a day, mainly cause I can't get enough of it. Is this something I shouldn't be doing? I figured it wasn't a problem because all I keep reading on here is how N*s are meant to be ran hard.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

He said the lower crankcase blew out - that implies far more than a head gasket - either a rod broke/spun a bearing and/or the head gasket leak became so great that the engine hydrolocked a cylinder with disastrous results.

If the oil pan/half case/cylinder block is holed or cracked, you now have no core exchange, so you need to go to Jake (97EldoCoupe, the stud man ^^^) or call Jasper or one of the other rebuilders and obtain an entire engine.

The 2000+ roller cam follower VIN 9 engine series will fit, but the swap will NOT be inexpensive. I have no opinions as to what caused the engine to blow, but you'll have to admit that it WAS a high-mileage unit. That said, if you're in the habit of running an engine, any engine, hard consistently the maintenance standard becomes more than oil/filter every 5,000 miles. Heavy duty low restriction filtration and high additive load oil packages, in the viscosities recommended for your engine are critical in keeping a high-revving engine together.

Yea I run her pretty hard especially when those BMW 3 series try to race me I have been trying to run her into the ground so I could build her back up all at once. I know that sounds but it is easier..

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    He said the lower crankcase blew out - that implies far more than a head gasket - either a rod broke/spun a bearing and/or the head gasket leak became so great that the engine hydrolocked a cylinder with disastrous results.

If the oil pan/half case/cylinder block is holed or cracked, you now have no core exchange, so you need to go to Jake (97EldoCoupe, the stud man ^^^) or call Jasper or one of the other rebuilders and obtain an entire engine.

The 2000+ roller cam follower VIN 9 engine series will fit, but the swap will NOT be inexpensive. I have no opinions as to what caused the engine to blow, but you'll have to admit that it WAS a high-mileage unit. That said, if you're in the habit of running an engine, any engine, hard consistently the maintenance standard becomes more than oil/filter every 5,000 miles. Heavy duty low restriction filtration and high additive load oil packages, in the viscosities recommended for your engine are critical in keeping a high-revving engine together.
    That would certainly qualify as a "blowing it up". I thought he was talking about gaskets.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Pictures of the aftermath would be entertaining!

Rafterd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS, 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins

DYNANITE!!!!

Bill

here are all the pics of my car as they worked on it and the end result.
    Attached Images

Sorry I did not get any pics of the car when she was smoking I was not thinking about that ( I was thinking OMFG ) but they were able to salvage the block and heads so it wasn't as bad as I thought, the cost to repair everything I said above was 4,275 the block the pistons and the crank shaft was fine but there was this thing that had all the chains hooked to had almost snapped. and there was something else that broke I know I suck at information about a motor but that is not my field of work my field is IT.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.