4.6 code P032 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 4.6 code P032 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There probably is. It would be in the FSM. That said, I don't recall a bad CKP sensor causing a ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 4.6 code P032

There probably is. It would be in the FSM. That said, I don't recall a bad CKP sensor causing a no start. Maybe if both failed at the same time, though that seems rather unlikely.

semperfimama is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 eldorado

Well i've got fuel,air,spark, and no codes. Apparently the OBD1 system has no code to report an error with the CKP (s). Th e Chilton's manual says that the engine will start with camshaft position sensor not functional so long as the CKP is outputting a signal. The front bank of cylinders are dripping with unburned gas, yet I have spark to all of them. I'm thinking its just spraying and sparking at the wrong times.

Question Re: 4.6 code P032

Well I just discovered a severe kink in the return fuel line. Where the three lines come up on the driverside of the engine there is the supply,the return, and a vaccum line. The fuel line without the shrader valve is kinked about 3/4 of the way through. Could this be basically flooding the engine by not providing a path back to the tank?

Well I had a Caddy repair guy come out and take a look. We did some brain storming and discovered that The Ignition Control Module seems to be cutting off power to the injectors. All the sensor inputs to the ICM are good and the FP relay checks out. I found a place that says they can test the ICM which is good because the lowest price I have found is $340!!

Well I had it tested and its working fine so...must be either the ECU or the wiring between the two.

After reinstalling the ICM it runs again (still with the p032 though). I have an account with alldata and using their troubleshooting charts i've checked the wiring between the MAP and PCM and everything checks out. So this proves its the PCM.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

So far you've proved it to be a lot of things.... Are you sure this time?

If the spark plugs were coated in fuel, I would be inclined to think that it's a spark problem. However that ever-present code (P032) means that the PCM is compensating for it by defaulting to a different programming. Are you sure that the wires to the MAP sensor are ok? I would get an ohmmeter with long test probe wires to check if the wiring is good (there is also a fat gray plug under the TB that continues that circuit as well as for all the fuel injectors. Ohh and the ICM doesn't control the fuel injectors, the PCM does.). Those wires have probably been through a lot in the 15 years of the cars life. A car has every condition that electrical devices hate; It has dramatic temperature changes, vibration, moisture, and the wires are moved whenever anything is fixed. It's amazing to me that these cars aren't electrical nightmares yet.

Well the guys at the shop that replaced the map sensor removed some insulation from the wiring when back probing and forgot to repair it. I got rid of the p032. Now she runs great until the temp reaches 201 where I get P071 (intermitent map failure). I hooked up the vacuum gauge to the MAP and followed all the tests on alldata and it checked out perfect. Tried tapping on it while someone else monitored PD02 and it holds steady.

Ok i've confirmed that it starts the surging and throws the P071 only when it gets up to 201F (according to the instrument center). It runs great until then. Anyone have any ideas? This is my moms car and shes been borrowing my bronco for the last month while this things been down.

I think it's the wiring... Simply loosing its connection when it gets hot.

I'll double check, just seems odd that it does it right at 201. The last thing on the troubleshooting flow chart is checking ground connections G100, G102, and G400. They were all pretty dirty but I cleaned them good and checked the resistance back to the battery....all good.

The thing that got me off track was that I mistook the vacuum sensor on the brake booster for the MAP. Apparently it is a MAP sensor its just not used as such on this car.

Well the wiring is good, but in checking it I may have discovered the real problem. With the manifold cover off to check the map sensor I turned the key ON to enter diagnostics and #8 injector sprays gas all over the place! #8 cylinder is the front rightmost one directly in front of where the harness pops up under the manifold. Obviously this is a problem, but could it explain why it throws P071 once warm only? Im thinking once the engine is warm it changes the fuel curve and thats when the leaking injector really causes problems?

Well the fuel leak was a non-issue, the fuel inlet behind the harness wasn't seating properly. In order to get to it I had to pull the harness and everything up where I Sthat almost all of the wires in the harness had LARGE amounts of insulation removed. Never seen anything quiet like this before. Some look like people cut it out for testing, others have been crushed.....big mess. Basically all the sensors/and maybe some of the injectors were shorted toghether. I think maybe when the IAS got warm it was shorting out the MAP at a given temperature since it allways did it at exactly the same temp. Anyways I wrapped everything up really good and she seems to be fixed. Check out the photos.
    Attached Images

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Mice?

Wow... Well I'm glad you found and fixed your problem! However strange it was... lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.