4.6 code P032 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 4.6 code P032 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I can't get it to start that way either, thats why i went ahead and checked the fuel pressure too....
    semperfimama is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 eldorado

Re: 4.6 code P032

I can't get it to start that way either, thats why i went ahead and checked the fuel pressure too.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by semperfimama View Post
    The proceedure for setting the minimum idle screw on the TB says to move the thing completly out of the ways and unplug it so that it has no effect on engine RPM. Then your supposed to an idle of about 450rpm no?
    Yeah, now that you mention it I believe that is correct. I was thinking IAC valve.

Have you checked to be sure you have ignition?

No, thats what i was thinking though. Got air and fuel. Whats the best way to do it ? Check resistance across each coil pack?

I'd get an old spark plug. Pull one wire and plug the old plug into it and ground the base somewhere (don't hold onto it). have someone crank the engine and watch for a spark to jump the electrodes. If you don't have an old plug, pull one of yours and use it.

Question Re: 4.6 code P032

Well ive got spark to all plugs. Im running out of ideas. It turns over starts for a moment but then immediatly dies. If it would run at all id probably still get a p032. Can't get it to start with either MAP sensor installed though. I've got the ISC unplugged and completly removed from the vehicle at the moment.

malcolm1888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 eldorado

bulletin No.:47-60-07

date:december,1994

subject:

Clicking noise under dash or hood(clean throttle body bore and blade)

condition

during a key on or key off the isc motor may ratchet. the condition may be identified as a clicking noise under dash or hood. the duration of the ratcheting may be up to 20 seconds. the racheting condition may occure more frequently when starting the engine cold or at higher altitudes.

cause

the isc motor ratcheting is caused when the motor is commanded to extend beyond its mechanical limits. when the tp sensor learn is correct (at minimum air, the throttle lever rests on the minimum air screw) and the isc maximum extend position is properly adjusted, the motor will not be commanded to move beyond the mechanical limit.

correction

The throttle body bore and blade should be cleaned and relearned using the folowing prosedure

IMPORTANT

if it is suspected that the isc maximum extend position had been adjusted without cleaning the bore, it should be checked and readjusted if required. Cleaning the throttle bore should be preformed before preforming the idle speed controle system checking procedure

Throttle body cleaning procedure

remove or disconnect air intake duct from throttle body

inspect throttle body bore and throttle valve plate using a clean shop towle with GM top engine cleaner, P/N 1052626 or AC-DELCO cerburetor tune up conditioner, P/N X66-P, or equivalent product.

Notice:do not use any solvent that contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). This solvent may damage fuel system components.

For G car

intal or connect

1.air intake duct at throttle body.

2. run tach 1 p sensor and idle learn procedure.

For E,K,and or K special

install or connect

1.air intake duct at throttle body

2.enter diagnostics; select pcm override ps13.

3.press the "COOLER" button

4.Key "off" for 30 seconds (do not exit diagnostics)

5. preform tp sensor/idle learn procedure

malcolm1888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 eldorado

source alldata

Ok, so its looking like its the CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor). I'm having a hard time finding it to verify. Is it up near the oil filter?

Reasons I suspect CKP

It will start, but only for a few seconds
    No codes
    The front bank of plugs are covered in gas
    Got spark to all cylinders
    Got steady 40psi at the shraeder valve (even when turning over the engine)
    Before it stopped running all toghether I correctly set the minimum idle set screw and it hasn't changed since then (loctite)
    If it was the camshaft position sensor it should throw a code, and according to the chilton's manual its capable of running in "limp" mode without it so long as the CKP is functioning.
    Cadillac mechanic told me that even a good ISC motor would go crazy in an attempt to correct for this kind of condition.

Oh also need to know if I have to drain the oil before pulling the Crankshaft Position Sensor or not.

CKP sensors are above the oil filter adapter. No need to drain the oil, but you do need to remove the adapter. Sub has posted the diagram many times.

Ok I found a diagram of the locations of the sensors. What is the oil filter adapter? The thing the oil filter screws into? Don't want a whole bunch of oil coming out unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfimama View Post
    Ok I found a diagram of the locations of the sensors. What is the oil filter adapter? The thing the oil filter screws into? Don't want a whole bunch of oil coming out unexpectedly.
    Yes. You might get some residual oil dripping, but it won't drain the crankcase. Pull the filter first as it will be full of oil.

OK, got the sensors and the oil filter adapter out. The oil filter adapter is HEAVILY encrusted with oil. If I remove the sensor from it, is there anything else inside of it that would be damaged from dunking it in parts cleaner?

Also i'm still lookingfor the test proceedure for determining if one or both of the crankshaft position sensors are bad now that I have them out.

If I remove the sensor from it, is there anything else inside of it that would be damaged from dunking it in parts cleaner?
    I don't think so.

Also i'm still lookingfor the test proceedure for determining if one or both of the crankshaft position sensors are bad now that I have them out.
    If you replace one, replace them both.

Is there a way to verify its bad? I know better than to only replace one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.