Hub/Bearing and Axle: Diagnosis and Decision
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Hub/Bearing and Axle: Diagnosis and Decision in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I asked about this is another thread, wanted to move it here and stay on topic. 98 Seville. Had it ...
    kjd03842 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille DTS

Hub/Bearing and Axle: Diagnosis and Decision

I asked about this is another thread, wanted to move it here and stay on topic.

98 Seville. Had it up on jacks this afternoon. The noise is most prominent from the left inner joint assembly. Pretty bad, actually. Grinding / growling when the car is in gear.

So while I may still have some bearing noise, I definitely have an axle problem. At 180K, considering I want to keep it on the road a while longer, should I just go ahead and replace axles and hub/bearings on both sides while I'm at it? Maybe even struts while I'm in there?

Your opinion counts, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

finerwoodworking is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003Cadillac Seville STS 75,000k

Re: Hub/Bearing and Axle: Diagnosis and Decision

Had on bearing go out at 45k on the right front. The other is now going out on the left side at 48K and need to replace it now. When it was making the noise it was a weird sound and I thought it was the axle, or even a bad tire. I can't believe that the OEM bearings can be so crappy to go out in only 45k. No wonder GM is going down the toilet.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I just replaced my right front ORIGINAL bearing/hub assembly. It had 150,000 miles on it. My left seems fine except for a Speed Sensor fault once in a while when wet and going over big bumps. I haven't had time to see if its corroded wiring or what.

If it were me, I'd replace the hubs, at least the one that is making the noise for sure. But I'm also wanting to get 200,000 miles on it before I retire it!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by finerwoodworking View Post
    Had on bearing go out at 45k on the right front. The other is now going out on the left side at 48K and need to replace it now. When it was making the noise it was a weird sound and I thought it was the axle, or even a bad tire. I can't believe that the OEM bearings can be so crappy to go out in only 45k. No wonder GM is going down the toilet.
    45K is a fluke. Sold my '97 with 107K on it and never replaced one. '96 Bonneville has 160 and never been replaced.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Ever since purchasing my DHS (hybrid DTS interior ;-) ) I noticed while braking at high speed a vibration much like a warped rotor. This past weekend I went to get a lifetime alignment at Firestone and they came back telling me the left hub has play in it. I got this car at 76K miles. Now has 81K. I do sometimes feel it has the tendency to "channel" itself on cracks on the road, but that could be my imagination.

Needless to say, the hub will be repaired. the oddity is the part that the Firestone wrote down does not say "wheelspeed sensor" included. So I wonder if it's a separate entity? Obviously I'm going with the AC Delco one with the built-in wheelspeed sensor.

Question: how difficult is it to replace these things? I've replaced radiators, and done brake jobs, installed a blower motor (twice, complete with engine tilt), replaced oil cooler lines too.

What tools do I need?

Thanks.

med
    med is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS "CADDYSNACK"

I did my 94 STS several months ago. I had to use a torque wrench and a slide hammer. Unfortunately, normal hub pullers didn't work, so I used a NAPA 775-3911 slide hammer puller set. If your year is anything like mine then I believe you can do the job!

Not a bad job. I did one on my '92 and it took me less than an hour. You will need a big 34mm socket for the axle nut.

kjd03842 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille DTS

Mine has that brake wobble too, I always figured tie rods just cause I hear so much about them here. Happens at city speeds too now. Brakes/rotors/calipers < 1yrs old, AC/delco.
    Bearings make sense. I'm really leaning toward doing both sides, bearings and axles. 180k -- I've gotten my money's worth.

No mechanic has ever said my struts are bad, but I definitely wonder about those at this high mileage. What do I look for?

ibdjakeson2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS, 2000 Seville SLS, 2004 Escalade AWD Std

Great info on the vibration upon breaking. Always wondered what that was, now I will research more closely.
    Since you guys are on this topic, I've got a quick question. Every so often when I enter an uneven driveway or make a full left or right hand turn, I'll hear and arbitrary "pop" like an older balljoint used to make when they were going bad. I've noticed this on both my STS and my mother's SLS (both 00 models). I was wondering if this was common? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Slay

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Leave the struts alone unless they have failed - they are expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by ibdjakeson2 View Post
    Great info on the vibration upon breaking. Always wondered what that was, now I will research more closely.
    Since you guys are on this topic, I've got a quick question. Every so often when I enter an uneven driveway or make a full left or right hand turn, I'll hear and arbitrary "pop" like an older balljoint used to make when they were going bad. I've noticed this on both my STS and my mother's SLS (both 00 models). I was wondering if this was common? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Slay
    Sounds like maybe a CV joint.

finerwoodworking is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003Cadillac Seville STS 75,000k

Quote Originally Posted by ibdjakeson2 View Post
    Slay
    How about a strut bearing, it could be bad?

jbrown93etc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Touring Coupe

A torque wrench is not necessary to do the job (but would have been nice), I just used a long breaker bar. I'd say there are less steps than replacing the radiator but requires a little more muscle. Not bad at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.