help with E049
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, help with E049 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I just posted on the purchase of a 1990 eldorado. Ever since I've known this car, it's given ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Question help with E049

Hey guys,

I just posted on the purchase of a 1990 eldorado. Ever since I've known this car, it's given the e049 code for the air management system, but never bothered to repair it as the owner never wanted to spend the cash to repair it. Now it's in my hands and I'd like to get rid of the SES light.

Back when I replaced the exhaust system on this car, I noticed that the air tube running to the catalytic converter was rusted out. I replaced it along with the exhaust, assuming it would kill the SES light, killing 2 birds with one stone. That wasn't the case however.

Now that I own the car I've been looking at the issue more closely. So far I've just replaced the diverter valve with a used junkyard unit. This did not cure the problem either.

I'm not sure of where the air should be directed under certain conditions. I plan to take a trip to the local library this week to take a look at the MOTORS books they have in stock for the diagnosing procedures. I don't have an FSM, but I consider these books to do pretty well, especially since they are free to use.

I read somewhere recently that a leaking injector can cause this code to trip. I have noted that the car has a slight miss at idle, it can be felt in gear. It is a rythmic miss, indicating it's most likely isolated to one cylinder. I have replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs all at the same time, with no change in the miss. I'm wondering if anyone has some clever techniques to diagnosing, or at least confirming the possibility of a leaking injector before I pull the fuel rail. I'd also appreciate if anyone could explain why a leaking injector could cause this code to be set...

After typing that, I suppose I should check the pressure regulator as well, since I guess it could cause similar symptoms to a leaking injector

Other than the *slight* miss at idle this car runs great. I'd like to add that the car even delivers fantastic fuel mileage, at 26 on the highway and 21 in the rural city. The car also gives great power throughout it's RPM range. I'm guessing this is the reason the previous owner never cared to fix it.

Hearing any experience with this or a similar problem would be great. Please fill me in if you have any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: help with E049

I had an intermittent E49 on my 1990 CDV - replaced the switching/divert valve as well and it did not go away. However, it did not occur that often either so a reset by clearing codes would buy me a few months. With FSM you should be able to individually disable cylinders through diagnostics so that may be the key to isolating your problem. Check eBay.

Thanks for the reply,

I was considering leaving it as well, since mine also appears infrequently. Still kind of bothers me though and I'd like to take care of it if possible.

I have what I consider to be a great supplement to an FSM. I am aware of the capabilities of shutting down individual injectors. I could try but I thought since the miss can be hard to feel at times, it would not be easy to pinpoint it this way. But I may not have another option really.

Just kind of wondering about the theory behind a leaking injector tripping this code before I go any further... Any ideas from anyone?

BDCadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Hey guys,

I just posted on the purchase of a 1990 eldorado. Ever since I've known this car, it's given the e049 code for the air management system, but never bothered to repair it as the owner never wanted to spend the cash to repair it. Now it's in my hands and I'd like to get rid of the SES light.

Back when I replaced the exhaust system on this car, I noticed that the air tube running to the catalytic converter was rusted out. I replaced it along with the exhaust, assuming it would kill the SES light, killing 2 birds with one stone. That wasn't the case however.

Now that I own the car I've been looking at the issue more closely. So far I've just replaced the diverter valve with a used junkyard unit. This did not cure the problem either.

I'm not sure of where the air should be directed under certain conditions. I plan to take a trip to the local library this week to take a look at the MOTORS books they have in stock for the diagnosing procedures. I don't have an FSM, but I consider these books to do pretty well, especially since they are free to use.

I read somewhere recently that a leaking injector can cause this code to trip. I have noted that the car has a slight miss at idle, it can be felt in gear. It is a rythmic miss, indicating it's most likely isolated to one cylinder. I have replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs all at the same time, with no change in the miss. I'm wondering if anyone has some clever techniques to diagnosing, or at least confirming the possibility of a leaking injector before I pull the fuel rail. I'd also appreciate if anyone could explain why a leaking injector could cause this code to be set...

After typing that, I suppose I should check the pressure regulator as well, since I guess it could cause similar symptoms to a leaking injector

Other than the *slight* miss at idle this car runs great. I'd like to add that the car even delivers fantastic fuel mileage, at 26 on the highway and 21 in the rural city. The car also gives great power throughout it's RPM range. I'm guessing this is the reason the previous owner never cared to fix it.

Hearing any experience with this or a similar problem would be great. Please fill me in if you have any ideas.
    This sounds almost exactly what is happning with my seville. i need help with it. i hate that ses light. except i havent started to repair it i just got E049 today

What ended up happening with this car is one of the check valves on the AIR system were leaking. This was sending hot exhaust gasses up to the diverter valuve, destroying the diaphragms. In turn, this was causing the system to pump fresh air to the front exhaust manifold, full time. Since the fresh air gets pumped AHEAD of the oxy sensor, it was screwing with the fuel trim, causing the miss and stumble. The fuel trim on the left bank was maxed out (160) while this problem was occuring.

To repair the problem, I needed to replace both check valves and the dirverter valve. This brought the fuel trim back to normal and consequently the code disappeared.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.