Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vibration

stealthregal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS
    Northern Michigan

Ok, I own a 2001 SLS that has a vibration feeling in the steering wheel. I don't think this is the normal front end vibration problem with my car.

A little history first. I had a front wheel bearing go on me that I decided to replace. The whole process when south in a hurry and I wound up using a torch to get the bearing off since no amount of break free, heat, wax, bfh, or tension with a puller was going to remove it (sheared part of the plate off that the studs press into). After it was off I discovered that I had peened the end of the axle shaft some when trying to remove the bearing. I tired to grind the first two threads down and clean the rest up but decided to order a new axle to save time. My car is now back together and I have a vibration in the front that I did not have in the past. My tires were getting worn up front so I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle Response Edges that I had road force balanced. I also replace the front rotors and had a four wheel alignment done. I still have a slight vibration. It builds with speed and I notice it when turning the car (kind of feels like a slight binding). I spoke to a mechanic and he doesn't think the axle is the problem. Like I said the car rode great before the wheel bearing replacement.

For the bearing assemblies I bought Timken parts and torqued everything to spec. The axle is a carquest part.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could buy a different axle and swap it out but want to limit any other possibilities first. I know that this sounds a little picky but this car rode smooth and I spent a fair amount of money for it. Thanks for any suggestions or help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 66500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
    MD Eastern Shore, Kent Island

Re: Vibration

Probably not the axle assembly.

Get the front end back up on jackstands and remove the wheels and rotors. Make very sure that the rotor-to-hub and wheel-to-rotor mating surfaces are absolutely clean. A small rust chip or sticky ID label in a new rotor will cause enough runout to give you a high speed shimmy.

Torque the wheel studs to 100 ft/lb in a star pattern.

+ Reply to Thread

Cadillac Posting Rules