Engine swap: 94 to 97 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Engine swap: 94 to 97 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thinking about doing this, if its possible. The 94 has a lot lower k's. My 97 still has lots of ...
    ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Engine swap: 94 to 97 STS

Thinking about doing this, if its possible. The 94 has a lot lower k's. My 97 still has lots of power and gets good mileage (30+ mpg hiway) but its burning oil (maybe a litre every 1000 km... i do NOT baby this car) and sounds very ill. About to roll 300,000 km on the 97. The 94 has a rebuilt trans with less than 10,000 on it. Was actualy thinking about a rebuild on the 94, drive the 97 til it pukes and maybe swap in a 'fresh' engine. I'm confident the 97 will last the summer if i keep the oil topped up, that gives me lots of time to play with the 94 once its out.

Question is.... are there any major differences that will prevent the swap? Im hoping majority of electrical, harness etc.. will be kept from the 97. Just drop the 94 engine in and plug it all in? (that is... not drop, but raise it in? from under the car heh.. )

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Engine swap: 94 to 97 STS

The 94 models use OBD-I diagnostic and data transmission protocol, while 96 and later use the OBD-II. I don't think the two drivetrains/car controls are electrically or data compatible.

rabbit_man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 eldorado

Re: Engine swap: 94 to 97 STS

I was wondering the same thing, but reversed. I have a 94 eldorado that i would like to upgrade to the OSD2 diagnostic, is it possible without replacing everything and being a lot more trouble than it is worth?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.