Anyone on here ever replaced a trans in a 95 eldo N*?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Anyone on here ever replaced a trans in a 95 eldo N*? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Doing a trans swap in my 95 eldorado and was just curious what all tools will I need? Driving about ...
    fatboi07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Anyone on here ever replaced a trans in a 95 eldo N*?

Doing a trans swap in my 95 eldorado and was just curious what all tools will I need? Driving about an hour to pull the donor trans so trying to bring everything first shot. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Anyone on here ever replaced a trans in a 95 eldo N*?

Well, it's pretty labor intensive. I just did it in my dads 99 eldorado. I changed the whole drivetrain in my 94 though. How are you planning on taking it out? I dropped the cradle, then lifted the engine off and changed the transmission that way. I needed an engine hoist (to lift the car, and then the engine from the cradle). It's not easy. You need a lot of tools. I think the sizes I used were 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 15mm, and 18mm (13 and 15 are the most common). Then I used a lot of screwdrivers and pliers.

Here's my thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-hg-fixed.html

The 99 and the 95 aren't that much different as far as the technique goes. The only difference is the wiring harness and the placement of the PCM. In the 95 the PCM is under the dashboard whereas in the 99 it's underneath the air filter in the intake duct.

Holy balls batman!!! Is the way you did it the only way to do it? Must I drop the whole cradle like that? Ive never seen anything like that before. Im kinda in shock and hoping there is an easier way. Fyi im using alldata for my information source.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The car needs to be lifted off the drivetrain. Take a look at all the recent threads and pictures concerning pallet jacks, transmission jacks, torque convertors, transmission seals, final drives, CV joints, swaps,..............Trouble is the transmission is built up into the car: you have to remove the car !!!

Crap that kinda sucks. Well Im hoping since Ive reset the codes and now all Im getting is a knock sensor circuitry failure code that A.) something will show itself soon or B.) someone will be able to point be in the right direction. Sounds like bad b shift solenoid but no code for it so im like wtf lol. Would a obd1 scanner pull up anything the self diagnostics wouldnt?

Sticking shift solenoids don't cause codes to pop up in most cases. The only time it will cause a code to come up would be if there was something wrong with the wiring to the solenoid.

Oh really now? Hm ive been hearing the other way around but as I havnt been able to get a clear answer yet ill take your word for it. Is there any self service tests I can run through the on board diagnostics to tell mee ya or naigh or is the only way to find out just to change it and go from there?

Well after reading roughly 30 posts, being up for roughly 48 staright hours and browsing through about 60+ pages from cadillac owners.com and caddy info.com combined I think I need to install the updated solenoid kit in my 95 eldorado. I ordered 2 seperate solenoids from oreillys but im going to take those back tomorrow and get the gm kit with the 2 solenoids, small square filter, and L bracket. I have the pan off and nothing too terrible in there. I saw the lower assembly and Ill be honest Im a little nervous. It look kinda daunting. I read on alldata certain bolts on the valve body shouldnt be removed. I can not for the life of me find a diagram on alldata or anywhere for that matter showing me which need to come out so I dont fubar anything up. After that I think it should be smooth sailing. If anyone has any links with the above info it would be more than appreciated. Thanks agian so much cadillacforums.

Try this to see if you can make your trans shift:
    -Go into diagnostics mode (engine running). When it reaches "PCM?" press the fan up button
    -Press the fan down button until you reach "PCM OVERRIDE?" and press the fan up button to enter that menu
    -Press the fan up or down button until you reach "PS11" (Transaxle override). Leave it there
    -Start driving. You now have a manual transmission. Use the Cooler (blue) button to upshift and the warmer (red) button to downshift.

If the transmission wont shift doing this, your solenoids are definitely not working properly.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

There are at least two threads with diagrams. I don't have them saved though so it means more searching. Try tech tips to limit you searching. Maybe someone bookmarked one of them.

The solenoids sticking and not posting a code is very common. You did the right thing getting the kit.

sweet good deal guys thanks. Ive already pulled the pan and scavanger screens or id try the override. heck even once i get everything together and working ill probably try it anyways just to try it out lol. Yep more searching ahead lol. Like i said i foundthe checkball locations just need the bolt pattern.

Well quicky update. Apparently you can just pull all the bolts you see on the lower side of the valve body as the ones on the top are what actually hold the 2 (upper and lower) sections together. So i pulled my valve body took it apart (a shift solenoid was indeed broken) noted location of checkballs, cleaned it out with brake-clean real well and let it air dry, then replaced my a and b solenoids, the mini filter in between and re-assembled with the longer screw and bracket. I reinstalled everything along with new scavanger screens and still no luck. I tried the p11 pcm override test and I do have 3rd and 4th now, but 1st and 2nd still wont engage. They just slip as if the car is in neutral. I pulled my dtcs and Im getting a p56 current, p76 history, p86 history, a p132 current, and a s71 history. I did read on alldata something about positioning the low/reverse band with .002-.003in shim? I however did not do this as in my reading on both this and another caddy forum I did not see anything about anyone positioning this band. I did however wiggle my bands just a tad while the valve body was out just to see what they felt like and they were loose. (not sure if they are/are not supposed to be loose, but figured Id put that in there just incase it means anything. I think I may indeed need a new or rebuild on my trans. Thanks for reading and any insight would be much appreciated.

bump

bump hopin someone sees this and can shed more light on the subject.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the valve body bolts? Very easy to overtighten them and put binds on the valve body. I think they are rated as 8 ft lbs or something near that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.