80s Eldorados...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 80s Eldorados... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; anyone know anything about the 80s RWD Eldorados? like what platform do they share with other GM cars? i was ...
    DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

80s Eldorados...

anyone know anything about the 80s RWD Eldorados? like what platform do they share with other GM cars? i was thinking they share the same chassie as the cutlass and stuff, if so i think i know of a great project car...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
    All the Eldo's from the 80's were FWD.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: 80s Eldorados...

Mr. 1953 is correct. Come to think of it, since 1967, there haven't been anything BUT FWD Eldorados.

The 79-85 Eldos were the same platform as the Buick Riviera and Olds Toronado. They started with the Olds 350 engine (79-80), followed by the 368ci V8-6-4 (1981), and finished up with the HT4100 (82-85). There was also a very rare 4.1L V6.

From '86-'90 I think they were pretty much a plush version of the Buick Regal, just like the Seville was a plush Buick LeSabre.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Mr. 1953 is correct. Come to think of it, since 1967, there haven't been anything BUT FWD Eldorados.

The 79-85 Eldos were the same platform as the Buick Riviera and Olds Toronado. They started with the Olds 350 engine (79-80), followed by the 368ci V8-6-4 (1981), and finished up with the HT4100 (82-85). There was also a very rare 4.1L V6.

From '86-'90 I think they were pretty much a plush version of the Buick Regal, just like the Seville was a plush Buick LeSabre.
    '86 & '87 Regals were RWD. They didn't get front drive until '88.

that sucks, so no rwd eldos after the 70s? guess that just leaves coupe devilles for a rwd 2 door.

well what about this one....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6147
    the motor is mounted north/south, like a rwd car. i know the 89-92 cars are fwd, but the early 80s seem to be rwd.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    It's FWD too. All Eldorados built after '66 were FWD. I had had a '72 Eldo. The motor was north/south.....it was FWD. Not all FWD cars have the motor setting east/west.

thats odd, i saw a really nice coupe deville, rwd one, i like em.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    No, no, no...

You're telling me that the early '79-85 Eldorado was FWD? It looks just like the RWD platform used on the Grand Prix, Cutluss, Monte Carlo and Regals.

That just sucks!

See picture here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/cadilla...es/eldo79.html

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

lux hauler is correct. They were all FWD from the late 60's up. Some were longitudinal mount engines, some were transverse mount, but ALL WERE FWD.

steelerfan is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    1967-1970

The 1967 Eldorado was unlike every previous Cadillac not only in that it had front-wheel drive but in style and attitude. Cadillac had never before made a coupe with no accompanying sedan (there wouldn't be a four-door front-drive Caddy until the 1980 Seville), and the '67 Eldorado was also the only coupe that wasn't offered as a convertible. And no Cadillac had ever looked like the hidden-headlight, aggressively modern '67 Eldorado, either. Credit GM designer Bill Mitchell for the truly gorgeous, almost arrogant '67 Eldo.

Beneath its skin, the '67 Eldorado had at least as much in common with the Oldsmobile Toronado as it did with any other Caddy. The Toronado had ushered in front-wheel drive to the General Motors lineup the previous year, and most of that car's structure and drivetrain carried over to the Eldo. Most prominent of the shared pieces was the Turbohydramatic three-speed automatic transaxle, which essentially put the transmission beside the longitudinally mounted engine, with power transmitted by a chain. Also coming over from the Toronado was the A-arm front suspension incorporating long torsion bars instead of coil springs and the solid rear axle with leaf springs.

Obviously, though, the Eldorado needed Cadillac power, and it used the same 340 horsepower 429-cubic-inch V8 as other Caddies with changes in the exhaust manifolds, oil pan and accessory drive system to accommodate the peculiar drivetrain.

Way to go Steelerfan!

My grandfather bought a '66 Toronado and was one of the first people in this part of the country to do so. He just had to have it. He traded it in on a brand new '69 model.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    FWD....on domestics started in '67?

wow, news to me, I thought for Caddy it was the '85 DeVille

damn, '67.....

Although, if the engine is actually mounted the correct way, that is alittle better..... but I sill would want RWD

The Toronado came out in '66. It initially had a 425. In '68 they went with the 455, which was (I think) the largest engine Oldsmobile ever put out.
    At the time, Caddy already had a 429 and 472.

The rear-end of the 67-69 Eldorados is about the best looking thing Cadillac ever put out, IMO. If you look closely, the 79-85 Eldorados kind of returned to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.