Strut Replacements
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Strut Replacements in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The struts on my 97' Eldo just went out and I found out that the OEM replacements are a grand ...
    iJAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Eldo Touring

Cool Strut Replacements

The struts on my 97' Eldo just went out and I found out that the OEM replacements are a grand per tire if I take it in and about half that if I do it myself. I was just curious to know if anyone is familiar with the conversion kits? They are much cheaper but I also don't want to compromise the "Cadillac" ride. Does anyone have any experience/insight on these struts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Re: Strut Replacements

i am in the same boat as you you think junk yards will have some?

I've checked some of the local and surrounding junk yards. They have them but I dont really like the idea because you don't know what your getting and for double the work.

l306x is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS 1998 Aurora (baby northstar)

I got my 94 sts with arnott shocks and struts on it. JUNK JUNK JUNK both my rear shocks do not hold air (the boots have rips in them)The kit is like 5 years old. And for the "lifetime guarantee" that is void if the car is sold so good luck. I talked arnott they will "give me a discount on a new kit" WOW thanks a lot. Dont put lifetime guarantee all over your web site if it is not true

That's exactly who I was gonna buy from. Unless I can find any other aftermarket struts I'm goin with the OEM's.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Wow iJAC, I have a full set of Arnotts on a lowered Eibach'd 98 ETC that I installed myself 2 years ago for $1200 including all 4 corners, a set of Eibach springs, new front strut mounts, all new rubber isolators and boots. There are ways to do i cheaper for sure but Arnotts are not 'junk' and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

carguyshu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just go to gmpartsdirect.com and order some passive (w/o realtime dampening) AC-delco front struts, they are only $96 each for the front and $103 each for the rears (air suspension still works, the realtime dampening is all that doesn't - basically your just using SLS shocks)...and its AC-delco.

You can then go to radio shack and for 99 cents get the resisters you need to make it so you don't have to pay that ridiculous amount extra you do to have those 'conversion kit struts.' Radio Shack item #217-1124, (4.7K Ohm, 1/2 watt) is what you need. Just plug them into the connector that you unplug from the old struts and the computer is tricked. No codes. Pretty easy. You should def. replace your strut mounts when you do it too.

I did this on my 00 STS. Worked perfect.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...orthwhile.html

apparently someone else got them even cheaper at a local parts store than on Gmparts direct too.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

Here are shocks distributed by Suncore Industries with a lifetime warranty.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

I disabled the Service suspention light and replace my struts with some Ac Delcos I got on discount from rockauto. Rides a little on the stiffer side still smooth but not as comfy as say my '85 Park Avenue.

lonscholl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 sts

oem strut prices way outa line! i bought set of front struts for my 01 STS from strutmasters for 400plus 30 ship. they came with new springs &strt bearing. i was happy with the ease of install and hav no probs with dash lites because the included resistors. watch your statements tho i got double charged - they were happy to fix that the day i calld. if i were you id buy kit i got- no screwing around w spring compressrs or ten year old parts

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I am definitely weighing the options. Does anyone have experience with these as far as ride quality is concerned?

I guess I really just wanna know what the difference is between an active strut and a passive strut???

SwampeastMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by iJAC View Post
    I guess I really just wanna know what the difference is between an active strut and a passive strut???
    Simply worded explanation:

Think of a passive (normal) shock or strut as two balloons filled with thick oil connected by a little tube with a crimp in the middle. When the strut moves up or down, one or the other balloon is compressed and the thick oil it contains has to move through the tube and crimp and expand the other balloon. This takes time and the movement is dampened.

An active strut or shock is the same thing except the crimp is a simple digital solenoid valve opening and closing at rapid, timed pulses. Since the thick oil hasn't changed, the effect of the rapidly opening and closing solenoid valve is to change the time that it takes to squoosh from one balloon to the other and the damping (time) becomes variable. While the change in time is fast, it takes real time to make a change--and the bigger the change the more time, because the solenoid can only cycle; not instantly vary its size.

The latest active stut or shock changes the "thickness" of the oil. It's called magnetorheological fluid. Literally a moving (log), runny (rheo), magnet. The crimp stays the same and with magnetic fluid it responds exactly to the control frequency no matter the magnitude of change.

Dan78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Eldorado

I have had the Arnott replacements on my car for a week now and I have no complaints whatsoever. The ride is firmer, but not uncomfortable. The rear air shocks retain all of the factory level control and the dummy sensors included have eliminated the service ride control messages. I am very pleased with them thus far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.